Soccer

LittleDTO

I know many of you don't care about soccer, but it's my first love and what I played in college and beyond.

UTs profile continues to rise with the Gatorade player of the year commited to Tennessee. She is also is on the US national under 18 squad.

Katie Cousins is her name from Forest Virginia.

Reactions: 7 people
Pensky has ratcheted up the recruiting a notch--and it needed to be cranked up. UT had some solid success with the previous coach, who took us to the NCAA tournament a few times--but something happened and recruiting just never accelerated and then we fell off. Need more depth of talent; that has been an issue.

Cousins is a tiny but talented midfielder--which is position of need for us. I think we have another highly rated midfielder coming in this year.

Reactions: 1 person
I know many of you don't care about soccer, but it's my first love and what I played in college and beyond.

UTs profile continues to rise with the Gatorade player of the year commited to Tennessee. She is also is on the US national under 18 squad.

Katie Cousins is her name from Forest Virginia.

That is completely amazing; we signed the Gatorade player of the year??

Katie Cousins, c'mon down! Welcome to Tennessee, and to one of the nicest pitches that you will find anywhere!

Little DTO: one of my daughters trained privately with a keeper coach on the UT pitch. I think she still has Bermuda grass scars on her knees. Lots of fond memories there, other than when the sewage plant pipes were blowing the wrong way...

Soccer is still my favorite spectator sport and probably always will be. (My knees keep it a spectator sport.) After being a mom, an AR, and a center, I know all the insults to holler.

Reactions: 2 people
I believe it all starts with your midfield.

Like so many, I wasn't a fan of soccer ... until I played it, and began to understand the subtleties of what was happening out there, and what players' options were with the ball, defending man with ball and movement off the ball. Even goalie position I thought I would hate playing ... until I played it, and then I loved it. :yes:

I believe it all starts with your midfield.

Like so many, I wasn't a fan of soccer ... until I played it, and began to understand the subtleties of what was happening out there, and what players' options were with the ball, defending man with ball and movement off the ball. Even goalie position I thought I would hate playing ... until I played it, and then I loved it. :yes:

Subtleties, that's the thing. Most people don't understand what's going on out there. They just see the ball being passed/kicked up and down, back and forth, and they don't know enough about soccer to see how a play is being developed.

Basketball was the first version of indoor soccer. If you are willing to look at basketball through soccer eyes, you will see the parallels. One of the big differences is the offside rule in soccer. You can't hang out by the goal, calling for someone to pass it to you, and then do an easy dunk. You have to work a lot harder for a goal in soccer. (Sorry basketball fans!:))

Anyway, thumbs up to you, LittleDTO, and to the Lady Vols soccer team (and to Katie Cousins!!!), and to women's sports in general, which keeps the spirit of the sports alive, without turning them into a farm league for the pros. --although I'm still happy to see former Lady Vols get a check for their skills.

Reactions: 1 person
I have known a few girls who played at UT and follow soccer weekly but have absolutely no sense of the program, be it current or past standing. If someone could could provide a basic cliffsnotes I would be appreciative.

Our program was brought to prominence, at least in the SEC, by the departed Coach Angie, who was Canadian of Scottish heritage, as best as I can recall, and she got them into the national tournament a couple times but we haven't advanced too far yet. We have had a player or two who have played on the Canadian national team. These Lady Vols are fun to watch; we make sure we are there wearing orange when they come to Baton Rouge. And UT has a girls soccer summer camp each year; we sent our daughter a couple yrs and she went on to play college soccer, though not in the SEC as she was on the small side for a defender.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back