Women's SEC Tourney Site Revealed

VN News

The Southeastern Conference has awarded the 2016 SEC Women's Basketball Tournament to Jacksonville, Florida, Commissioner Mike Slive announced Wednesday.

More...

While I hate to suggest that Lady Vol fans show what could be interpreted as a lack of support for our ladies, I think the only way to prevent the tournament from being held in North Little Rock again is for Lady Vol fans to stay away in droves.

Jim

Reactions: 1 person
While I hate to suggest that Lady Vol fans show what could be interpreted as a lack of support for our ladies, I think the only way to prevent the tournament from being held in North Little Rock again is for Lady Vol fans to stay away in droves.

Jim

Cannon, do you really think it's that bad? Last time we stayed at the Peabody, now a Marriott. It is already sold out for the tournament. Remembering Little Rock, I'm not sure there is any place else I would want to stay. The area was a little....?uncomfortable?.... trying to find a word. Does anyone on VN have input or suggestions?

Cannon, do you really think it's that bad? Last time we stayed at the Peabody, now a Marriott. It is already sold out for the tournament. Remembering Little Rock, I'm not sure there is any place else I would want to stay. The area was a little....?uncomfortable?.... trying to find a word. Does anyone on VN have input or suggestions?

Yes, I do. The last time the tournament was held there, the arena had deteriorated rather drastically from the previous occasion. Additionally, as I have mentioned before, Little Rock is the only location where my spouse and I have attended the women's tournament that four cars stopped to tell us that it wasn't safe to be walking to our hotel (which was only about 1 1/2 miles from the arena) after the games. One of those cars was a local police officer who offered to give us a ride even though we were about 2 blocks from the hotel at that time. And, with the exception of a marathon that my wife and her friends wanted to run in one year that the tournament was held in N. Little Rock, there are probably fewer activities outside of the tournament there than in any other venue in which the tournament has been held in the last twenty years.

Jim

Why is Nashville not getting more tourney chances.......... It is always great there. Nice motels.. bars... safe place .... plenty of Lady Vols fans...... Been to n ashville the past several years. Deluth is not a good place either... been there will not go back there.

Why is Nashville not getting more tourney chances.......... It is always great there. Nice motels.. bars... safe place .... plenty of Lady Vols fans...... Been to n ashville the past several years. Deluth is not a good place either... been there will not go back there.

Because Nashville has become the "permanent" site for the men's tournament, hosting it 3 out of every 4 years. That means it's only available to to the women's tournament in that 1 year it's not hosting the men. Nashville has been announced as the host for those years. Nashville cannot host both in the same year because the Predators will not give up two consecutive weeks of home games.

I agree; why couldn't they hold it downtown at Philips? Oc course, nothing could be as bad as the tournament being held in Columbus, Ga.

I agree; why couldn't they hold it downtown at Philips? Oc course, nothing could be as bad as the tournament being held in Columbus, Ga.

Because they haven't bid on it. The SEC doesn't go rent out places, cities and arenas bid to host these tournaments.

Because they haven't bid on it. The SEC doesn't go rent out places, cities and arenas bid to host these tournaments.

I think the SEC should be more concerned about rewarding their fans and athletes with good venues in exciting places than whether a city and arena begs them to visit.

Nothing wrong with Jacksonville, imho

big city, easy to get into & out of, plenty of attractions if you are interested.

Nothing wrong with Jacksonville, imho

big city, easy to get into & out of, plenty of attractions if you are interested.

About 8 hours from Knoxville, 4 hours from Charleston. Don't have to go through Atlanta to get there. Duluth is supposed to be 4 hours from Knoxville, but sometimes it takes 6 or more due to traffic. Might be pretty far for a lot of other teams. I'm looking forward to a week in Florida even if it is March.

VN Store

Back