Mercedes' foot

Smallvol#1

MarchMatters
Anyone have an update on Mercedes? I knew she was getting beat last year because she didn't jump. I thought it was because she had not had to do so in high school and now she was going to have to learn to play against other big girls. But if her foot hurt as badly as Holly said, then it's no wonder she wasn't jumping!

Sometimes things you don't know make a huge difference. If she goes into the season 100 percent maybe we'll see the player we were expecting.

Reactions: 2 people
Yeah she sure seemed pretty immobile for much of the season. I remember seeing her make a quick move once that surprised me... just a little drive to the basket. Maybe we will see more of that. You can't drive a Mercedes with a bad wheel.

Reactions: 1 person
She did not perform anything like the top player in the freshmen class....She was a disappointment....Perhaps the foot had something to do with her very mediocre season...Sure hope so.

Mercedes will help this team. She isn't quite as talented as No. 1 prospects tend to be--and it goes without saying that she wasn't developed much by our staff. I watched at least 10 UT games on TV and did not see her make ONE post move and shot all year--not one. Astounding. Maybe she did in games I didn't see, but I doubt it.

My question is...When did Holly find out she was hurt. If she knew all along, I don't think I would like that.

Get Well Mercedes, good luck this coming year.

Mercedes will help this team. She isn't quite as talented as No. 1 prospects tend to be--and it goes without saying that she wasn't developed much by our staff. I watched at least 10 UT games on TV and did not see her make ONE post move and shot all year--not one. Astounding. Maybe she did in games I didn't see, but I doubt it.

I saw her make quite a few later in the season and considering her foot problem which is being repaired, I think she will be a very productive player this Fall.

Reactions: 4 people
did they say anything about when the injury occurred ? and here is to hoping for a speedy reovery

Always have to make your dig at the coaching, huh?:eek:k:

who the heck is the team trainer? needs fired if they can't figure out a player is hurting.

Did you pay any attention to the OP? Maybe there was a reason.

Mercedes Foot..... Hubbs shoulder..... Candace Parker Knee.... etc. etc. etc. Freshman Health Issues.

Oh well. Proud to see them in Orange.

I always thought the presence and reputation of Jenny Mo was a big part of our recruiting appeal back in the day.

Athletic Trainers tend to be especially competitive, and want to stay up-to-date on every new method, therapy, nutrition discovery, etc.

What separates them at the top tier (IMHO) is an athletic dept. that provides them with the time (read: enough quality assistants) to free them for research, independent studies, attending seminars, and hosting workshops that bring in fresh thinking.

In other words, you can hire the world's best trainer on day one, but they have a short shelf life if you don't support them with adequate budgeting to keep improving.

who the heck is the team trainer? needs fired if they can't figure out a player is hurting.

I always thought the presence and reputation of Jenny Mo was a big part of our recruiting appeal back in the day.

Athletic Trainers tend to be especially competitive, and want to stay up-to-date on every new method, therapy, nutrition discovery, etc.

What separates them at the top tier (IMHO) is an athletic dept. that provides them with the time (read: enough quality assistants) to free them for research, independent studies, attending seminars, and hosting workshops that bring in fresh thinking.

In other words, you can hire the world's best trainer on day one, but they have a short shelf life if you don't ysupport them with adequate budgeting to keep improving.

BruisedOrange, I think you're right on all accounts. In traveling across the country I was (at first) surprised at how well known Jenny was and the high regard in which she was held. Losing her was a negative for the LVs. And, (IMHO) in replacing her we came no where near achieving the same level of ability and knowledge.

gule, you're right too. From what is being said as to pain etc. it seems inconceivable that a competent and alert trainer could miss it for a whole season. BUT I'm not a trainer and I don't know just how well a determined athlete could hide such an injury.

Just hope Mercedes and all the others, Jannah, Ariel, Bashara, Izzy, etc. who have had, or currently have, problems continue to improve and do well.

GLV!

BruisedOrange, I think you're right on all accounts. In traveling across the country I was (at first) surprised at how well known Jenny was and the high regard in which she was held. Losing her was a negative for the LVs. And, (IMHO) in replacing her we came no where near achieving the same level of ability and knowledge.

gule, you're right too. From what is being said as to pain etc. it seems inconceivable that a competent and alert trainer could miss it for a whole season. BUT I'm not a trainer and I don't know just how well a determined athlete could hide such an injury.

Just hope Mercedes and all the others, Jannah, Ariel, Bashara, Izzy, etc. who have had, or currently have, problems continue to improve and do well.

GLV!

Holly was aware of her bunion problem when she was in high school.....It became worse as she played and practiced at the college level.....It was no secret she was hurting, which had to affect her play and playing time...She has had the problem fixed and is rehabbing.

Holly was aware of her bunion problem when she was in high school.....It became worse as she played and practiced at the college level.....It was no secret she was hurting, which had to affect her play and playing time...She has had the problem fixed and is rehabbing.

Below I put in some previous posts from the JA KNS article. If Holly "didn't realize how much pain" and "Mercedes did not tell until after the season" how does that equate with "Holly knew" and "no secret she was hurting"? After reading your post, I'm willing to accept that Adams is talking through the top of his head (OK, he's not my favorite sports writer anyway.). But did he just sort of skew a few details or was the staff pretty much in the dark?

I feel bad for her; she underperformed expectations and has been drilled for it. But foot problems....that makes a big difference. So did the staff err? Is that a 'tough it out til season ends' situation? Did she hide it? I guess it doesn't really matter as far as the future. But it doesn't seem to leave a warm, cozy feeling on how players are handled.

KNS, John Adams' article referring to her surgery, "She's doing fine now," Warlick said. "I didn't realize how much pain she was in (during the season)."

Originally Posted by PineyBluff Vol
My question is...When did Holly find out she was hurt. If she knew all along, I don't think I would like that.

According to the article not until after the season. Mercedes did not tell.

I feel bad for her; she underperformed expectations and has been drilled for it. But foot problems....that makes a big difference. So did the staff err? Is that a 'tough it out til season ends' situation? Did she hide it? I guess it doesn't really matter as far as the future. But it doesn't seem to leave a warm, cozy feeling on how players are handled.

KNS, John Adams' article referring to her surgery, "She's doing fine now," Warlick said. "I didn't realize how much pain she was in (during the season)."

Originally Posted by PineyBluff Vol

According to the article not until after the season. Mercedes did not tell.

Sounds like they knew she had a problem and experienced some pain, but not that the pain was as bad as it was. I am sure Mercedes wanted to play and tough it out. A bunion would make sense. It was not bad enough to warrant not playing, but not well enough to where it didn't hurt her a lot. Athletes play with these sorts of things all the time and you have to decide whether to have the surgery during the season or tough it out. A player will downplay the pain so they can continue to play and then rehab in the offseason. This happens all the time in every sport, on every team.

Like I say, Holly is not real precise in what she says and leaves things open to misinterpretation a lot. She made it sound like they were not aware at all that there was a problem when it was likely the extent of the problem that was being hidden from them, or a strategic decision was made to address it after the season. That is my take anyway since it fits the facts.

In Holly's defense though there are a lot of people looking for things to criticize so they will jump to the worst interpretation. There are just lots of agendas at work.

VN Store

Back