To keep Carter at the starting PG or A. Mass

volbabyvol

Question:

Who should be the starting PG next year?

What do you look for in your PG?

I'll go first simple:
Carter
Defense and leader

I think Carter is the better PG of the two, because she doesn't lose the ball every time she gets in a crowd. However, the question to be answered is who replaces Simmons? If the answer is Carter, that tells you who will be the PG.

Reactions: 1 person
I think you play two people there the starter 25 minutes and the backup 15. Carter seemed to wear down playing around 35 minutes a game. We also need to do the same at the two so you have 40 minutes could use four players to fill those roles and certainly three. I expect right now Holly is thinking of using Massengale, Carter, Tucker, and Middleton in the one and two roles. I would expect for Middleton to have the smaller of the roles.
I have always like the 5-3-5-3-4 sub pattern. You go hard for five minutes knowing your getting a three minute rest while the sub is in. You go hard another five then get a rest while the sub plays and finish out the half. 14 minutes starter 6 minutes sub. You want all out effort and I don't think you can get that with 8 minute stretches before a rest or in Carter's case 35 plus minutes a game.

The starter and sub would be determined by statistical results after the pre-season games. The player that produced the most, made the fewest errors plays the most minutes.

I wouldn't consider if they were a freshman or Senior it would all be determined by stats. If the freshman had the better stats the Senior would be sitting. I could have made a case for Burdick and Jones sitting most of last season if we had people to take their place. Now we do let's see how Holly handles playing time. Will seniority win or will production win last season it seemed to be seniority especially in the post.

Last edited:
Question:

I'll go first simple:
Carter
Defense and leader

If Carter doesn't improve over the summer, then don't have her at the starting PG position.....

Simmons intensity and her confidence will be missed alot...

We won't miss Simmons. We will become a better TEAM. Everyone needs to improve. EVERYONE! 🏀👍

I think you play two people there the starter 25 minutes and the backup 15. Carter seemed to wear down playing around 35 minutes a game. We also need to do the same at the two so you have 40 minutes could use four players to fill those roles and certainly three. I expect right now Holly is thinking of using Massengale, Carter, Tucker, and Middleton in the one and two roles. I would expect for Middleton to have the smaller of the roles.
I have always like the 5-3-5-3-4 sub pattern. You go hard for five minutes knowing your getting a three minute rest while the sub is in. You go hard another five then get a rest while the sub plays and finish out the half. 14 minutes starter 6 minutes sub. You want all out effort and I don't think you can get that with 8 minute stretches before a rest or in Carter's case 35 plus minutes a game.

The starter and sub would be determined by statistical results after the pre-season games. The player that produced the most, made the fewest errors plays the most minutes.

I wouldn't consider if they were a freshman or Senior it would all be determined by stats. If the freshman had the better stats the Senior would be sitting. I could have made a case for Burdick and Jones sitting most of last season if we had people to take their place. Now we do let's see how Holly handles playing time. Will seniority win or will production win last season it seemed to be seniority especially in the post.

Based off this season alone who would you start?

The other stuff is simply determined by in game situations?

I believe both of them will most likely be starting next year with one running the point and the other as the shooting guard and then they can even switch from time to time.

We will debate this from April til November but a few thoughts. Vocal and respected team leader, passer? slasher? defensive player? and of course a pg who can find a way to win when games are on the line?

The LVs haven't had a slasher of a point guard since Kara Carter was always a passer first. Of course I don' know about game plans but with her size and leaping ability I would hope she exploits her strengths by driving . Of course if the defense packs it in Then the offensive issue is do you want your PG to have a pull up jumper? Again Kara. Run the team versus be the scoring threat?
Now defense side - are you comparing which is the better defensive player man to man - to use the cliche in the grill of the other point guard.

Question:

I'll go first simple:
Carter
Defense and leader
My order at the PG position
Carter
Reynolds
Messengale

I'd move Messengale to the 2 guard
Next years starting lineup should be interesting
So many options Holly has got.

My starting team without playing a game would be:

Massengale PG
Tucker SG
Russell C
Harrison PF
Nared WF

Carter back two guard
Graves back up post
Burdick back up Wing forward
Reynolds back up point guard

Like it or not she will be missed if we continue to run this sad offense who is going to be the Go To?

Our team will find a go-to player who shoots a lot higher percentage than Simmons did. Just because she jacked up the most shots didn't make her our go-to player either.

We need Amass on the floor, we missed her badly in the tourney.

I don't think that was the problem for the tournament. I think the team peaked during the SEC tournament and then when the won it had a big psychological let down and just didn't have the same intensity.

The problem with Massengale is she is not a good defender and she is an OK ball distributor. I think the team improves with Simmons gone. I'd like to see Reynolds Carter and Middleton at the point, Tucker, Massengale, Dunbar at the two, Burdick, Nared, Jones at the three, Harrison, Graves at the four and Russell and Moore at the five. Of course Middleton can rove, Masssengale can rove and Dunbar and Nared can rove. And, you can interchange the posts four and fives.

The nice thing about next year's team is we'll have so many guards/wings who can shoot the three.

Last edited:
I don't think that was the problem for the tournament. I think the team peaked during the SEC tournament and then when the won it had a big psychological let down and just didn't have the same intensity.
We had no leadership or poise. She would have helped tremendously

Massengale would have helped for sure. She is talented but soft. We see that in various ways. Needs a toughness injection. Carter had a fine year but seem to hit a wall the last two games.

We had no leadership or poise. She would have helped tremendously

Hindsight is always 20/20. The team started playing better when she went out. So, your contention that she would have helped tremendously is somewhat weak. Not saying it couldn't be true but just don't agree based on how the season transpired.

P.S.-We need more leadership and poise from our head coach but Holly's not there yet. She needs to gain some confidence.

Hindsight is always 20/20. The team started playing better when she went out. So, your contention that she would have helped tremendously is somewhat weak. Not saying it couldn't be true but just don't agree based on how the season transpired.

P.S.-We need more leadership and poise from our head coach but Holly's not there yet. She needs to gain some confidence.

I was one of the few who said I disagreed with all the people who said we didn't need her and were better without her

Massengale PG
Tucker SG
Russell C
Harrison PF
Nared WF

Carter back two guard
Graves back up post

If Nared comes in an starts then no one has worked on their game and gotten better, my knock on A. Mass is she doesn't like to play defense she just likes to switch often and the others are not on page which causes breakdowns in the defense so if she starts it would be the 2 for me with heavy teaching of defense and it will be tough beating out Tucker but i need to see more of Tucker in the game.

Massengale PG
Tucker SG
Russell C
Harrison PF
Nared WF

Carter back two guard
Graves back up post

I agree you on Russell, Harrison, Nared,

three questions 1. in March 2013 did you expect Harrison to improve as she did?

2. Did you expect Graves to have the kind of season she had?

3. Did you expect Carter would play as well as she did?

My personal answer to all three was no, No and no

VN Store

Back