Great Job Girls!

volfan2024

“Wanna play ball scarecrow “
Holly continues to impress with her coaching and the girls are impressing as well. Nice to have girls and boys in.:rock:

Reactions: 2 people
I'm sorry...but Holly doesn't impress me. I think we are very talented, but we play very sloppy at times and show lack of discipline. Yes, we have good spurts here and there and look really good against inferior teams (sometimes)...but when I watch a Notre Dame or UConn...(which I dislike both) those teams seem to look like a well oiled machine both offensively and defensively. I can appreciate purposeful offensive possessions and discipline on both ends of the court. Anyway...just my opinion. I personally hope we run the table...but I'm also realistic.

Reactions: 5 people
Holly continues to impress with her coaching and the girls are impressing as well. Nice to have girls and boys in.:rock:

I have to admit that I was one of them that preferred that Holly not get the job. I thought that Caldwell would be better suited for the job.

Seems that I may have been wrong. 75% winning average from last season's team. A #1 seed in this years tourney and the S.E.C. tourney champs is real good.

I'm sorry...but Holly doesn't impress me. I think we are very talented, but we play very sloppy at times and show lack of discipline. Yes, we have good spurts here and there and look really good against inferior teams (sometimes)...but when I watch a Notre Dame or UConn...(which I dislike both) those teams seem to look like a well oiled machine both offensively and defensively. I can appreciate purposeful offensive possessions and discipline on both ends of the court. Anyway...just my opinion. I personally hope we run the table...but I'm also realistic.

The Quick Draw Mcgraws vs. the Auri-enemas for the NC. Who is able to make war with them (?)! The players on those teams look athletic and strong,not to mention very skilled. If we recruit these same type players a NC is very realistic.

I have to admit that I was one of them that preferred that Holly not get the job. I thought that Caldwell would be better suited for the job.

Seems that I may have been wrong. 75% winning average from last season's team. A #1 seed in this years tourney and the S.E.C. tourney champs is real good.

no you was right. with the recruits we have we should be destroying teams like uconn. not struggle most of game then win when the other team is tired

If we just win our next game and lose competitively in the elite 8, it'll be tied for the best season since our last national championship which was last year's team that Holly coached.

Obviously I want us to win at least the next two game and preferably the next 4 :)

Reactions: 1 person
The Quick Draw Mcgraws vs. the Auri-enemas for the NC. Who is able to make war with them (?)! The players on those teams look athletic and strong,not to mention very skilled. If we recruit these same type players a NC is very realistic.

Agreed....but there's "still" a difference in coaching as well. Ex.: team discipline,game management,in game adjustments,proper use of time outs,proper substitutions,team command and the DEMANDING level of excellence! Just saying.

This was a nice win and very emblematic of the way the Vols have played for about a decade--stretches of very good play with stretches of hide-your-eyes bad play. St. John's hurt us with their quickness, and the game looked like it was going to be close-- but UT's size ultimately proved too much for them, and we started playing much better defense in the last 10 minutes of the game--either that or St. John's just ran out of gas, which is very possible. Without Massengale our offensive deficiencies are really apparent. Burdick HAS to score now to give half a chance against good teams that will double Harrison, and Simmons has to shoot better. Everyone else is capable of contributing a basket now and then--but those three will have to carry the load on a offense that can look ragged more than it should.

It's difficult to judge. Holly has more highly ranked players so she should do better than Caldwell.

It's difficult to judge. Holly has more highly ranked players so she should do better than Caldwell.

A little perspective. Tennessee is #3 in the country and a tournament #1 seed, so it's not like Tennessee has fallen off the proverbial cliff.

The downside is that the gap between #1 UConn and #3 Tennessee is bigger than the gap between #3 Tennessee and #20 MTSU.

Agreed....but there's "still" a difference in coaching as well. Ex.: team discipline,game management,in game adjustments,proper use of time outs,proper substitutions,team command and the DEMANDING level of excellence! Just saying.

All of the above =championships .

Studies on boards show that 65% of all comments are negative. This board must have been involved in the research. Wonder what the boarders for Duke are writing just about now? For those who don't know The team that beat Duke won their conference by beating St John's 105-100.

One of CB's comments on the post game was something to the effect "we mouthed the importance of defense and rebounds dictating our offense but now we actually believe it.

One thing about this team is that they hang around til the end...That kinda bothers me, hope this doesn't come back and get us in these final few games. IMO, if they would come in to the game with the mindset that we are 20 down at the start of the game, they would win every game easily!

A little perspective. Tennessee is #3 in the country and a tournament #1 seed, so it's not like Tennessee has fallen off the proverbial cliff.

The downside is that the gap between #1 UConn and #3 Tennessee is bigger than the gap between #3 Tennessee and #20 MTSU.

I haven't followed women's bball since Candace Parker was here but I was expecting to see UConn come back down to earth with the collapse of the old big east but that doesn't seem to be happening. I know that part of the reason that former great programs such as Louisiana Tech and Old Dominion slowly faded away was their inability to gain acceptance to major conferences as more major universities started taking women's bball seriously. Is UConn's brand just too strong to be hurt by being in a mid-major league? I hope we don't have to wait for Auriemma to retire to have a different champion.

I haven't followed women's bball since Candace Parker was here but I was expecting to see UConn come back down to earth with the collapse of the old big east but that doesn't seem to be happening. I know that part of the reason that former great programs such as Louisiana Tech and Old Dominion slowly faded away was their inability to gain acceptance to major conferences as more major universities started taking women's bball seriously. Is UConn's brand just too strong to be hurt by being in a mid-major league? I hope we don't have to wait for Auriemma to retire to have a different champion.

He got lucky that Breanna Stewart picked UConn and decided to go all-world once the NCAA tournament began. This year, she picked up right where she left off, Hartley got her game back and Jefferson made ridiculous improvements at the point. Sad to say...their players came through.

Geno seems to get to his players, they respond well, and they improve year after year. Maybe they don't drop off until he's gone, but as long as he keeps getting these kids that continually improve like the UConn players do, then they won't be going anywhere.

I do think they should be significantly weaker next year, with Dolson and Hartley leaving and Tuck's health status unknown. They will have only Stewart and Stokes at 6'2+, and Stokes is not an offensive threat. If they don't get another serviceable big the following year, then they should fall with the rest of the pack...Stewart be damned.

Tennessee should be the team to beat next year because they will have depth and supposed talent at each position. Russell will be key. If she's not posting the kind of numbers that Alaina Coates posted this year, then Tennessee is screwed. She was #1 for a reason, so I'd like to think that next year she'll have it all together once the season starts.

He got lucky that Breanna Stewart picked UConn and decided to go all-world once the NCAA tournament began. This year, she picked up right where she left off, Hartley got her game back and Jefferson made ridiculous improvements at the point. Sad to say...their players came through.

Geno seems to get to his players, they respond well, and they improve year after year. Maybe they don't drop off until he's gone, but as long as he keeps getting these kids that continually improve like the UConn players do, then they won't be going anywhere.

I do think they should be significantly weaker next year, with Dolson and Hartley leaving and Tuck's health status unknown. They will have only Stewart and Stokes at 6'2+, and Stokes is not an offensive threat. If they don't get another serviceable big the following year, then they should fall with the rest of the pack...Stewart be damned.

Tennessee should be the team to beat next year because they will have depth and supposed talent at each position. Russell will be key. If she's not posting the kind of numbers that Alaina Coates posted this year, then Tennessee is screwed. She was #1 for a reason, so I'd like to think that next year she'll have it all together once the season starts.
Geno got lucky? Yes, success is just a matter of luck, ask any failure. I think uconn will be significantly weaker next year the way Notre Dame was significantly weaker after Diggins left.

Uconn has the 3rd best recruiting class coming in and I think people will be shocked at how good Kia Nurse is as a freshman.

Like every year for the past 6 years Tennessee should be better next year than last year. I agree, Russell was number one for a reason. That reason was rating services make mistakes. She should improve but her body type doesn’t appear to be capable of big improvement.

I agree with you Tennessee may be the team to beat next year – if A’ja Wilson chooses TN. If that doesn’t happen, TN will slip a bit from this year compared with the competition.

I doubt if Geno will be going anywhere anytime soon. I think he’s after Wooden’s record plus he enjoys his job. Plus 2 more yeas of Stewart and Jefferson (who has shot 65% since Feb1 and higher than that from 3 pt range), what's not to like.

Geno got lucky? Yes, success is just a matter of luck, ask any failure. I think uconn will be significantly weaker next year the way Notre Dame was significantly weaker after Diggins left.

Uconn has the 3rd best recruiting class coming in and I think people will be shocked at how good Kia Nurse is as a freshman.

Like every year for the past 6 years Tennessee should be better next year than last year. I agree, Russell was number one for a reason. That reason was rating services make mistakes. She should improve but her body type doesn’t appear to be capable of big improvement.

I agree with you Tennessee may be the team to beat next year – if A’ja Wilson chooses TN. If that doesn’t happen, TN will slip a bit from this year compared with the competition.

I doubt if Geno will be going anywhere anytime soon. I think he’s after Wooden’s record plus he enjoys his job. Plus 2 more yeas of Stewart and Jefferson (who has shot 65% since Feb1 and higher than that from 3 pt range), what's not to like.

The void left by Diggins was filled by Lindsey Allen being able to run the offense and Jewell Lloyd's massive improvement.

UConn loses their 6'5 anchor. They have a bunch of really good guards coming in, but they don't have interior presence and no one coming in to fill that gap. You've got Stewart and Stokes, possibly Tuck if she's healthy. Stokes is no Dolson. You're overly optimistic if you don't think that void will be tough to fill. Of course, if Wilson picks UConn, then everyone else might as well just hand them the trophy for at least the 3 years to follow...

As for Russell, maybe the recruiting services were wrong, but...she doesn't have the body to improve? Dolson looked like she could barely walk her freshman year, and she's about as far from an athletic post as there is in WCBB, but she plays smart and uses her size to her advantage. What's to stop Russell from doing the same?

Don't start giving your incoming freshmen awards just yet. It could very well be that the recruiting services weren't just wrong this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
I prefer to hear the players answer the question implied in this thread. "we can only play LV basketball we can not worry about any team other than the one we are playing next."

Connecticut will be a great team every year - the only way they could be hurt would be their very weak conference and how that may impact recruiting. But with Geno the Olympic coach and ESPN down the street - they will continue to rule the mountain. The LVs can get to top again but I don't think it will be at the expense of UConn. But so can South and North Carolina with their talent.

lets focus on the game with Maryland, if you want to talk about climbing step by step

Am I the only one who gets grumpy when Lady Vols players get called "girls"?

I mean, they're the same age as the male athletes. Why is one set called girls? Would we really call the football team "boys"?

Girls are juveniles, not yet reaching adulthood. Is that what female college players are?

--this from a mom of a former college player, female variety.

grump grump grump and {{{{{hugs}}}}} to all. GLV!

Am I the only one who gets grumpy when Lady Vols players get called "girls"?

I mean, they're the same age as the male athletes. Why is one set called girls? Would we really call the football team "boys"?

Girls are juveniles, not yet reaching adulthood. Is that what female college players are?

--this from a mom of a former college player, female variety.

grump grump grump and {{{{{hugs}}}}} to all. GLV!
I actually think it's more of a term of endearment. I think it's a compliment thats meant to be taken on a more personal level...if that makes sense? Go Vols!

The void left by Diggins was filled by Lindsey Allen being able to run the offense and Jewell Lloyd's massive improvement.

UConn loses their 6'5 anchor. They have a bunch of really good guards coming in, but they don't have interior presence and no one coming in to fill that gap. You've got Stewart and Stokes, possibly Tuck if she's healthy. Stokes is no Dolson. You're overly optimistic if you don't think that void will be tough to fill. Of course, if Wilson picks UConn, then everyone else might as well just hand them the trophy for at least the 3 years to follow...

As for Russell, maybe the recruiting services were wrong, but...she doesn't have the body to improve? Dolson looked like she could barely walk her freshman year, and she's about as far from an athletic post as there is in WCBB, but she plays smart and uses her size to her advantage. What's to stop Russell from doing the same?

Don't start giving your incoming freshmen awards just yet. It could very well be that the recruiting services weren't just wrong this year.
Your observations and comments are astute and I appreciate your response. Too often here responses are just personal attacks.

I agree, there is no one that can replace Dolson . I’d be surprised if Wilson picks uconn or TN, but we’ll know on April 16th.

Stokes could be the best big in the nation on defense, otherwise she’s lacking. I think the biggest improvement in players is from frosh to soph so that favors Russell.

I’m not saying Russell can’t improve. Everyone can do that. It’s just my gut feeling that Russell may not have the mental toughness or perhaps the physical ability to improve a lot and become what it was hoped she’d become. Some people’s physiology is just less capable of development no matter how hard they try or want. Being #1 recruit, there is a lot of unfair pressure on her to perform. It will be interesting to see how she develops.

Dolson was just fat and did what was necessary to fix that, i.e., lose weight. Her real value was she’s very smart, mentally tough, and her upper body is strong.

You’ll notice that I only mentioned incoming freshman Nurse even though the other uconn recruits are much higher rated. I think her experience playing with much older players and being a leader on the Canadian national team will give her a head start in college. Plus she’s off the USA radar being from Canada. Some kids in the USA seem to have PR agents to promote and market them, thus it becomes more difficult to rate them fairly. I agree with you. Don’t get too excited over incoming freshmen.

boys , girls ?? I mostly hear them called kids, whether folks are referring to women , girls , men , or boys .... If that is your biggest worry , you're in good shape.

besides they aren't called the Girlie Vols are they ?

Last edited:

VN Store

Back