Newspaper Interview w/ Tisha DeShields

The 'interview' really didn't say anything :(

Obviously she was unhappy and . . . What was she unhappy about? She says she liked the school, the coaches, the team????

Is she just another head case?

How many college students attend more than one college? How many Tennessee athletes have transferred to another school? How many QBs have you read about since football season that are trying another school because XyZ?

If your child made a similar request, what counsel would you give?

Why make a needless remark "another head case?" There is an assumption in that remark that there has been a previous or many individuals that you have defined in that manner? Are they all women?

Reactions: 5 people
The 'interview' really didn't say anything :(

Obviously she was unhappy and . . . What was she unhappy about? She says she liked the school, the coaches, the team????

Is she just another head case?

Please stop with questions like that.

There's this little thing called being homesick that happens to a lot of young people that move away for school.

Reactions: 1 person
A kid that has traveled as much as DD playing ball all over the country & world is not likely to be bothered much by homesickness, imho

A kid that has traveled as much as DD playing ball all over the country & world is not likely to be bothered much by homesickness, imho

It's totally different traveling to play ball than moving somewhere to play ball. When you're traveling, you at least know you'll only be gone a few days at a time and then you'll go home to your family. You might go a few days without seeing your loved ones. When you're playing college ball and have moved away from home, you might go a few months without seeing them. Totally different.

Reactions: 2 people
The Lady Vols have had lots of players transfer in the past. They are due to have one transfer in. None of those kids who transferred were bad kids, or had poor attitudes or motives, except maybe one that I can remember.

The only odd thing here is that it is the star player who is transferring. We have had starters on national championship teams transfer, but never the best player on the team. That has to smart a bit.

The Lady Vols have had lots of players transfer in the past. They are due to have one transfer in. None of those kids who transferred were bad kids, or had poor attitudes or motives, except maybe one that I can remember.

The only odd thing here is that it is the star player who is transferring. We have had starters on national championship teams transfer, but never the best player on the team. That has to smart a bit.

April McDivitt's transfer was strange. She only had one year of eligibility left and went all the way out to UCSB to sit out a year to play a year...Many of them can be attributed to homesickness (Teresa Geter, Michelle Munoz) but what McDivitt did was just weird....Sade Wiley-Gatewood may have been a head case.

Usually when you get these types of transfers they hardly ever work out. Larry Bird is the only one I can think of off the top of my head that worked out well. I'm sure there are others.

Usually when you get these types of transfers they hardly ever work out. Larry Bird is the only one I can think of off the top of my head that worked out well. I'm sure there are others.

Spinderella. In fact, I can't remember a non-juco transfer in that didn't work out well for the Lady Vols. There had to be some I guess.

Spinderella. In fact, I can't remember a non-juco transfer in that didn't work out well for the Lady Vols. There had to be some I guess.

This is correct. Most of the JUCO's even worked out well. How about that little point guard from NY Shannon Bobbitt that helped us win back to back championships?

What does spinderella mean? I didn't realize we'd had a lot of non-juco transfers?

What does spinderella mean? I didn't realize we'd had a lot of non-juco transfers?
Michelle Marciniak, her nickname was Spinderella for a spinning move she made on her shot.
I think only about three jucos...bobbit and bird on the two NC teams, can't remember the others. Know Pat had one really good transfer early..before rules were so tight. Can't remember her name, before my time.

This is correct. Most of the JUCO's even worked out well. How about that little point guard from NY Shannon Bobbitt that helped us win back to back championships?

I wasn't referring to JUCO's. What other JUCO's besides Bobbitt have done well?

Michelle Marciniak, her nickname was Spinderella for a spinning move she made on her shot.
I think only about three jucos...bobbit and bird on the two NC teams, can't remember the others. Know Pat had one really good transfer early..before rules were so tight. Can't remember her name, before my time.

Sue Bird was a transfer? Didn't realize that.

I was really referring more to disgruntled or players describing themselves as "unhappy." Might not be the case with DeShields but they don't seem to get rid of their unhappiness by changing location.

Sandvol, Found this on the web:

Article on Jasmine Phillips: "This marks the fourth junior college player signed by the Lady Vols since 1977. Alberta Auguste (Central Florida C.C.) and Shannon Bobbitt (Trinity Valley C.C.) signed in April 2006 and played on the 2007 and 2008 NCAA Championship squads at UT. Forward Zandra Montgomery transferred from Cleveland State (Tenn.) Community College and played at Tennessee from 1977-79."

Jasmine was on the team for only one year.

Sandvol, Found this on the web:

Article on Jasmine Phillips: "This marks the fourth junior college player signed by the Lady Vols since 1977. Alberta Auguste (Central Florida C.C.) and Shannon Bobbitt (Trinity Valley C.C.) signed in April 2006 and played on the 2007 and 2008 NCAA Championship squads at UT. Forward Zandra Montgomery transferred from Cleveland State (Tenn.) Community College and played at Tennessee from 1977-79."

Jasmine was on the team for only one year.

I think JUCO's do fine. Texas A&M had a JUCO lead them to the title a few year's ago. I was referring more to DeShield's situation. If she comes here she might blend in well but I think her situation is strange that she worked so hard to recruit other girls to UNC and then she turns around and leaves. Don't you find it odd?

The demands of playing college ball are tough on anyone that age. As a former player, I know. Also, think on the situation of one of the greatest Lady Vols ever, Chamique Holdsclaw. She was what meekfan would have called a "head case", yet the truth of the matter is that she has bipolar disorder and is now bouncing back like the champ she is.
Until you've dealt with the rigors of college basketball or faced the hell of a mental illness, maybe everyone should lay off labels like "head case" and all the judgement. DeShields may be going through things we all have no idea about and everyone should just shut up and let her find her happiness and pray she brings her considerable talent to Knoxville!

Reactions: 2 people
The demands of playing college ball are tough on anyone that age. As a former player, I know. Also, think on the situation of one of the greatest Lady Vols ever, Chamique Holdsclaw. She was what meekfan would have called a "head case", yet the truth of the matter is that she has bipolar disorder and is now bouncing back like the champ she is.
Until you've dealt with the rigors of college basketball or faced the hell of a mental illness, maybe everyone should lay off labels like "head case" and all the judgement. DeShields may be going through things we all have no idea about and everyone should just shut up and let her find her happiness and pray she brings her considerable talent to Knoxville!

Wow, first post huh? Let me explain, this is a message board and that's what we do on message boards. We discuss all aspects of VOL sports. So, please don't come on here and tell us to shut up. But, we gladly welcome your opinion.

P.S.-There are other things in life that are much more rigorous than college basketball. It's just a game.

Last edited:
I think JUCO's do fine. Texas A&M had a JUCO lead them to the title a few year's ago. I was referring more to DeShield's situation. If she comes here she might blend in well but I think her situation is strange that she worked so hard to recruit other girls to UNC and then she turns around and leaves. Don't you find it odd?
Yes, but seems strange at first. But after all, she is just a kid. Things change, situations are not what they thought they would be. Who knows? Teresa Geter was very successful, well liked, and a fan favorite, but she transfered due to homesickness. I believe the girl that went from USC to FL worked out well for them. We had a starting pg on a number one ranked team transfer to MD, and from what I've read they loved her (didn't play as expected due to injuries). So do I think it seems weird that the most successful freshman in the nation, one who convinced teammates to follow her to UNC, would choose to transfer and sit out a year? You bet I do, BUT, lots of factors could be in play. Just hope she finds a place where she fits in and all works out for her and her new teammates.

Seriously, Sandvol? You're going to lecture on how to post? No, this is not my first post on here....used to have a screen name when I lived here before... And it's 2014, I think pretty much everyone is familiar with how posts and message boards work.
Furthermore, if anyone is going to knock on people clearly going through a tough time, they SHOULD shut up and should be told to. By all means, discuss "all aspects" as you put it. I agree, that is what message boards are for. But when a young lady is going through some difficulties, it's simply rude for people to cast such judgement.
As for life...don't presume to lecture me on what is tough in life. I GUARANTEE what I've been through in my life would literally blow your mind and has been FAR more difficult than what 99% of society has been through! Basketball is nothing, by comparison, to what I've (barely) survived. So please save your condescension seeing as how you know NOTHING about me or the difficulties I've been through.
But as for college basketball....Take it from me, when you've dedicated the majority of your young life to your passion and the funding for your education and your future is on the line in the form of earning and retaining a scholarship, college basketball is NOT "just a game". It might be for you, sitting in your recliner or in the stands, never having performed at a high level, but it's not to those who work hard at it for years and need it to pay for the education they and their parents can't afford. If it was "just a game" people wouldn't work so hard at it. It's often a passion, a business, a job, an escape, and a ticket to a better future...and that's far more than a game! Twenty years later, I can say the education it paid for has made all the difference in my life.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people

VN Store

Back