F-Bashara Graves/Jasmine Jones
C-Isabelle Harrison/Mercedes Russell/Nia Moore

2015-2016 Depth Chart Predictions
G-Andraya Carter/Te'a Cooper
G-Jannah Tucker/Alexa Middleton/Jordan Reynolds
W-Diamond DeShields/Kortney Dunbar/MeMe Jackson
F-Bashara Graves/Jamie Nared/Caliya Robinson
C-Mercedes Russell /Kalani Brown or De'Janae Boykin C/F

Wow I like that 2015-2016 Depth Chart hope all those players do become Lady Vols.

Jordan Reynolds is a point guard all the way and she should start over Mass. It will be interesting to see how Holly handles it.

P.S.-I am not super enthused about DeShields coming here. Unhappiness is usually something that emanates from the inside.

Last edited:
Ariel is still going to be starting point guard come next season. Reynolds won't be starting at point, she most likely will continue to come off the bench.

Last edited:
2014-2015 Depth Chart Prediction

Starters
G-Ariel Massengale/Alexa Middleton
G-Andraya Carter/Jannah Tucker/Jordan Reynolds
W-Jamie Nared/Cierra Burdick/Kortney Dunbar

I still like Carter as back up PG unless she improves her shot. They need to replace Simmons' scoring, and I'm not convinced Carter is the best bet here. Tucker or Middleton need to get a lot of minutes at SG, and if the two combined can equal Simmon' output, then Tennessee should be set at the backcourt.

At SF I would hope that Nared or Jasmine Jones (if she learns to play) starts. Burdick had her chance and it's time for Holly to stop beating that dead horse. Move her third on the depth chart.

At PF I hope Harrison is starting, which means Russell improved enough to start at C. Graves can sub at the PF and Harrison can relieve Russell at C.

For your 2015-16 scenario, you left out Nared. Are you thinking she transfers if Diamond commits to Tennessee?

Reactions: 1 person
2014-2015 Depth Chart Prediction

Starters
G-Ariel Massengale/Alexa Middleton
G-Andraya Carter/Jannah Tucker/Jordan Reynolds
W-Jamie Nared/Cierra Burdick/Kortney Dunbar

i see no reason to start Graves at the 4 none. Izzy will move to the 4 Russell to the 5 . Remember Izzy has a better face up game then Graves.

I agree with starting Izzy, but do not agree with starting Russell over Graves. Until proven otherwise, Graves is a better player than Russell, although I do hope both work as hard as Izzy did last year and come back much improved.

Russell's big issues will be strength, stamina and scoring. She needs to get better at all three, and I think she will. She will play more--I thought she was underutilized this year. If she plays significantly more minutes, we should see more of Harrison at the 4--which is her natural/best position.

If that happens, then it will be very interesting to see how much and where the trio of Burdick, Graves and Jones play. They each have strengths and weaknesses--none of them is a complete player. Jones can play either the 3 or 4--and probably should have played more than Graves this year. Needs badly to improve her decision-making and understanding of the game--too many turnovers. Graves is a hard-working rebounder--but unless she can develop an offensive game this off-season, I don't see why she would start again. Burdick and Jones can rebound like her--and have more scoring potential.

We're all eager to see Tucker and Nared. Let's hope Tucker is healthy. One of them might grab the 3 spot. We didn't really have a good, natural 3 (small, scoring forward) last year. Let's hope one of these two can fill the spot.

Otherwise, we seem to have a lot of PGs now. In addition to Massengale, Jordan is more a PG than shooting guard, IMO, and I have a feeling Middleton will be, too--unless she is more athletic than anticipated. Carter can play both the 1 and 2. To me she seems slightly more suited to the PG position but will surely be asked to play the 2 position. She is a good athlete with a good stroke, and should do fairly well. Lots of personnel decisions ahead.

I'm hoping we don't see a seniority depth chart but actually put the best five on the floor to play the most minutes.
To me that has to be Mercedes Russel at the center position, Izzy at the four, Nared at the three, Tucker or Carter at the two, Carter or Massengale at the point. Burdick and Jones would have to get a lot better and earn every minute next season. Those two should be a lot better at this point that they showed last season.

I'm hoping we don't see a seniority depth chart but actually put the best five on the floor to play the most minutes.
To me that has to be Mercedes Russel at the center position, Izzy at the four, Nared at the three, Tucker or Carter at the two, Carter or Massengale at the point. Burdick and Jones would have to get a lot better and earn every minute next season. Those two should be a lot better at this point that they showed last season.

That's my biggest fear as well. Jones showed no improvement between her freshman and sophomore year, Burdick has already hit her peak (can't really expect that someone who plays as much as she does will "get" it come their senior year), and Graves got worse.

Burdick will not make this team better. Why not give one of the freshmen a chance to get experience and a lot of minutes from the get go, especially if they will be the future of the team? Giving Burdick 30 min/game will not make Tennessee a better team than taking a chance on Nared...especially in the long run.

Russell...I don't know. I'd like to think that she can give more, but I didn't see a whole lot to be optimistic about last year. She needs to make the same improvement jump that Harrison made between her FR and SO years.

as far as i know Robinson is definitely on our radar.

I've been told that there is not an active recruitment of Robinson at this time, by either side.

Recruiting can change at any time, but right now, no, she is not being recruited by TN.

^
Just cause someone said it doesn't make it true and yes you are right recruiting can change at any moment but until further notice i'm gonna stick with what i said.

Last edited:
I would think that if we're recruiting Te'a hard that we would at least be looking at Caliya as well since they live together and have expressed an interest to play for the same school in college.

Which player to you believe will improve the most between now and next January? I remember well when Coach Pat would meet with each player at about now to discuss areas for improvement. Several times I've heard her say that it is difficult to teach a player who cannot shoot . If she doesn't have the eye-hand-memory coordination by arriving it won't happen. (Semeka Randall was a gifted athlete - great defender but below average shooter and not for lack of practice) Glory learned to be more patient within her post range and improved significantly every year in shooting, rebounding and defending. Burdick had several games where she was 0 or 1 for 10+ and a game where she was 10-11 from the outside. Burdick is an excellent follow the ball rebounder. Massingale - will she ever play again after four concussions and slow recovery from the last one?

The threads on who will start and play more minutes are nearly almost all offense focused. Seldom does one read a thread of who would you start if defense and rebounding mattered more than offense? Or if you were playing Missouri on Thursday and South Carolina on Sunday would you start the same five players?

Which player to you believe will improve the most between now and next January? I remember well when Coach Pat would meet with each player at about now to discuss areas for improvement. Several times I've heard her say that it is difficult to teach a player who cannot shoot . If she doesn't have the eye-hand-memory coordination by arriving it won't happen. (Semeka Randall was a gifted athlete - great defender but below average shooter and not for lack of practice) Glory learned to be more patient within her post range and improved significantly every year in shooting, rebounding and defending. Burdick had several games where she was 0 or 1 for 10+ and a game where she was 10-11 from the outside. Burdick is an excellent follow the ball rebounder. Massingale - will she ever play again after four concussions and slow recovery from the last one?

The threads on who will start and play more minutes are nearly almost all offense focused. Seldom does one read a thread of who would you start if defense and rebounding mattered more than offense? Or if you were playing Missouri on Thursday and South Carolina on Sunday would you start the same five players?

The players that they really need to improve are Carter (offense), Jones (offense), Reynolds (offense) and Russell (everything). I think Carter comes in most improved, but they need Russell to be most improved.

Defense and rebounding is no good if you can't put the ball in the basket. Ideally, you're putting your best five on the floor who provide the best combination of offense and defense. You make situational substitutions as needed, like how Holly uses Jasmine Jones.

If you had a defensive lineup of Carter, Reynolds, Burdick, Jasmine Jones and Izzy on the court, then where do the points come from besides Izzy?

If you put Massengale in place of Carter, then you have another legit scoring threat. You give up some defense, but the question is does Ariel's total body of work make her a better choice on the court than Carter? (IMO, yes...better scorer AND better passer, defense could be better but by no means horrible). Same with putting Bashaara Graves in place of Jasmine Jones.

RE: Burdick - she will always be a talented head case. She's all world against lesser teams, but chokes against good opponents. The skills are there, but she plays with no composure and is a mess emotionally. She's an incoming senior, so it's time for Holly to move on and attach her wagon to a different horse (Nared?).

Last edited:
The players that they really need to improve are Carter (offense), Jones (offense), Reynolds (offense) and Russell (everything). I think Carter comes in most improved, but they need Russell to be most improved.

Defense and rebounding is no good if you can't put the ball in the basket. Ideally, you're putting your best five on the floor who provide the best combination of offense and defense. You make situational substitutions as needed, like how Holly uses Jasmine Jones.

If you had a defensive lineup of Carter, Reynolds, Burdick, Jasmine Jones and Izzy on the court, then where do the points come from besides Izzy?

If you put Massengale in place of Carter, then you have another legit scoring threat. You give up some defense, but the question is does Ariel's total body of work make her a better choice on the court than Carter? (IMO, yes...better scorer AND better passer, defense could be better but by no means horrible). Same with putting Bashaara Graves in place of Jasmine Jones.

RE: Burdick - she will always be a talented head case. She's all world against lesser teams, but chokes against good opponents. The skills are there, but she plays with no composure and is a mess emotionally. She's an incoming senior, so it's time for Holly to move on and attach her wagon to a different horse (Nared?).

Amb3096 ! you made some good points and i think Russell will be much improved and a force on the both ends of the floor.

VN Store

Back