Wow!!shocked

Yeah this is interesting to say the least...got all those other players to go to UNC with you and then leave hmmmm

I guess North Carolina's stock just went down. As long as she doesn't go to UCONN, I'm good :)

It will be interesting to see (1) if she is going to want to play basketball somewhere else and (2) will she have to sit out a year?

Originally Diamond was coming to UConn. It was definite. With her announcing shes transferring which was leaked out a few days ago before Wilson announced. I have to wonder where she will go. Certainly USC is a possibility as is UConn UGa and Tenn. I also have to wonder why is she leaving UNC after encouraging all those kids to come to UNC????? Tuff to figure out however I was shocked when she picked UNC after hearing she would go to UConn. Wait and see.

Reactions: 1 person
Ugh...please not UConn.

KML goes, and they just replace her with Diamond. It would be ridiculous for the rest of the teams.

USC would be a good fit for her. Mitchell, Deshields, Wilson, Coates and White would be a NC caliber team.

Tennessee has a lot of guards and wings. Unfortunately, I can't see her coming to Knoxville.

I fear she ends up at UConn. Any chance Mavunga might want to transfer to Tennessee...?

I'd be shocked if she picks a top 10 ranked school AND gets accepted AND doesn't have to sit out a year. Any school, including us if we were in the mix, would have to be very careful about accepting her. She doesn't even tell her coach she's leaving not to mention all those teammates and players she supposedly got to go to North Carolina with her and she bolts with apparently no warning. It seems like she may have maturity issues - ones that go beyond what you normally expect from young women and men at this age.

Last edited:
If she goes to South Carolina, they'll win at least one national title before she's gone.

Not even going to get my hopes up. She will end up at UConn or USC. She won't come to UT. However since she is a 3, I guess you never know

I don't really care what she does or where she wants to play. TN will be just fine w/out all this added drama. I'm looking forward to the players that want to be playing at TN.

I don't see any reports on any of the other players from their freshman class transferring. Maybe she now wants to play with Wilson and could possibly end up in south Carolina or she will go anywhere Cooper goes or if Geno decides to take her then she could end up at Uconn too. DeShields was the leader of the pack in terms of getting the other freshmens to also come to UNC so she was a main reason they did go there in the first place and now it almost seems like she's leaving them out to dry. i do feel bad for Sylvia Hatchell she's been through a lot dealing with her illness and now this.

Last edited:
According to a DePaul fan on Collegefans Only,

"Rumor is that Tennessee, South Carolina, Kentucky, Georgia and Texas are where she is looking. Per tweet from Mike Flynn."

As to the other question, rumor has it that Te'a Cooper has Tennessee in the lead, at the present time. Whether this remains true, only time (and a signed LOI) will tell.

Jim

Reactions: 5 people
Diamond wants to play with Cooper. This tells me two things: 1.) Cooper will not go to UNC, and Diamond knows it, 2.) the most likely destination for that to happen is at UT, assuming UNC releases her to play here.

Rumors I hear its between UGA and Tenn. Before everybody gets all excited I think you should wait to find out why she is leaving. I did see games where she was not happy and was pouting. I She was sitting with Ivory Latta who was conforting her. I also remember something like the entire class committed almost at the same time. Now shes leaving. Gotta wonder why shes leaving now. One other point. She had UConn at the top of her list. They just won another NC and 40-0 this season and 46 in a row. Why is she not considering UConn?????

My hunch tells me she won't be happy anywhere. Supposedly she went to North Carolina because she wanted to be a star from day 1 and she was, so what's there to be unhappy with? No matter what university you go to, there are struggles and strife to deal with.

Mechelle Voegel (sp?) of ESPN said she spoke with DeShields back in February and she seemed down...like she wasn't completely happy and perhaps a little homesick. Maybe that was why she decided to leave UNC. Who knows what goes through the mind of a 18-19 year old. Speculating where she might go, Debbie Antonelli of ESPN said on a ESPN report that "there are a lot of rumors right now but she doesn't think it would be S. Carolina because they don't have room for her on their roster. The one team she would suggest would be Tennessee." She sighted the fact that she was considering UT before and that her mother ran track for UT and it was closer to her hometown. Who knows where she'll go...I'd def take her being a LV if thats truly what is in her heart. I guess we shall see in the next few months...

According to a DePaul fan on Collegefans Only,

"Rumor is that Tennessee, South Carolina, Kentucky, Georgia and Texas are where she is looking. Per tweet from Mike Flynn."

As to the other question, rumor has it that Te'a Cooper has Tennessee in the lead, at the present time. Whether this remains true, only time (and a signed LOI) will tell.

Jim
What is the name of the boyfriend who plays on the Tennessee football team. I thought Tea Cooper was coming here after he committed here. I can't remember his name.

If homesickness is truly one of the biggest reasons she's leaving, then TN seems like the only top 10 program that would have a chance to get her (IF we'd take her and I don't think it should be a given we would based on circumstantial evidence so far) although there are closer, decent programs like Georgia and Georgia Tech that she could still get a decent education and athletic career.

It could be as simple as she does not like the coaches there. She may be homesick want to get closer to home. Her mother is a former Tennessee athlete I could see them relocating to Knoxville for her final three years.

The other speculation is that Tea Cooper is signing with the Lady Vols it was us and NC seems if she wants to play with Cooper it would be the Lady Vols.

VN Store

Back