Improvement

windmillmaan

1. post players more physical (better trainers)

2. better outside shooting (will freshmen help?)

3. better ball handling (coaches must work)

Totally agree!!!!
1. Post players got a taste of their own medicine against Alyssa Thomas. She was moving our girls like rag dolls.
2. Middleton, Nared, Dunbar will add some outside shooting consistently. Those girls are automatic.
3. I hope we get a commitment from Te'a Cooper that girl ball handling skills is mad crazy.

Reactions: 1 person
Is passing included under ball handling? I thought our passes were frequently poor last season...weak, loopy, erratic. That is an area they can and NEED to improve.

On the ball defense on the perimeter and overall post defense. Overall the team wasn't a good defensive team. Steals and blocks were low, and opposing posts could pretty much score at will on any of the players at the 4 or 5, assuming they were 6'0 or taller.

Russell/Graves/Harrison need to take a page from UConn's play book on post defense. Those girls could shut down the inside and rarely got in foul trouble. Tennessee's inside players need to bring that same nastiness to the court.

On the ball defense on the perimeter and overall post defense. Overall the team wasn't a good defensive team. Steals and blocks were low, and opposing posts could pretty much score at will on any of the players at the 4 or 5, assuming they were 6'0 or taller.

Russell/Graves/Harrison need to take a page from UConn's play book on post defense. Those girls could shut down the inside and rarely got in foul trouble. Tennessee's inside players need to bring that same nastiness to the court.

People focus on our offense but our defensive stats were worse. We were at or near the top of the league in offense. We were in the middle of the pack on defense. That is why Holly put her focus there.

We have a lot of work to do on both sides of the ball but the defense often gets overlooked because we are used to having a good one.

as a little known coach has said,Defense and Redounding are what wins game

<<<<<< I'm sure ya'll know who she is :)

Swagger - and a guard or small forward who both wants the ball and can make the play when the game is on the line.

the opposite of "swagger" are one or several of being: "too nice" or "complacent" "not-nasty" or "doubtful" We continue to hear on every pre or post game interview - Play Lady Vol Basketball

Tenn has the players to win a NC. What they need to learn is to play team ball. When Tenn looked great they passed the ball well. Dribbleing and trying to create a shot for themselves is not team ball. Passing the ball to your shooter and letting them create for themselves is not team ball. Teaching your players to run plays and play tuff defense imo is what is needed. Tenn has the height and length now they need to run plays not create one on one but run plays to get Russell Harrison and Graves shots then have the defense on the perimeter to keep opponents from scoring. No team should score inside on Tenn with their height. Perimeter defense knowing that you have height underneath to back you up is key for Tenn. Tenn has the players they need plays, less dribbling which only creates turnovers everything else will fall in place.

Tenn has the players to win a NC. What they need to learn is to play team ball. When Tenn looked great they passed the ball well. Dribbleing and trying to create a shot for themselves is not team ball. Passing the ball to your shooter and letting them create for themselves is not team ball. Teaching your players to run plays and play tuff defense imo is what is needed. Tenn has the height and length now they need to run plays not create one on one but run plays to get Russell Harrison and Graves shots then have the defense on the perimeter to keep opponents from scoring. No team should score inside on Tenn with their height. Perimeter defense knowing that you have height underneath to back you up is key for Tenn. Tenn has the players they need plays, less dribbling which only creates turnovers everything else will fall in place.

half-court offense and poor passing has a been a problem for 10 + years. It is the reason why UT almost always has a lot of turnovers. It is a coaching issue, which is why I'm not optimistic that it will be fixed. Vols also have to play better man defense--which is basically a function of having quick players who are willing to work hard.

half-court offense and poor passing has a been a problem for 10 + years. It is the reason why UT almost always has a lot of turnovers. It is a coaching issue, which is why I'm not optimistic that it will be fixed. Vols also have to play better man defense--which is basically a function of having quick players who are willing to work hard.

Here we go with the coaching diatribe again from this coach hater. Holly is following a legend, like Robinson following Neyland, whoever followed Bryant, whoever followed Rockne, Wooden, etc., but she only was named SEC coach of the year in 2012-13 for taking an over-achieving team to conference champions, won SEC tournament this year and earned a No. 1 seed in the NCAA. You are not going to get her fired. STFU.

Swagger - and a guard or small forward who both wants the ball and can make the play when the game is on the line.

the opposite of "swagger" are one or several of being: "too nice" or "complacent" "not-nasty" or "doubtful" We continue to hear on every pre or post game interview - Play Lady Vol Basketball

I want real swagger...not Cierra Burdick swagger where you preen for the camera against Auburn and Miss State, but look like you're going to cry against Notre Dame and Maryland.

Honestly, for me it's less about swagger and more about composure. As long as they rise to the occasion in the big moments, I'll be good with that. They can be as nice as they want after hitting big shots...as long as they make the shots.

Hell, they can act like Taurasi at her worst for all I care...as long as they produce in big games.

Reactions: 2 people
Here we go with the coaching diatribe again from this coach hater. Holly is following a legend, like Robinson following Neyland, whoever followed Bryant, whoever followed Rockne, Wooden, etc., but she only was named SEC coach of the year in 2012-13 for taking an over-achieving team to conference champions, won SEC tournament this year and earned a No. 1 seed in the NCAA. You are not going to get her fired. STFU.

He's not going to STFU so chill. She is following a legend but we still should expect her to perform. I do feel we need to give her time to develop. Muffett McGraw took awhile to develop as a coach at Notre Dame and even Geno at UCONN. We need to give Holly time. But, she needs to show a little more confidence and an attitude. The reason Maryland beat us is because Frese's players fed off her confidence-same with Louisville, Notre Dame, UCONN, etc. Everybody's confident they can beat Tennessee now. Holly has to psychologically overcome that and make her team believe it. Pat used to will her teams to win. Holly, in the locker room get in the huddle, pull those glasses off, look them in the eye and tell them we're going to win and mean it.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back