TN vs Miss SB This Weekend

DrDave

MIZZ plays ALA.
Unless ALA takes the weekend off, Ala wins series 2-1.
KY plays GA.
Ga wins series 2-1.
FLA plays ARK. Fla wins 3-0.

Now TN is the question. Miss is weak, weak, and weak.
TN should win series 3-0.
If we have a hitting slump, and if we rest Renfroe, we are going to have an ugly outcome.

What is the plan for this series re pitching? And playing the strong lineup?

We need to focus in on the SEC tournament. And the coming NCAA tournament.

MIZZ plays ALA.
Unless ALA takes the weekend off, Ala wins series 2-1.
KY plays GA.
Ga wins series 2-1.
FLA plays ARK. Fla wins 3-0.

Now TN is the question. Miss is weak, weak, and weak.
TN should win series 3-0.
If we have a hitting slump, and if we rest Renfroe, we are going to have an ugly outcome.

What is the plan for this series re pitching? And playing the strong lineup?

We need to focus in on the SEC tournament. And the coming NCAA tournament.

They should go all out to sweep this series - loses could affect the seedings in both tournaments

Really need to sweep this one. If not then we may be in danger of falling out of the top 8 seeds, and thus having to travel for Super Regionals instead of getting to host.

Reactions: 1 person
Really need to sweep this one. If not then we may be in danger of falling out of the top 8 seeds, and thus having to travel for Super Regionals instead of getting to host.

Do we know that TN has put in to host a regional for the NCAA?

And assuming we win that, are we in the top 8 to host a Super Regional? TN is #11 in NCAA RPI.

Fla, Ga, Ala, and Mizz are ahead of us in the RPI ranking.

Thanks

Last edited:
Do we know that TN has put in to host a regional for the NCAA?

And assuming we win that, are we in the top 8 to host a Super Regional? TN is #11 in NCAA RPI.

Fla, Ga, Ala, and Mizz are ahead of us in the RPI ranking.

Thanks

Missouri loses 2 to Bama and they drop below UT in RPI.
UGA will not be seeded higher than UT in the Tournament
UT has no choice but to play their best this weekend.

Hart you can bet will have a regional in Knoxville. A lot will play out over the next 2 weekends. The Pac 12 doesn't have a tournament

Well Mizzou won game 1 vs Bama so they will win that series either 3-0 or 2-1...If UT sweeps this weekend they will be a top 8 seed come tourney time imo...and you don't put in your name to host...hosting is just based on where you're seeded

Missouri loses 2 to Bama and they drop below UT in RPI.
UGA will not be seeded higher than UT in the Tournament
UT has no choice but to play their best this weekend.

Hart you can bet will have a regional in Knoxville. A lot will play out over the next 2 weekends. The Pac 12 doesn't have a tournament

We may need to a run to the title game at least to get into the RPI Top 8. I may get proved wrong but I'll be surprised if FSU and Louisiana-Lafayette are seeded in the top 8.

Possible SEC regular season title scenarios:

1. Alabama has clinched at least a share. They win the title outright if they win at least one of the two remaining games vs. Missouri.

2. If Mizzou sweeps Bama then the two teams will each own a share of the title.

3. If #2 happens, UT can also clinch a share of the title by sweeping Ole Miss. Would be a 3-way tie between UT, Bama, and Mizzou at 17-7.

In scenario #3, UT would get the #1 seed in the SEC tournament, as the first tiebreaker of a 3-way or greater tie is overall win percentage (UT would be .824, Bama would be .778, and Mizzou would be .768).

Last edited:
Golden opportunity in the bottom of the third with girls on base and bad at bats by Koenig and Tobler. Tobler swung at a lot of bad pitches with 3-2 count, costing us a run. She was in a complete panic mode. Have to learn to relax.

7-6 lead for lady vols now....were done 6-0...like I said over and over this team just fights

Unfortunately Bama won tonight so they locked up the outright SEC regular season title. UT can still clinch solo 2nd place with a sweep.

Possible SEC regular season title scenarios:

1. Alabama has clinched at least a share. They win the title outright if they win at least one of the two remaining games vs. Missouri.

2. If Mizzou sweeps Bama then the two teams will each own a share of the title.

3. If #2 happens, UT can also clinch a share of the title by sweeping Ole Miss. Would be a 3-way tie between UT, Bama, and Mizzou at 17-7.

In scenario #3, UT would get the #1 seed in the SEC tournament, as the first tiebreaker of a 3-way or greater tie is overall win percentage (UT would be .824, Bama would be .778, and Mizzou would be .768).

Thanks for the explanation. Had wondered how, who, etc.

I wanted to do some research prior to posting otherwise sounding ill informed or ignorant. Looking at this team and watching.
1. Sporadic issues at 3d (true, still searching for a takeover player, but to me both Koenig and Perkins show talent)
2. Tobler in panic mode....not her best game Friday. But...watching all year and this weekend. 4th on the team in BA and over 900 in OBPS and actually 3d on the team in SEC Stats. Ole Miss. chose to walk Tarrango yesterday to load the bases and get to Tobler. Tobler broke it off in their axx. I didn't see any panic and she normally takes pitchers into double digit at bats...thats not panic, thats patience and a steady level swing.
3. Pitching sets the tone for this team period. I think both Gaffin and Gabriel are really picking it up JMO.
4. We're starting 5-7 freshman and sophs. Not an excuse just the facts. #8 in the nation, I think 41 and 9 on the year. Not too shabby.
How many other UT sports teams are doing or have done this well while losing 80% of their team?? You are always welcome to your opinion. But as for me, I just disagree. We're spoiled....these underclassmen are shaping up to be the stars in a year or two. And some are getting it done very quietly.

Golden opportunity in the bottom of the third with girls on base and bad at bats by Koenig and Tobler. Tobler swung at a lot of bad pitches with 3-2 count, costing us a run. She was in a complete panic mode. Have to learn to relax.

I wanted to do some research prior to posting otherwise sounding ill informed or ignorant. Looking at this team and watching.
1. Sporadic issues at 3d (true, still searching for a takeover player, but to me both Koenig and Perkins show talent)
2. Tobler in panic mode....not her best game Friday. But...watching all year and this weekend. 4th on the team in BA and over 900 in OBPS and actually 3d on the team in SEC Stats. Ole Miss. chose to walk Tarrango yesterday to load the bases and get to Tobler. Tobler broke it off in their axx. I didn't see any panic and she normally takes pitchers into double digit at bats...thats not panic, thats patience and a steady level swing.
3. Pitching sets the tone for this team period. I think both Gaffin and Gabriel are really picking it up JMO.
4. We're starting 5-7 freshman and sophs. Not an excuse just the facts. #8 in the nation, I think 41 and 9 on the year. Not too shabby.
How many other UT sports teams are doing or have done this well while losing 80% of their team?? You are always welcome to your opinion. But as for me, I just disagree. We're spoiled....these underclassmen are shaping up to be the stars in a year or two. And some are getting it done very quietly.

The Tobler at bat that I referenced was not a good one--it was obvious she was jittery with that 3-2 count and thus swinging at every pitch. No matter: Agree she's had a good year--as have all the freshmen. This is a good team and a very young team that should get better. I disagree that pitching sets the tone: This is a hitting team; pitching is a question mark heading into the post-season. Renfroe has been excellent but wasn't as sharp late in the season--got touched up a bit in recent games. There will be games ahead where she will have to be very good. We will score runs, but we will also face good pitching from here on, and there will be postseason games when runs will be scarce. Nice to see that homer from Tarrango, who had a somewhat quiet year at the plate. If she and Overstreet can hit in the postseason, this team will be all the stronger.

Ok fair enough. My comment in regard to pitching setting the tone is that these kids seem to try to do too much IF/When our pitching allows 1st inning walks/hits (they actually "overplay"). IMO they have a tendency to be impatient and swing at pitches they shouldnt especially down in the zone. Teams have learned not to go right at Tennessee....its just not a good idea we'll rock them. SO...they go after an early strike and then work slop down and in consistently (its really good coaching, pitch calling). Our impatience over the season to me is just the lack of maturity at the plate not talent. And to be fair many of our hitters lately are taking pitchers into double digit pitches pretty consistently..(Tobler probably being the youngest).which means they're getting better or at least more patient. When Annie hits a HR (which is often) its SO hard to come down and have a really patient at bat next time up. But its getting better. I like Gaffin slapping JMO. Overstreet looks to be coming out of her slump. Moving Shipman to leadoff is actually not a bad call, more at bats, less of a tendency to walk her. I think Geer is going to come out really strong soon, she's been down a bit lately but really mechanically doing nothing wrong. Gabriel and Gaffin really have been looking good pitching lately. I was also looking at last years team stats (with 5 All Americans) compared to this years at the same time period going into the SEC tourney. 2013-44-9, 2014-42-9....BA very close, OBP very close. The only blaring stat is errors on 3d base. BUT...remembering Raven's year coming from outfield to 3d wasnt completly pleasant and I believe she had about 10 errors last year which is really good considering the position....I think between Perkins and Koenig we're sitting at 17. I still am looking at the glass half full. If our pitching can keep it close and knowing that this team can rattle off 9-11 runs in one inning, which they have....its really a scary team to be facing.

The Tobler at bat that I referenced was not a good one--it was obvious she was jittery with that 3-2 count and thus swinging at every pitch. No matter: Agree she's had a good year--as have all the freshmen. This is a good team and a very young team that should get better. I disagree that pitching sets the tone: This is a hitting team; pitching is a question mark heading into the post-season. Renfroe has been excellent but wasn't as sharp late in the season--got touched up a bit in recent games. There will be games ahead where she will have to be very good. We will score runs, but we will also face good pitching from here on, and there will be postseason games when runs will be scarce. Nice to see that homer from Tarrango, who had a somewhat quiet year at the plate. If she and Overstreet can hit in the postseason, this team will be all the stronger.

I think Terra's right on this one. Pitching sets the tone for the team. That's why the team has sagged a bit lately. Renfroe is a little more worn due to carrying more of the load. And, I do agree Gabriel and especially Gaffin have picked it up. Gaffin has a chance to be a special player on the mound. Gabriel can be good too. If they can continue to improve into the tournament we have a chance to get back to the final eight but we will need the hitting too.

Trying to back things up with stats. I am happy with alot of the numbers we have. BUT..the most striking difference is in fact RBI's. There is barely a difference in Runs/Hits between last year and this year. BUT...RBI's are way off. Why?? With our averages up why not the RBI's. I have to suspect the sequence of the lineups, and I have to assume its driving the coaches nuts. I know they've tried moving kids around in the sequence and none have been bad moves...you just cant tell when our hitting RISP is so erratic. If you look at the stats its surprising who is in the top 5 and who isnt. I like the lineup now and sequence, just gotta get Geer back to finding the holes. Shes putting the bat on the ball for the most part. I kinda wish they'd let Rainey go back to slapping too. Perkinds played a solid game Sunday, Tobler another good performance. Rainey can be special, love her on the mound. Gabriel is actually doing well IMO. Lexi picking it up. JMO

I think Terra's right on this one. Pitching sets the tone for the team. That's why the team has sagged a bit lately. Renfroe is a little more worn due to carrying more of the load. And, I do agree Gabriel and especially Gaffin have picked it up. Gaffin has a chance to be a special player on the mound. Gabriel can be good too. If they can continue to improve into the tournament we have a chance to get back to the final eight but we will need the hitting too.

We lost two no really three prolific bats from last year and no one can run like Chavanne(sp?).

Exactly lots of stolen bases. i don't think anyone has a player with that speed this year. Gaffin is really fast, although IMO I wouldn't use her like Raven. Just too much risk of getting her injured and its really not worth it. Plus many of Rainey's slaps are actually dbls, triples anyway. We really lost a lot of production with the graduating class. Coaches just gotta work through this team, lot of talent. One thing is also evident, we recruit hitters....thats fine. BUT...the skill sets for defense are also very important in this league. Travel ball coaches IMO need to pay more attention to those skills. Players that really love the game normally are good fielders too. Most of our errors are from the speed these kids aren't used to.

We lost two no really three prolific bats from last year and no one can run like Chavanne(sp?).

VN Store

Back