Holly has to lead us to the final four next season.

Volfan2012

If not I don't think she ever will. Next year will be the best Tennessee team since 2009. If she can't get it done with the talent on this roster I am fearful of the future of the Lady Vol program under her guidance.

PG- Carter, Massengale, Reynolds, Middleton
SG- Tucker, Middleton, Dunbar
C-Harrison, Russell
PF-Graves, Burdick, Moore
WF-Burdick, Nared

This has to be Holly's year to put up or shut up with top five talent.

Reactions: 3 people
Or what?

"Holly, the sweet 16 or even the elite 8 aren't good enough this year! It's the Final Four or you're canned!"

STFU and GTFO :hi:

Are you one of those morons who signed the petition to can Cuonzo? :banghead2:

Reactions: 8 people
Or what?

"Holly, the sweet 16 or even the elite 8 aren't good enough this year! It's the Final Four or you're canned!"

The final four is the expectation for the program that Pat built and she has exceptional talent. I think the women's program has to maintain that expectation

Are you just a moron period asking a stupid question on a women's board. Seems you would meet the qualifications.

I think some can't come to terms that the women's game is no longer just Tennessee & UCONN. The Women's Tournament is getting closer and closer to being like the Men's game where any team can win on a given night.

Girls high school basketball across the country is getting better and better (you can see that just here in-state) and top players who just 10 years ago were going to Tennessee or UCONN are now going to schools all over the country like Notre Dame, Baylor, Louisville, Nebraska, South Carolina, Texas A&M, Oklahoma St., Kentucky and Maryland among many others.

Reactions: 7 people
If not I don't think she ever will. Next year will be the best Tennessee team since 2009. If she can't get it done with the talent on this roster I am fearful of the future of the Lady Vol program under her guidance.

PG- Carter, Massengale, Reynolds, Middleton
SG- Tucker, Middleton, Dunbar
C-Harrison, Russell
PF-Graves, Burdick, Moore
WF-Burdick, Nared

This has to be Holly's year to put up or shut up with top five talent.

There's one elite player (Harrison) in that bunch, and she's not on the same level as a Stewart, Loyd, or KML. They can get a way with it if the rest of the team elevates to Harrison's level of play.

Players need to step up, and its on them as much as it is Holly.

Leads to an interesting question. Could John Wooden have the same success with the parity in today's game? How about NC coach Dean? Will coach K be as good as he once was? Has parity in both women's and men's BB made dynasties a thing of the past?

Or what?

Women's and Men's teams at UT are totally different. At UT if you get to the sweet sixteen with the men then you've done a great job but if you're with the women where they're used to winning National Championships then the sweet sixteen just isn't good enough especially when you've got top 5 talent and you're ranked #2 in the preseason. I agree with the OP so you need to just STFU or GTFO

Reactions: 2 people
Are you just a moron period asking a stupid question on a women's board. Seems you would meet the qualifications.

Well, my kids probably think I'm a moron, but that's another story.

My point being, have we as a fanbase still not learned our lesson about sticking our noses too far into these situations and setting ridiculous expectations that need to be met with a pink slip if we are not happy? Do you really think we should show Holly the door if she doesn't make the Final Four next year? Have you not read any of the discussions about what almost happened with us trying to run off a coach who just made it to the Sweet 16? I understand that these situations are not exactly the same, but the idea that our fanbase continues to eat its own is relevant here.

How about this. How about maybe letting the coach do their job and at least coach the games first and let's see what kind of team we have before we, common place fans, tell them what we expect. I know a lot of us think we're the s*%t when it comes to coaching, but there's a reason those guys get paid millions and we don't.

If we don't make it to the Sweet 16 next year should we FAHR CUONZO?????????

If we don't go 9-3 of better next year should we FAHR BUTCH???????????

What about Serrano? College World Series Finals or BUST?

C'mon man!!!!!

Reactions: 5 people
Women's and Men's teams at UT are totally different. At UT if you get to the sweet sixteen with the men then you've done a great job but if you're with the women where they're used to winning National Championships then the sweet sixteen just isn't good enough especially when you've got top 5 talent and you're ranked #2 in the preseason. I agree with the OP so you need to just STFU or GTFO

OK hotrod, tell you what. Next year, if the Lady Vols only make it to the Elite 8, and we can Holly, you wait and see what kind of coach we hire. No coach worth a nickel will come within 1000 miles of Knoxville. Even though I've bled orange longer than many on here have been alive, it still amazes me how short sighted and naive many in our fanbase are.

A passionate fanbase is one thing, but some of you people are just nuts.

Reactions: 8 people
Let me be clear about something. I have great expectations and high hopes for our teams and our coaches. I believe we are headed in the right direction now, having (hopefully) righted the ship after getting rid of that dumb azz Hamilton. I just don't agree with the idea that fans would call for the termination of a coach because outstanding success wasn't outstanding enough.

Calling for a bad coach to go is expected. Unfortunately Coach Fulmer lost his mojo in the final years. I get fans calling for a change. Dooley was a complete idiot, I get fans calling for a change. We've had bad coaches in almost every area that were rightfully called onto the carpet. I even called out Cuonzo during the season for dreadfully poor play by our team when we all knew they were capable of better. I didn't, however, sign a petition to can the guy during the freakin season. 30,000 some odd people did this and then look what happened, we went to the Sweet 16. We have to stop eating our own at Tennessee.

Reactions: 7 people
Well, my kids probably think I'm a moron, but that's another story.

My point being, have we as a fanbase still not learned our lesson about sticking our noses too far into these situations and setting ridiculous expectations that need to be met with a pink slip if we are not happy? Do you really think we should show Holly the door if she doesn't make the Final Four next year? Have you not read any of the discussions about what almost happened with us trying to run off a coach who just made it to the Sweet 16? I understand that these situations are not exactly the same, but the idea that our fanbase continues to eat its own is relevant here.

How about this. How about maybe letting the coach do their job and at least coach the games first and let's see what kind of team we have before we, common place fans, tell them what we expect. I know a lot of us think we're the s*%t when it comes to coaching, but there's a reason those guys get paid millions and we don't.
The point being Tennesse was a one seed lost to a four seed on a neutral court that is underachieving.
If we don't make it to the Sweet 16 next year should we FAHR CUONZO?????????
He want have the talent unless some things happen in the off season. Expectations are based on talent.

If we don't go 9-3 of better next year should we FAHR BUTCH???????????
Butch is rebuilding there will come a time when expectations will rise he is not there yet with his roster.
What about Serrano? College World Series Finals or BUST?
He doesn't have the talent either to make that jump. I expect soon the expectations of fans will rise if he recruits better.

C'mon man!!!!!

It is about talent on hand and what you make of that talent. The point being you base your expectations on the players you have on hand. Not many teams in WCBB have seven five star players on their roster. If you can't make a final four with that kind of talent then you never will. I never said she should be fired just that expectations that she will be able to maintain what Pat built will be gone. She will not be capable if she can't take a team with talent and quality depth to the final four.
We will have moved into another echelon as far as the program goes no longer at the top in the elite group. We will be second tier and it want be because of talent it will be because of coaching.
As far as Holly remaining as coach I can see that happening for many years to come, but expectations will have to be a lot lower because I doubt she has many rosters in the future like the one she will have next season.

Reactions: 1 person
OK hotrod, tell you what. Next year, if the Lady Vols only make it to the Elite 8, and we can Holly, you wait and see what kind of coach we hire. No coach worth a nickel will come within 1000 miles of Knoxville. Even though I've bled orange longer than many on here have been alive, it still amazes me how short sighted and naive many in our fanbase are.

A passionate fanbase is one thing, but some of you people are just nuts.

She is not getting fired the point of the post was that expectations for the program will have to be lowered. That is all.

Let me be clear about something. I have great expectations and high hopes for our teams and our coaches. I believe we are headed in the right direction now, having (hopefully) righted the ship after getting rid of that dumb azz Hamilton. I just don't agree with the idea that fans would call for the termination of a coach because outstanding success wasn't outstanding enough.

Calling for a bad coach to go is expected. Unfortunately Coach Fulmer lost his mojo in the final years. I get fans calling for a change. Dooley was a complete idiot, I get fans calling for a change. We've had bad coaches in almost every area that were rightfully called onto the carpet. I even called out Cuonzo during the season for dreadfully poor play by our team when we all knew they were capable of better. I didn't, however, sign a petition to can the guy during the freakin season. 30,000 some odd people did this and then look what happened, we went to the Sweet 16. We have to stop eating our own at Tennessee.

You keep talking about firing people. I never mentioned anyone getting fired just lowering expectations of that persons ability. If she can't make it with that roster she we'll probably never see a final four again. That is all.

Two things:
1. parity
2. No one fears Tennessee anymore .

Our roster will not equal parity next season. It will have a talent level of schools like UConn and Notre Dame. This year's team was not at that level. Next season that all changes when we add two five star wings that averaged 30 ppg in high school and return every player except Simmons.

Leads to an interesting question. Could John Wooden have the same success with the parity in today's game? How about NC coach Dean? Will coach K be as good as he once was? Has parity in both women's and men's BB made dynasties a thing of the past?

Really? Watch UCONN win another this year. AND--go Undefeated. Looks like a Dynasty to me. When you have Talent, the rest is on coaching. Lady Vols have the talent---this year.

I think some can't come to terms that the women's game is no longer just Tennessee & UCONN. The Women's Tournament is getting closer and closer to being like the Men's game where any team can win on a given night.

Girls high school basketball across the country is getting better and better (you can see that just here in-state) and top players who just 10 years ago were going to Tennessee or UCONN are now going to schools all over the country like Notre Dame, Baylor, Louisville, Nebraska, South Carolina, Texas A&M, Oklahoma St., Kentucky and Maryland among many others.

No It is now UConn and Notre Dame and UConn has not missed a step or lost a game to anyone except Notre Dame and Stanford in the last two seasons. If parity is here when do they start losing? Our roster next season will finally after several years equal what they have as we add two wing players that averaged 30 ppg each in high school. I admit we did not have equal talent to them this season. Next season is different were at their level what Holly makes of it will determine to me whether she is capable of maintaining the program that Pat built. If she can't expect to be at another level as long as she is coach which could be for several years to come.

No It is now UConn and Notre Dame and UConn has not missed a step or lost a game to anyone except Notre Dame and Stanford in the last two seasons. If parity is here when do they start losing? Our roster next season will finally after several years equal what they have as we add two wing players that averaged 30 ppg each in high school. I admit we did not have equal talent to them this season. Next season is different were at their level what Holly makes of it will determine to me whether she is capable of maintaining the program that Pat built. If she can't expect to be at another level as long as she is coach which could be for several years to come.

UCONN has great talent for sure and I do believe they may have the best coaching staff as well.

Next season Tennessee adds two more five star players to their roster both averaged 30 ppg in their senior seasons. I am all for parity someone forgot to tell UConn it is here they just keep winning and next season we can match them in talent for the first time in a long time. I think that is why I say expectations should be high a final four at least. If not we can lower our expectations because if she can't make it next season I don't see it happening in the future.

Are you delirious with this post? Excellent players have been going to several teams for years. No one has had a monopoly on all the great players. Although it certainly is 'possible' that on any given night. . . The reality is there are only a few (maybe 2) really elite teams this year - and the LV's aren't one of them.

There is a totally different mindset between Knoxville and South Bend & Storrs. Did you watch their two games last night? Not only are these teams playing on another level, they have already won the 'mindgame. UConn doesn't cut down nets in regional finals. Their team has one goal in mind from the beginning of the year - and its not 'making the sweet 16'.

Muffet has her team convinced they are invincible - no one can beat them. They have the swagger and the record to back it up.

We need more of that attitude. If you lose the mindgame, the basketball game is already lost.

I think Holly will be given three more seasons. There isn't as much urgency connected with Women's basketball as with Football or Men's basketball

Our roster will not equal parity next season. It will have a talent level of schools like UConn and Notre Dame. This year's team was not at that level. Next season that all changes when we add two five star wings that averaged 30 ppg in high school and return every player except Simmons.

I hope these two 5 stars can score consistently. Seems that the Lady Vols were very inconsistent in their offense this year - very hot or stone cold.

Or what?

I hope you aren't still paying dues to the STFU (Southern Tenant Farmer's Union) they're out of business.

And, where can we GTFO? (Get The Free Orange stuff?

VN Store

Back