HOW SWEET IT IS: Lady Vols Stop SJU, 67-51

VN News

#1 seed Tennessee advanced to the Sweet 16 for the 32nd time in 33 years by virtue of a 67-51 victory over #8 seed St. John's on Monday

More...

I watched the game and was really disappointed in the quality of the Lady Vols on the court. Really seems like our recruiting has fallen way, way off from prior years. We look like a team with very limited skills and it appears like everyone has this "attitude" while out there. If I was reviewing this team at year's end, I would make some changes to the Recruiting Coordinator position. I want players with drive and skills; not ones with bad attitudes. Not sure this squad has much more they it can do. Maybe it's just the mix of players out there but it needs fixing fast.

Who does the team lose after this year?

Reactions: 1 person
Hurd that, we should be winnin nattys every year. It's the freaking lady vols.

I watched the game and was really disappointed in the quality of the Lady Vols on the court. Really seems like our recruiting has fallen way, way off from prior years. We look like a team with very limited skills and it appears like everyone has this "attitude" while out there. If I was reviewing this team at year's end, I would make some changes to the Recruiting Coordinator position. I want players with drive and skills; not ones with bad attitudes. Not sure this squad has much more they it can do. Maybe it's just the mix of players out there but it needs fixing fast.

Your not invested enough in the Lady Vols to know who we lose next year but you know enough about them by watching what appears to be a limited amount of games and you think you know the problems? Attitude? No skills? Maybe you need to watch more games or how about going to some games and meeting some of the players. What a novel idea. I think you would have a little different take on the situation if you did.

Reactions: 7 people
Your not invested enough in the Lady Vols to know who we lose next year but you know enough about them by watching what appears to be a limited amount of games and you think you know the problems? Attitude? No skills? Maybe you need to watch more games or how about going to some games and meeting some of the players. What a novel idea. I think you would have a little different take on the situation if you did.

Classic case of someone who can't stand a dose of reality. Keep looking at the LadyVols with those Pat-colored glasses on. This team is a mess. This team was an utter disgrace at times last night and in MANY GAMES THIS YEAR. If you choose to ignore it and say that all is well in -town, that is your (warped) reality.

Think Im alone? Look at the comments last night during the game in the game thread. Sounds more ike you are the one who needs to get a grip.

Last night we won by 16 and were up by as many as 21. I don't remember us trailing at all and if we were it wasn't by much nor for very long.

We are disgrace? Ok, I'll entertain that notion. Besides UCONN and Notre Dame, who is NOT a disgrace then? Is it Duke who got bounced in the 2nd round? Is it South Carolina who we beat twice at the end of the season and got bounced by Kentucky before the tournament finals? Is it Stanford who lost the semi-finals of their tournament to unranked USC who lost first round of the NCAA tournament? Is it Louisville who got SMOKED three games against UCONN and lost to Kentucky and is 3-3 vs ranked teams and has 0 top 10 wins? Is it Baylor who lost by 16 to unranked Kansas and also lost to Kentucky? Is it Kentucky who lost to unranked Florida (twice), Alabama, Georgia, and has no regular season conference title or conference tournament title? Is it West Virginia who lost to unranked Ohio State and Texas (who we beat)?

Serious question: if we put the bar at "Tennessee is a disgrace", then besides UCONN and Notre Dame, where are all the teams that are not disgraced? Because I count 0 not counting the two undefeated teams. Hyperbole much?

I think you and many others have no idea what you're talking about. You can't credibly grade the Lady Vols on a different curve than everyone else.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Classic case of someone who can't stand a dose of reality. Keep looking at the LadyVols with those Pat-colored glasses on. This team is a mess. This team was an utter disgrace at times last night and in MANY GAMES THIS YEAR. If you choose to ignore it and say that all is well in -town, that is your (warped) reality.

Think Im alone? Look at the comments last night during the game in the game thread. Sounds more ike you are the one who needs to get a grip.
I need a dose of reality? That's funny. You talk about our girls having attitudes. How many of them have you met and talked to? I will probably be waiting a while on that answer. This team has no skills but won the SEC tourney and were a number one seed. I don't think those two things match up. I know this team has some issues. They can't pass worth a damn and have way too many unforced errors but I draw a line in the sand when some yahoo starts talking about the character of these girls that they have most likely never met. So who is more realistic here?

Reactions: 5 people
clkou,

Seems like you are trying to rationalize that being a disgrace is OK because everyone else is too except ND and UCONN. There was a time that UT was up at UCONN and ND's level. Not today. Not even close. Both have far better coaches AND players than we do now. That is the real disgrace here.

You say I can't grade the LadyVols on a different scale but you use a different scale in your arquement with UCONN and ND. Different standrad for excellence? So how do you make any sense at all. You don't.

Last edited:
I need a dose of reality? That's funny. You talk about our girls having attitudes. How many of them have you met and talked to? I will probably be waiting a while on that answer. This team has no skills but won the SEC tourney and were a number one seed. I don't think those two things match up. I know this team has some issues. They can't pass worth a damn and have way too many unforced errors but I draw a line in the sand when some yahoo starts talking about the character of these girls that they have most likely never met. So who is more realistic here?

This team is no #1 seed. If they are, we'll see them in the Final Four. Want to bet on that happening?

So all number one seeds make it to the Final Four? Your grasping at straws now. This team has problems. They are not perfect. They could beat any team out there, but they could also lose to any team out there. I've seen them play at a level where nobody could beat them, including UCONN. I've also seen them play where they could lose to almost any team out there.The coaching will make you scratch your head at times but they are a long way from what you described. I'm curious what the next straw you grasp will be.

Reactions: 2 people
So all number one seeds make it to the Final Four? Your grasping at straws now. This team has problems. They are not perfect. They could beat any team out there, but they could also lose to any team out there. I've seen them play at a level where nobody could beat them, including UCONN. I've also seen them play where they could lose to almost any team out there.The coaching will make you scratch your head at times but they are a long way from what you described. I'm curious what the next straw you grasp will be.

No straw to grasp. Just try and use facts which you can't see in your Pat-clored glasses. Go back and make me a sandwich in the kitchen. You flop 180 degrees from post to post so I am bored with you now.

No straw to grasp. Just try and use facts which you can't see in your Pat-clored glasses. Go back and make me a sandwich in the kitchen. You flop 180 degrees from post to post so I am bored with you now.
Ahh.. the Pat-colored glasses straw. The statement after that tells me all I need to know about you. The 180 degree flop statement is just idiotic rambling, like most other stuff you have said.

Reactions: 2 people
I, like most everyone else was getting very upset with out Lady Vols last night when they kept throwing the ball away, and the one time when Carter walked lazily across mid-court and got called for 10 sec., along with missed layups.

But they did get it together and won going away. It was not pretty at times, but Duke and many others would love to be preparing for the sweet 16 today, but instead will be watching 16 teams play.

When I get upset, it is because I love my Lady Vols so much and want them to win another championship; not just for me, but for themselves and UT.

But I do get upset with many of the comments about our ladies. Meighan Simmons has made some bad shots, but she has made so many, many more great shots, and she has given us a spark so many times with her speed flying down the court after a steal to put in a layup, or made a tremendous pass to get us going. We would not be what we are without her. I am very proud she chose to be a Lady Vol.

Basharrah Graves seems to be a little timid this year, but she is a great player. We need her to be encouraged to turn loose and play like she did last year. She can be a critical ingredient for us.

Burdick is a player I love because she never gives up and never gives in. Her hustle is contagious.

Harrison's improvement from last year to this year is unbelievable. She went from timid and shy to a tormenting All-American in one year.

Massengale gave us many good games. Hate for her to have been hurt. Wish her the best.

Carter has come back with unbridled desire. She is all over the court - tough defense and a steady offensive player. Very dependable.

Reynolds has improved by leaps and bounds and I feel very comfortable with the ball in her hands. She is a winner.

Russell has put the timid play behind her and gets better with each game. A force to be reckoned with.

Jones has loads of talent. She has contributed greatly at times. If she can control her play a little more, she can help us so much, especially on defense because she can lock down on any other player.

Moore has not shown her potential, but she has the ability to play.

Wish we had Tucker on the floor now, but will only look forward to next year.

Our Lady Vols may not be perfect, but they are playing very hard; playing smart; and if they will dedicate themselves to playing for 40 minutes over these next games, they can hang Nr. 9 on the rafters in TBA.

Negative people can always find something to complain about, but our ladies don't need to hear those people. They need to hear from fans who believe in them, which is a huge majority. Of course, we have a few misfits who make noise when they have not even followed women's basketball enough to understand what is going on.

Go Lady Vols! You have the backing of 99.9%. The other .1% just have bad days.

Reactions: 6 people
I, like most everyone else was getting very upset with out Lady Vols last night when they kept throwing the ball away, and the one time when Carter walked lazily across mid-court and got called for 10 sec., along with missed layups.

Heh, I rewound my DVR on this play and my personal opinion is that the referee was a second fast in his count. It was close enough where the clock would have had to display accuracy to a hundredth of a seconds to know for sure. I could have done it theoretically with a real watch, but didn't care enough at that point.

Ahh.. the Pat-colored glasses straw. The statement after that tells me all I need to know about you. The 180 degree flop statement is just idiotic rambling, like most other stuff you have said.

All ya really need to know, IMO.

But they did get it together and won going away. It was not pretty at times, but Duke and many others would love to be preparing for the sweet 16 today, but instead will be watching 16 teams play.

When I get upset, it is because I love my Lady Vols so much and want them to win another championship; not just for me, but for themselves and UT.

But I do get upset with many of the comments about our ladies. Meighan Simmons has made some bad shots, but she has made so many, many more great shots, and she has given us a spark so many times with her speed flying down the court after a steal to put in a layup, or made a tremendous pass to get us going. We would not be what we are without her. I am very proud she chose to be a Lady Vol.

Basharrah Graves seems to be a little timid this year, but she is a great player. We need her to be encouraged to turn loose and play like she did last year. She can be a critical ingredient for us.

Burdick is a player I love because she never gives up and never gives in. Her hustle is contagious.

Harrison's improvement from last year to this year is unbelievable. She went from timid and shy to a tormenting All-American in one year.

Massengale gave us many good games. Hate for her to have been hurt. Wish her the best.

Carter has come back with unbridled desire. She is all over the court - tough defense and a steady offensive player. Very dependable.

Reynolds has improved by leaps and bounds and I feel very comfortable with the ball in her hands. She is a winner.

Russell has put the timid play behind her and gets better with each game. A force to be reckoned with.

Jones has loads of talent. She has contributed greatly at times. If she can control her play a little more, she can help us so much, especially on defense because she can lock down on any other player.

Moore has not shown her potential, but she has the ability to play.

Wish we had Tucker on the floor now, but will only look forward to next year.

Our Lady Vols may not be perfect, but they are playing very hard; playing smart; and if they will dedicate themselves to playing for 40 minutes over these next games, they can hang Nr. 9 on the rafters in TBA.

Negative people can always find something to complain about, but our ladies don't need to hear those people. They need to hear from fans who believe in them, which is a huge majority. Of course, we have a few misfits who make noise when they have not even followed women's basketball enough to understand what is going on.

Go Lady Vols! You have the backing of 99.9%. The other .1% just have bad days.

Nice summary.:good!:

I think if you look at the high school records of the recruits coming in next year vs. the high school records of the current roster, you will find the kids coming in next year are not as highly ranked as the existing team on average. Only Nared is a top 10 player but acquiring her prevented a precipitous drop from prior years. A'ja Wilson, if she chooses TN will make a big difference.

Regarding next year's incoming Freshmen, Tennessee has the 6th strongest class. UCLA has the strongest, followed by 2. Duke, 3. Connecticut, 4. South Carolina, 5. Notre Dame.

These ratings are the opinions of people/organizations that are "in the business" of rating players. It doesn't mean they are correct in their assessments.

I can understand your eye test of the Lady Vol team not looking as good as bygone LV teams. It's hard to deny that there are many more talented players available now and Tennessee is no longer getting the majority of them. It also appears that the recruited players in recent years are not developing as well as they once did.

What is to blame for this is difficult to pinpoint? I'd guess the leading candidates are: 1. Inability to tune out the noise of rating services and find the gems that will most help the team. Highly rated players aren't always the best players.

2. Having the right coaches so that players can be developed to their full potential.

3. Having coaches that are flexible and willing to adapt to new methods and are able to work with players whose personalities are vastly different than they were in years past.

I agree the program needs fixing. For six years now fans have been enthusiastic about each incoming class, only to be disappointed with the results. So far, this year is no different.

Thinking of it rationally, any team consistently in the top 20 should be happy. They are is a superior team. It's not realistic to think that any team will stay at the top forever. Perhaps being content with how it is, is the best option.

Maybe you can explain then why a #1 seed is not supposed to go to the Final Four then. Inquiring minds do want to know. You're good enough to get a #1 seed but not good enough to advance out of a regional with lesser seeded teams? Please explain.

Last edited:
Maybe you can explain then why a #1 seed is not supposed to go to the Final Four then. Inquiring minds do want to know. You're good enough to get a #1 seed but not good enough to advance out of a regional with lesser seeded teams? Please explain.
I never said they weren't supposed to get there. You must be puzzled why they play all those games by your logic. Lets just seed the teams and only play the the final four because all number one seeds are supposed to get there. Why not cut to the chase and get it on. Grab another straw. You're drowning.

What a LOSER you are. You made a stupid assertion about the girls' character and won't let it go. :loco: You need to grow up.

Reactions: 3 people
I would like to ask the constantly half-empty (and I could substitute another three letter word for empty) the question. what do they not criticize? Did they find fault with the LV's softball team for not winning the championship last year? Do they find fault with TN's elected congressional delegation? with our rank nationally in education?

An ole saying "if it makes you happy to be unhappy be either happy or unhappy its all the same.

and then the challenge that was given earlier on the thread- spend your money on buying tickets and actually take the time to meet the players. There are tickets available for the Louisville regional. hope to see you there. You will know me because my glass will be full.

VN Store

Back