Under current conditions

DoubleA

I feel we will continue to have "good" teams because of talent, but will not have elite teams because of coaching.

Reactions: 7 people
This teams needs to work on ball handling this summer. Burdick and Harrison were no shows today. Hopefully this will be a strong motivation. Next year the focus from day 1, game one has to be better. We have talent, but our posts must work on footwork, free throw shooting, and getting stronger. Not having Massengale did hurt in many games, so for all the people who acted like she was expendable, the tourney games proved you wrong Coaching was not why we lost this games, poor decisions and turnovers were

Yes it came down to coaching today. Every time a player made a mistake all Holly did was clap her hands or stomp her feet. I would have been up in these girls grill all game. Toughness is a represitation of the coaching.

Reactions: 1 person
What amazes me about WCBB is that 3-25 ranked teams have no chance against the top 2, further more the lady vols always seem to be the exception to this rule.

I am hoping the players develop over the summer namely Jones, Russell, and Reynolds into better players. Burdick is up and down in her play suspect she will always be that way. Izzy is the same good one game and bad the next. Graves total failure as a soph think she played to much ball during the summer her basketball IQ needs an upgrade. Carter minutes played probably got to her. Massengale may be through as a player. Simmons good luck in the WNBA. Nia Moore haven't got a clue what she is about with this team.

Nared 30 ppg 14 rpg 53 percent shooting would take that right now as a freshman. Middleton good steady player high basketball IQ shoots the three well. Dunbar can come in and make some threes open up the floor. Tucker counting on her to be a great player for us.

We actually threw the ball in bounds three times today then passed it right back to the Maryland player. Did a lot of one on one not very effective doing it. Our usual seven eight passes to a post player batted down and intercepted. Our usual ten to fifteen misses from ten to 12 feet. Our usual 8 or 9 three missed in a row. Our usual bad defense on the drive to the basket. All adds up to a big defeat.

Holly will be around for a while longer. With a Men's basketball coaching change very possible Holly is safe(IMO) for the next 3 seasons at least.

I am hoping the players develop over the summer namely Jones, Russell, and Reynolds into better players. Burdick is up and down in her play suspect she will always be that way. Izzy is the same good one game and bad the next. Graves total failure as a soph think she played to much ball during the summer her basketball IQ needs an upgrade. Carter minutes played probably got to her. Massengale may be through as a player. Simmons good luck in the WNBA. Nia Moore haven't got a clue what she is about with this team.

Izzy has been consistently good since SEC play began. She got ZERO help from Graves, Russell and Burdick today, so she got swallowed every time she caught the ball.

Burdick is not the kind of player who should be playing 30+ minutes for a top ten team. Loads of talent, but no toughness, nada, unless Tennessee is playing a mediocre team.

Graves went from a Wooden pre season pick to a marginal SEC player. Huge disappointment this year after such a strong freshman year. :no:

Last edited:
The job of the coach is to teach discipline, passing and shooting skills, and to maintain control during the games. Holly doesn't do any of that obviously. She allowed Megan Simmons to run the full court, completely out of control and sling the basketball with no real aim. She should have taken her out early in the game and settled her down. She should have had some game plan for the team when they just stood around looking for their first cousins. She allowed her team to lose to basically ONE player. This is outrageous and embarrasing! How anyone could think this is acceptabe is beyond me. Hold her accountable!

Reactions: 2 people
Yes, put Simmons on the bench. The hell with her 31 points. We seem to have more coaches on VN than UT has student athletes in all sports.

Reactions: 3 people
I guess everything could come down to coaching, as viewed by VN.

It never comes down to the players playing a bad game, the reason we lose any game in any sport is coaching, I wonder when you lose a game of marbles who is at fault.:)

The job of the coach is to teach discipline, passing and shooting skills, and to maintain control during the games. Holly doesn't do any of that obviously. She allowed Megan Simmons to run the full court, completely out of control and sling the basketball with no real aim. She should have taken her out early in the game and settled her down. She should have had some game plan for the team when they just stood around looking for their first cousins. She allowed her team to lose to basically ONE player. This is outrageous and embarrasing! How anyone could think this is acceptabe is beyond me. Hold her accountable!

Agree. The team should be a reflection of the coach. Yes, the team plays but the coach molds that team he or she wants them to perform. If a player doesn't produce Pat Summitt would sit them in a minute. It just doesn't seem like our team plays hard enough, I mean, they don't protect the basketball and don't seem to get after it like other teams, Baylor, UCONN, etc., the coach has to see what's happening and make adjustments. I don't see that happening at all. I still say hire the KY women's coach.

Graves should switch to a different school. She hasn't been motivated in the current environment and a change could benefit both her and the school.

I'd be amazed if simmons makes a WNBA squad.

Yes it came down to coaching today. Every time a player made a mistake all Holly did was clap her hands or stomp her feet. I would have been up in these girls grill all game. Toughness is a represitation of the coaching.
But she's clapping and stomping much harder lately. A good sign for next year.

Graves should switch to a different school. She hasn't been motivated in the current environment and a change could benefit both her and the school.

I'd be amazed if simmons makes a WNBA squad.

How did Graves go from being great as a freshman to non- existent this year. Something going on more than what we know.

Nared 30 ppg 14 rpg 53 percent shooting would take that right now as a freshman. Middleton good steady player high basketball IQ shoots the three well. Dunbar can come in and make some threes open up the floor. Tucker counting on her to be a great player for us.
Relying on what a player did in High School isn't a good strategy. Only a very few do well their 1st year.

If Tucker has another surgery, I think it's 50 50 if she ever plays again.

VN Store

Back