N.Y. Picks Simmons In WNBA Draft

I'm surprised she went so late and that Foggie went ahead of her. No dis of Foggie, just saying.

Is there a reason she was so late? I am guessing as a casual fan that it is because she hasn't proved that she can play as a role player?

She will be fine, me thinks. Her speed and her killer instinct will serve well in the pros. Meighan, control, control, control!

Is there a reason she was so late? I am guessing as a casual fan that it is because she hasn't proved that she can play as a role player?

She was overrated all season. Last night those who speak with their wallets spoke. . . I wish her well but she needs some serious improvements in her game.

Reactions: 2 people

An honest evaluation of her game provides the reason. Inconsistent. Very questionable shot selection. Poor decision maker. Poor passer. Plus WNBA GM's probably have doubts about her ability to fit into any type of motion oriented half court offense because she is a ball cog. She has tremendous physical tools if she adjusts her game. She has potential to be a great pick at #26. She did not go higher because she is viewed as a fairly high risk pick.

Reactions: 3 people
For her career she had more turnovers than assists. She shot .416 for the season and teams are looking for 45 percent or better. She scored a lot of points because she took a lot of shots. Her goal has to be to become a better passer and improve her shot selection. If not her basketball career will be over quickly.

For her career she had more turnovers than assists. She shot .416 for the season and teams are looking for 45 percent or better. She scored a lot of points because she took a lot of shots. Her goal has to be to become a better passer and improve her shot selection. If not her basketball career will be over quickly.
Simmons shot 34.5% for her college career. With her lack of discipline, can't see Lamber putting up with her too long unless she grows up very quickly. After all, she is getting paid to do this now!

Reactions: 2 people
Well she now has her chance to play with the best and prove she can. That's all anyone could ask. Best of luck to her!

Reactions: 1 person
Simmons shot 34.5% for her college career. With her lack of discipline, can't see Lamber putting up with her too long unless she grows up very quickly. After all, she is getting paid to do this now!

34.5 was from the three which isn't awful. However her .407 for all shots is not good. I agree she may not make the cut.

Glad to see posters on this thread that know some basketball and are not being blindly loyal to an obviously flawed player. We used to call players like her "gunners" in HS. They never develop all of the other aspects of the game to their skillset. Tend to be very self centered in their play. Which describes her completely. When she played within the system and worked to get her teammates good looks (rarely), she played better. She was a major liability on D. In the WNBA she will probably end up coming off the bench for an attempt at some quick offense.

Reactions: 3 people
She needs to learn when to shoot and when to pass. And when you shoot, she needs to learn to actually put it in the bucket.

Interesting responses...considering I was called a troll and promptly put on someone's ignore list because I thought that Meighan would have a hard time making the final cut and that Tricia Liston would probably get drafted higher and would also have difficulty making final roster.

Looking at the NYL roster, the following players are probably locks to make the final cut:
Essence Carson, Cappie Pondexter, Tina Charles, DMJ, Plenette Pierson and either Nicky Anosike or Kara Braxton.

Assuming Anosike comes in healthy, I'd think that she'd get the 7th cut since that gives them a solid 4-player post rotation. That leaves 4 spots open. Lailani Mitchell probably gets the 8th spot as backup PG. Alex Montgomery probably gets the 9th spot at backup forward. That leaves Kamiko Williams, Tyauna Marshall, Simmons, Anna Cruz (?), Chucky Jeffery (?), and either Toni Young for the remaining 2 spots. That's not a bad lineup to be competing with. Marshall will be tough competition, so if Simmons can beat her out, then her chances of making the final roster are good...assuming no one else is added to training camp. However, I don't see her getting many minutes this year.

Last edited:
Everybody loves Simmons' passion, but the coaches never turned her skill set into a complete basketball player. I cringed listening to Warlick talk about Simmons because it showed that either she doesn't know much about basketball, despite 30 years of coaching, or that she's too meek to get in the kitchen of players who need to improve their games--or both. I think it's both. She said this all year: "Meighan is just a scorer." That is wrong. She is not a true scorer. She's a shooter. If she'd been a scorer, OK, but her shooting percentage (as others have noted) was never good. What she really needed to become was a good all-around player who could create scoring opportunities for others, not just herself. That's what the Vols needed, but in part she was a victim of UT's terrible half-court offense. Simmons also needs to get stronger. She will make the roster--she can create her own shot and the more open pro game may benefit her--and I hope she does well. She's a very good person, and that will serve her well moving forward.

Everybody loves Simmons' passion, but the coaches never turned her skill set into a complete basketball player. I cringed listening to Warlick talk about Simmons because it showed that either she doesn't know much about basketball, despite 30 years of coaching, or that she's too meek to get in the kitchen of players who need to improve their games--or both. I think it's both. She said this all year: "Meighan is just a scorer." That is wrong. She is not a true scorer. She's a shooter. If she'd been a scorer, OK, but her shooting percentage (as others have noted) was never good. What she really needed to become was a good all-around player who could create scoring opportunities for others, not just herself. That's what the Vols needed, but in part she was a victim of UT's terrible half-court offense. Simmons also needs to get stronger. She will make the roster--she can create her own shot and the more open pro game may benefit her--and I hope she does well. She's a very good person, and that will serve her well moving forward.

The thing is that Simmons CAN create scoring opportunities for others. She's shown the ability to draw in multiple defenders then dump the ball to an open teammate for an easy layup. She just has to show more willingness to do this.

I will say that if it comes down to her vs. Kamiko Williams making a spot, I'll be rooting for Kamiko. She was criminally underused at Tennessee, and it would be good to see her make up for lost time in the WNBA.

an NBA comparison for her would be a 6th man who can score bunches when they are on. A less consistent J.R. Smith or a Nate Robinson, etc. type. Sadly, the WNBA doesn't have much of the athletic factor that many of those guys have in the NBA. Lots of coaches can overlook bad nights if you are a freak athlete, not so much in the women's game.

Bingo. If Simmons played for Geno or McGraw she is an All-American and first round pick. This coaching staff failed her.

Bingo. If Simmons played for Geno or McGraw she is an All-American and first round pick. This coaching staff failed her.

Absolutely right! Again I ask how many of the posters actually attend the games. If you did, you would see the difference in the entire team when Simmons is on the court. Her shooting average used to be good until this environment of "punishment if you miss a shot". It happened to Simmons, Carter, and Russell. Look at when they came to now. Nobody wants to shoot. Look at the stats. Hoping it doesn't happen to Reynolds. If it does, we will get No points. Yes, Simmons went crazy, but she wanted to win and when we weren't winning, she tried. Did you also notice that all the other head coaches were at the draft except ours? Speaks to the support Simmons got all year. It almost cost her an opportunity in the WNBA.

Absolutely right! Again I ask how many of the posters actually attend the games. If you did, you would see the difference in the entire team when Simmons is on the court. Her shooting average used to be good until this environment of "punishment if you miss a shot". It happened to Simmons, Carter, and Russell. Look at when they came to now. Nobody wants to shoot. Look at the stats. Hoping it doesn't happen to Reynolds. If it does, we will get No points. Yes, Simmons went crazy, but she wanted to win and when we weren't winning, she tried. Did you also notice that all the other head coaches were at the draft except ours? Speaks to the support Simmons got all year. It almost cost her an opportunity in the WNBA.
Ouch! A little on the harsh side, but still some very good points. Meghan played hard, and yes, I was at the games and I really liked her and her effort. Wondered why Holly was not at the draft, but both Kyra and Law were, don't know about Dean.

Everybody loves Simmons' passion, but the coaches never turned her skill set into a complete basketball player. I cringed listening to Warlick talk about Simmons because it showed that either she doesn't know much about basketball, despite 30 years of coaching, or that she's too meek to get in the kitchen of players who need to improve their games--or both. I think it's both. She said this all year: "Meighan is just a scorer."

Great post armchair. Yes she might have been #1 LV's scorer in all of history BUT. . . how did the team do during her four years? It's interesting that last night I heard the CT coach talking about how Stewart needed to improve her all around game, to improve her ball handling skills. OMG this is the kid that was MVP of 2 final fours. Where is that kind of coaching here???

Some of you forget that Meighan overachieved coming into college, NOT underachieved. She wasn't highly touted and came on hot as a Freshman out of nowhere and gave us 4 very productive, solid years. There's no reason she shouldn't at least get some playing time in the WNBA based on her quickness alone. She may even flourish if the team isn't relying on her to be the star player. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

VN Store

Back