I hope the Lady Vols will start looking

Sandvol

at these types of girls. Dunbar probably fits that mold but ND gets a lot of these types who can just knock down 3 after 3.

LEXINGTON, Ky. – Kentucky women’s basketball signee Jaycee Coe was named the Class A Tennessee Miss Basketball for the second straight year, it was announced on Saturday by the Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association.

Coe, a 5-foot-11 guard from Jackson County High School and native of Cookeville, Tenn., is rated the 25th-best shooting guard in the country by ESPN.com. She is averaging 24.2 points, 6.2 rebounds and 2.7 assists per game as a senior for JCHS. She was named the District 7-A most valuable player and was also the District 7-A tournament MVP and charted 27 points, seven rebounds and three blocks during the Lady Blue Devils’ 44-38 loss to Union City in the state championship game.

As a junior, she was named District 7-A Player of the Year, District 7-A Tournament Most Valuable Player, Region 4-A Tournament MVP, Class A Miss Basketball, State Tournament MVP, Herald-Citizen Upper Cumberland Player of the Year, and named to the Tennessee Sports Writers All-State Team. She averaged 17.0 points, 6.0 rebounds and 2.3 steals per game in 2012-13, while shooting 45 percent from the floor, including 31 percent from 3-point range. She already had over 1,500 points prior to her senior season.

Coe chose the Wildcats over Belmont, Georgia, Louisville, Middle Tennessee, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Tennessee Tech and Vanderbilt.

Two things. Her choosing kensucky over UT just shows the young lady wasn't raised right!( most Tennessee girls grow up dreaming of being LV)
Her shot starts below the chin using a lot of elbow, very block able at the college level( eating leather is no fun).

Did we even offer, or offer and she turned it down. Or did she see the LV roster and take herself out of consideration.

I don't see Tennessee in the mix of choices.

I don't think we even offered. And, I'm not necessarily saying we should have offered. But, it seems like Pat used to get a lot more Tennessee girls like a Brittany Jackson who could knock down threes. I hope this girl doesn't come back to haunt us. Louisville, Vanderbilt, and Kentucky offered her. Vanderbilt has some great three point shooters.

Our programs seem to have a talent for signing players that can't shoot the rock, baby ! :search:

I think the women's college game is changing and our recruiting should change with it. As much as I liked Angie Bjorkland's career and watching her play, I remember thinking, "She shoots the three really well, BUT she seems to have trouble creating her shot when they lock on to her".

So, we can't just blindly look for really great three point shooters. We have to have players who can create, play defense, and do other intangibles. There WAS a time when JUST being a great 3 point shooter is enough, but that time has passed. We need more and we may have a player who is a "good" not "great" 3 point shooter, but does all those other things "very good" or "great" and it's worth the trade off.

Reactions: 1 person
She is a good shooter. I give her that. But the rest of her team stunk. And Union City played street ball. No organized plays were ever run that I saw. The level of competition just didn't lead me to believe that we missed out on someone like Britiny Jackson. I say good luck to her at Kentucky. But I don't see her ever breaking the starting five.

I think the women's college game is changing and our recruiting should change with it. As much as I liked Angie Bjorkland's career and watching her play, I remember thinking, "She shoots the three really well, BUT she seems to have trouble creating her shot when they lock on to her".

So, we can't just blindly look for really great three point shooters. We have to have players who can create, play defense, and do other intangibles. There WAS a time when JUST being a great 3 point shooter is enough, but that time has passed. We need more and we may have a player who is a "good" not "great" 3 point shooter, but does all those other things "very good" or "great" and it's worth the trade off.

For whatever reason Pat never used to run a lot of screens. You take somebody like Maybry of ND she can hit the three's from downtown-no screen necessary.

I don't think we even offered. And, I'm not necessarily saying we should have offered. But, it seems like Pat used to get a lot more Tennessee girls like a Brittany Jackson who could knock down threes. I hope this girl doesn't come back to haunt us. Louisville, Vanderbilt, and Kentucky offered her. Vanderbilt has some great three point shooters.

Middleton, POY Tn, and MeMe Jackson next year, 2 of 6, next 2 classes. and Coe is good, but shes not in these 2 girls league.

Middleton, POY Tn, and MeMe Jackson next year, 2 of 6, next 2 classes. and Coe is good, but shes not in these 2 girls league.

The thing I like about Coe is she hustles, she's a 5 11 guard, and she has a quick, pure, stroke. I think she plays a lot more at Kentucky than you expect. But, I like Middleton a lot and wouldn't trade Middleton for her because Middleton probably has better ball skills. All those things I mentioned Dunbar has too I just tend to favor the TN girls if possible.

P.S.-Hard to believe she got 27 of team's 38 points. She essentially was the team. It must have been 5 on 1.

Last edited:
The thing I like about Coe is she hustles, she's a 5 11 guard, and she has a quick, pure, stroke. I think she plays a lot more at Kentucky than you expect. But, I like Middleton a lot and wouldn't trade Middleton for her because Middleton probably has better ball skills. All those things I mentioned Dunbar has too I just tend to favor the TN girls if possible.

P.S.-Hard to believe she got 27 of team's 38 points. She essentially was the team. It must have been 5 on 1.

watched Middleton play(I'm a cheer dad) a lot, she is the most well rounded player I have seen. gotta keep the Rutherford county pipeline going, Blackman is loaded

Jannah Tucker, Alexa Middleton, and Kortney Dunbar are all excellent three point shooters. Tucker can also get to the basket. Nared is not a great three point shooter but she is a super mid-range shooter and take it to the basket type player. With all these guards Holly went out and got Me Me Jackson for the next class a super player. I keep hearing were in the lead for Tea Cooper another super point guard.

So we seem to really be getting in great shape as far as guard and perimeter players. The concern right now is where are the post players. Last year for Izzy coming up. Mercedes a sophomore, Graves a junior, and Moore a junior, Jones a tweener will be a junior and Senior Burdick another tweener. So we need two great post players in the 2015 class.

Post players we are recruiting all seem to be long shots to come here. If we can get some post players in the 2015 class we have the guards already to win a National Championship real soon.

Reactions: 2 people
People forget: Summitt used to love to sign heady shooters--players for the 2 and 3 spots--but the problem was, they were not good enough athletically to play at a top collegiate level. Have we forgotten Spani, Zolman and Bjorklund? They were all excellent shooters if you gave them wide-open looks but had problems in most other aspects of the game because they lacked quickness and athleticism: They were not good defenders, and could not create off the dribble. Shooting alone doesn't cut it anymore; you have to be an athlete can shoot and play good man defense and handle the ball well. You've got to have some serious talent at the guard/swing position if you want to challenge for a title nowadays.

Jannah Tucker, Alexa Middleton, and Kortney Dunbar are all excellent three point shooters. Tucker can also get to the basket. Nared is not a great three point shooter but she is a super mid-range shooter and take it to the basket type player. With all these guards Holly went out and got Me Me Jackson for the next class a super player. I keep hearing were in the lead for Tea Cooper another super point guard.

So we seem to really be getting in great shape as far as guard and perimeter players. The concern right now is where are the post players. Last year for Izzy coming up. Mercedes a sophomore, Graves a junior, and Moore a junior, Jones a tweener will be a junior and Senior Burdick another tweener. So we need two great post players in the 2015 class.

Post players we are recruiting all seem to be long shots to come here. If we can get some post players in the 2015 class we have the guards already to win a National Championship real soon.

Dangerfield from Blackman is #7 player in her class(16), she is really good

Dangerfield from Blackman is #7 player in her class(16), she is really good

2016 is a long way off when the time comes hopefully we'll get her. Until then we will have to endure several more fire Holly threads and how this or that Lady Vol player isn't any good. When the time comes I hope she will be a Lady Vol.

VN Store

Back