Geno will Never be a better coach than Pat Summitt

volfan2024

“Wanna play ball scarecrow “
She was the girls basketball pioneer and had to resign due to medical disability. Let the record books show.He was a follower and became rich thanks to Pat.Bias-of course, truth, yes.

Reactions: 4 people
She was the girls basketball pioneer and had to resign due to medical disability. Let the record books show.He was a follower and became rich thanks to Pat.Bias-of course, truth, yes.

He's admitted as much before in interviews.

Besides, I don't think you can judge who's a "better coach" based on championships alone. You have to look at the entire body of work, contributions to the game, overall record and quality of opposition, etc. IMO, Pat's legacy is still far from being overcome. That's not to take away from Geno as a coach; I can't stand the guy, but you have to admit he's a good coach and gets the most out of his athletes.

Honestly, I'm surprised he's not ever been snatched up by a men's program somewhere. Anyone know if he's ever been approached by teams?

Honestly, I'm surprised he's not ever been snatched up by a men's program somewhere. Anyone know if he's ever been approached by teams?

There was light speculation he wanted the men's job at UCONN when Calhoun retired.

Geno is already a better coach than Pat. It's ok to admit that. It doesn't lessen the fact that Pat pioneered the sport.

Thread title should be...

"Geno will never be a better person than Pat Summit."

Reactions: 10 people
I think he is a better X and Os coach, but will never be as important, or influential as pat

Reactions: 1 person
Geno is already a better coach than Pat. It's ok to admit that. It doesn't lessen the fact that Pat pioneered the sport.

I hate to admit it but you're right. He has 5 undefeated teams and 9 national championships....that's an amazing feat

You are right, but prepare to be blasted.

I hate to admit it but you're right. He has 5 undefeated teams and 9 national championships....that's an amazing feat

Hopefully the fans at UConn don't refer to themselves/the team as we.....because man you are going to be angry about that. I can see you now...

index.php

Reactions: 2 people
You are right, but prepare to be blasted.

If I get blasted, it'll simply be name calling. Logic and facts tell the truth.

LV fans have a bad inferiority complex. Not sure why. Pat will always be an icon. Geno being better at one aspect of the game does not dim Summit's light one bit.

It's called objectivity and you have it. Good post.

Pat will go down in history as the woman who pretty much single-handedly put women's college basketball on the map. All Geno will be remembered for is this:

Geno's.jpg

Anyone know details about Geno & Pat feud a few years back?

Yes. Coach Summitt knows, Coach Auriemma knows, Coach Warlick probably knows and Maria Cornelius claims to know but no one seems to be willing to reveal it. The only thing clear is that it has to do with the recruiting of Maya Moore. All else is speculation.

Anyone know details about Geno & Pat feud a few years back?

Yes. It was about being the 2 HCs of the 2 dominant programs in women's BB at that time. Now it looks like the feuding is between Muffett McGraw and Geno as it is now Notre Dame and UConn that are the 2 premier programs.

And I agree with others; Geno recruits great talent; and he gets the maximum out of his players, and they execute at both ends of the court as talented teams should execute. Like him nor not, he's the best coach in the women's game.

I love PS--but Geno was and is a better coach. That's just a fact. PS made a lot of hay in the early years of women's basketball--and that doesn't take anything away from her ENORMOUS accomplishments and ENORMOUS contributions to the growth of women's basketball. Others always come along...If PS had started coaching the same year that Geno did--and I have to check to see how much later he started--we wouldn't have 8 titles. I noticed how well coached Ct. was very early on, before he had good players. If you know basketball it is easy to see which teams are well coached and which are not: well coached teams do not make a lot of the mistakes. It was/is the same with McGraw: For a long time she did not have much talent--but ND was competitive because it was well coached, and now ND gets talent. I recall the UT-Ct. championship game when Taurasi was a senior. Other than Taurasi, Ct. had a very young team. UT had Lawson and a good forward whose name I've forgottten, a veteran team. Geno beat us in the title game. Telling.

Geno coaches like PS AND is a much better offensive coach. This has been true from the start. I have thought for 15 years that, first PS & staff, and now Warlick & Staff, would recognize this--but they don't, as our offensive execution is still terrible. Do you see Ct. on offense? The players always know what they are doing. They are an excellent passing team while our passing has been somewhere between average and bad for 20 years.

I don't say all this because I like Ct. I don't like Ct. I have been complaining about our mediocre coaching for one simple reason: Because I didn't want to see happen what happened last night--and which I KNEW would happen: geno passes PS for the most titles. I didn't want it to happen--but you could see it coming because the two programs have been moving in opposite directions for years. The truth is, UT has been struggling--by our standards-- for a LONG time. PS coached too long and the law of diminishing returns/burnout kicked in, big-time. Anybody who thinks that someone coaches as well in years, say, 25-32 as they did in years, say, 5-15 knows nothing about coaching.

There was nothing to be done about it. PS was/is a legend, and she was going to coach as long as she wanted: She was the Joe Paterno of women's basketball--and Paterno coached WAY, WAY, too long. Penn. State was a national power during the first 20 years of Paterno career--and almost never better than mediocre the last 20 years of his reign. Sound familiar? UT has been better than mediocre--but not by much. We've been going through a long transition period and will continue to go through it until we get a first-rate coach and staff. I'm not really knocking Warlick--she spent almost her entire career (roughly 30 years!) as an assistant/friend of Pat. It is very hard to suddenly become a good head coach when you've been an assistant for that long--doesn't happen, and it is not happening for UT. We will need to get our act together if we want to be a power program again. Warlick has actually improved the recruiting, but that's not what I worry about.

Last edited:
Yes. Coach Summitt knows, Coach Auriemma knows, Coach Warlick probably knows and Maria Cornelius claims to know but no one seems to be willing to reveal it. The only thing clear is that it has to do with the recruiting of Maya Moore. All else is speculation.

Everybody "knows" but doesn't want to talk about it. I'd say its fairly obvious if you ask me...

The pink elephant in the room when it comes to women's basketball recruiting.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back