Meighan named AP POY, 1st Team; Izzy also 1st Team

mtsuraider06

FIRST TEAM
u-Tiffany Mitchell, South Carolina, G, 5-9, So.
Isabelle Harrison, Tennessee, C, 6-3, Jr.
Meighan Simmons, Tennessee, G, 5-9, Sr.
Courtney Walker, Texas A&M, G, 5-8, So.
t-Martha Alwal, Mississippi State, C, 6-4, Jr.
t-Christina Foggie, Vanderbilt, G, 5-9, Sr.
t-Tia Faleru, Mississippi, F, 6-1, Jr.

SECOND TEAM
Theresa Plaisance, LSU, F, 6-5, Sr.
Bri Kulas, Missouri, F, 6-1, Sr.
Aleighsa Welch, South Carollina, F, 6-0, Jr.
Jaterra Bonds, Florida, G, 5-7, Sr.
Tyrese Tanner, Auburn, G-F, 6-1, Sr.

HONORABLE MENTION
Shacobia Barbee, Georgia, G-F, 5-10, So.
Alaina Coates, South Carolina, C, 6-4, Fr.
Jessica Jackson, Arkansas, F, 6-3, Fr.
Valencia McFarland, Mississippi, G, 5-4, Sr.
Jennifer O'Neill, Kentucky, G, 5-6, Jr.
DeNesha Stallworth, Kentucky, F, 6-3, Sr.

PLAYER OF THE YEAR: Meighan Simmons, Tennessee
COACH OF THE YEAR: u-Dawn Staley, South Carolina
NEWCOMER OF THE YEAR: Alaina Coates, South Carolina

LINK

Last edited:
FIRST TEAM
u-Tiffany Mitchell, South Carolina, G, 5-9, So.
Isabelle Harrison, Tennessee, C, 6-3, Jr.
Meighan Simmons, Tennessee, G, 5-9, Sr.
Courtney Walker, Texas A&M, G, 5-8, So.
t-Martha Alwal, Mississippi State, C, 6-4, Jr.
t-Christina Foggie, Vanderbilt, G, 5-9, Sr.
t-Tia Faleru, Mississippi, F, 6-1, Jr.

SECOND TEAM
Theresa Plaisance, LSU, F, 6-5, Sr.
Bri Kulas, Missouri, F, 6-1, Sr.
Aleighsa Welch, South Carollina, F, 6-0, Jr.
Jaterra Bonds, Florida, G, 5-7, Sr.
Tyrese Tanner, Auburn, G-F, 6-1, Sr.

HONORABLE MENTION
Shacobia Barbee, Georgia, G-F, 5-10, So.
Alaina Coates, South Carolina, C, 6-4, Fr.
Jessica Jackson, Arkansas, F, 6-3, Fr.
Valencia McFarland, Mississippi, G, 5-4, Sr.
Jennifer O'Neill, Kentucky, G, 5-6, Jr.
DeNesha Stallworth, Kentucky, F, 6-3, Sr.

PLAYER OF THE YEAR: Meighan Simmons, Tennessee
COACH OF THE YEAR: u-Dawn Staley, South Carolina
NEWCOMER OF THE YEAR: Alaina Coates, South Carolina

LINK

Congrats to Simmons. She is a highly deserving winner. I'm surprised that she wasn't given the same honor by the coaches. Interesting that she was not an unanimous first team selection.

Harrison too is rewarded for her outstanding play throughout the season.

Hmmm...

Tiffany Mitchell won the Coach's SEC POTY award, and was the only unanimous selection to the AP 1st-team, but Simmons wins the POTY??

Simmons had the better per-game scoring average (16.2 vs 15.2 ppg) and the better free-throw average (.810% vs .788%), and that's it.

Mitchell had the:

Better rebounding average: (5.5 vs 2.7 rpg)
Better assist average: (3.5 vs 2.3 apg)
Better steals average: (1.9 vs 1.2 spg)
Better blocked shot average: (0.3 vs 0.06 bpg)
Better FG %: (.508% vs .422%)
Better 3-pt FG %: (.515% vs .359%)
Better turnover/assist ratio: (1.2 vs 0.9)

And even fouled less (56 total fouls, 0 foul-outs vs 61 fouls, 1 foul-out) despite playing more minutes (960 - 31.0 mpg vs 898 - 28.1 mpg).

And generally played the more consistent production throughout the season. But Simmons wins the AP POTY over Mitchell? Only explanation I can see was the AP felt USC was hoarding all the awards this season, but they never had such issues with UT teams doing the same in the past....

Hmmm...

Tiffany Mitchell won the Coach's SEC POTY award, and was the only unanimous selection to the AP 1st-team, but Simmons wins the POTY??

Simmons had the better per-game scoring average (16.2 vs 15.2 ppg) and the better free-throw average (.810% vs .788%), and that's it.

Mitchell had the:

And even fouled less (56 total fouls, 0 foul-outs vs 61 fouls, 1 foul-out) despite playing more minutes (960 - 31.0 mpg vs 898 - 28.1 mpg).

And generally played the more consistent production throughout the season. But Simmons wins the AP POTY over Mitchell? Only explanation I can see was the AP felt USC was hoarding all the awards this season, but they never had such issues with UT teams doing the same in the past....

Simmons won last year (at least coaches) and was pre-season CPOY. While Mitchell was marginally better stats wise, the difference wasn't enough to overtake Meighan.

Simmons was also gangbusters towards the last half of the conference season (tournament notwithstanding), so she was clearly over her slow start to the season.

Reactions: 1 person
Hmmm...

Mitchell had the:

Hmmm....

So you agree that the coaches got it wrong this year?

A similar event happened in 2008 when Candace Parker wasn't named regular season SEC POY; Sylvia Fowles was.

Hmmm....

So you agree that the coaches got it wrong this year?

A similar event happened in 2008 when Candace Parker wasn't named regular season SEC POY; Sylvia Fowles was.

And 2000 when UGA's Kelly Miller was SEC POY, but Tamika Catchings won the Naismith POY award.

Not a bad job for Meighan seeing as how some "fans" here suggest she shouldn't even dress out. :p

And, someone like you to distort what we've been saying. Plus it really is an inaccurate award. Harrison should be player of the year. If Simmons got hurt we still win SEC. If Harrison gets hurt we don't have a chance.

This is a pretty poor job by the AP. Let's see who the coaches pick first and second team. I still think Harrison is on first team coaches and probably Simmons. Don't see how they leave Coates off first team. Alwal should be honorable mention in my opinion. Foggie can knock down threes but that is about all she can do. Would take O'Neil over Foggie any day.

This is a pretty poor job by the AP. Let's see who the coaches pick first and second team. I still think Harrison is on first team coaches and probably Simmons. Don't see how they leave Coates off first team. Alwal should be honorable mention in my opinion.

They already did coaches. They had 10 people on first team. Mitchell POY. Izzy and Simmons were both there. Alaina was second team.

I think the AP list is better because the coaches teams were too big. It was like 20 people!

And, someone like you to distort what we've been saying. Plus it really is an inaccurate award. Harrison should be player of the year. If Simmons got hurt we still win SEC. If Harrison gets hurt we don't have a chance.

Harrison is easily MVP for the LVs this season. Honorable mention to Carter.

Simmons still makes things happen. She's won a lot of games for Tennessee in her four years. I've been on her case for her helter skelter ways, but the truth is she will be missed next year.

Simmons was also gangbusters towards the last half of the conference season (tournament notwithstanding), so she was clearly over her slow start to the season.
So you're saying Simmons should have received the "Player of the Last Few Games" award POLFG? Simmons winning that award was a travesty.

The thread title should be corrected. She's not the AP POY.

Simmons won last year (at least coaches) and was pre-season CPOY. While Mitchell was marginally better stats wise, the difference wasn't enough to overtake Meighan.

Are you saying that last season weighs on what is won this season? If so then it's a total travesty. The truth was that Simmons was marginally better than Mitchell in only 2 categories, but Mitchell was at least marginally better than SImmons in every other category, and in a few of those substantially better (twice the rebounding per gm and nearly twice the steals per game)...

And don't bring up in-conference only stats, please. I was actually doing your Meighan a service by only focusing on overall seasonal stats. It's true that Simmons does a little better in scoring per gm in-conference (17.6 ppg - 4th in SEC - vs 15.9 ppg - 9th in SEC) but while both players flip-flop the 3-pt FG % and FT % leads, if anything Mitchell extends her lead over Simmons:

Rebounding:
Mitchell - 6.4 (16th)
Simmons - NR (not in top 20)

Assists:
Mitchell - 3.4 (11th)
Simmons - NR (not in top 15)

Steals:
Mitchell - 1.8 (7th)

Total FG %:
Mitchell - .509 % (2nd)
Simmons - .462 % (4th)

Free Throw %:
Mitchell - .872 % (4th)

3-Point FG %:
Simmons - .435 % (2nd)
Mitchell - NR (not in top 8)

3-Point FG Made:
Simmons - 2.5 (3rd)
Mitchell - NR (not in top 16)

Assist/Turnover Ratio:
Mitchell - 1.0 (13th)

Defensive Rebounds:
Mitchell - 5.3 (8th - Harrison is 5.9)

SEC Women's Basketball - Conference-Only Statistics

Simmons wins the AP's POTY, but to say that Simmons had even as good of a season of production as Mitchell did is just untrue. Mitchell also led her team to it's first-ever SEC Reg. Season Title and NCAAT #1 seed, while Simmons led her team to what most of you posters in this forum said all season long was a sub-standard season for UT...

:dunno:

Last edited:
I like Simmons, she's a Vol and passionate about the game and she played very well at times this year. But it is also true that she is exceedingly erratic and generally overrated. Harrison is quite obviously our best player because she is consistently solid--something that Simmons is not. I'll leave it at that. We all saw the tournament--not a player of the year performance, to say the least. If the Vols want to beat any of the big dogs, Simmons will have to shoot consistently well--something that she's never really done. There is always a first time...

Are you saying that last season weighs on what is won this season? If so then it's a total travesty.

:dunno:

Like it or not...that's just the way it is.

Generally speaking, the POY awards are pretty much decided before the season starts...assuming the candidate doesn't stink it up. Simmons put up comparable numbers to last year, and that was enough for her to keep her title.

damn some you will be *****ing if she scores 40 points per games and play knock out defense

way to go Simmons,congrats on the honor

Go Lady Vols

So you're saying Simmons should have received the "Player of the Last Few Games" award POLFG? Simmons winning that award was a travesty.

The thread title should be corrected. She's not the AP POY.

AP CPOY. I admit I thought it was joke post at first when I saw the headline.

Simmons winning the award was far from a travesty. She put up comparable numbers to when she won last year, her team came in second, won the conference tournament and beat the #1 team in their H2H and outplayed Mitchell in that game. That's basically the same formula for why the AP gave Mathies the award over Simmons last year.

I have been as frustrated as anyone over Simmons's shot selection. But in all fairness to Simmons, she has not betrayed her coaches or team. She obviously has been afforded the green light to shoot. We saw this portended in the McDonald's AA game a few years ago. She is going to shoot--a lot. She plays within the confines of her allowance. I think Warlick has held her accountable perhaps more than any other coach who has worked with her. Simmons has spent long stints on the bench this season and not just because of foul trouble. Although I've impatiently muttered displeasure of her game at times, an earlier poster is correct: this team will miss her next year at times. There have been teams here who desperately needed a fearless shooter when no one wanted to take the shot. And there was a converted point guard who was reluctant to take on that challenge, but Simmons agreed when needed. And she always plays hard.

And Lurker is just bitterly disgruntled that another Lady Vol gets recognized when The Tennessee program is supposed to be done and disintegrated. How dare us not go away!

Reactions: 2 people
All I have is Congrats, Speedy. You won it. Sour grapes from some, though. Apparently, a sad day from some all knowing "fans".

All I have is Congrats, Speedy. You won it. Sour grapes from some, though. Apparently, a sad day from some all knowing "fans".

She wasn't even the best player on our team. How could she get best player in the conference? Should have been Harrison is all we're saying. No ill will toward Meighan. Just feel she is undeserving of that honor.

that is the definition of ill will Sandvol ,you can't just be glad for her and the Lady Vols getting a player named to this honor ? I mean damn,come on support her

that is the definition of ill will Sandvol ,you can't just be glad for her and the Lady Vols getting a player named to this honor ? I mean damn,come on support her
It's not a knock on Simmons. She didn't give herself the award but she will take heat for it. It's just that it doesn't pass the stat test or the eye test. This is not just a discussion on a Tennessee board. The award is getting lambasted far and wide, so to support the decision here may not be the best tactic for the program. Even the SEC is taking heat with people saying "Is she the best they have in the SEC?" Congratulate her and let it die.

VN Store

Back