We have been better with Carter...

armchair

Seems odd to say, because Massengale is very talented and was shooting and playing well, but Carter is a better defender and plays with a bit more fire and emotion and toughness. Carter is a tough kid, and we need a few more tough players (not to mention a tougher coach). We need Massengale--yet another season where UT has depth issues--but I think she's done for the year. That, too, is strange because she apparently has been cleared to play--and I think was cleared to play a while ago. Warlick said a couple of days ago that "it was up her" as to when she would start playing--a rather soft reaction to the situation that I doubt we'd see from a few other coaches given that the season is coming to an end--no more than, what, 9 games left?

Cool..
24895405_BG1.jpg

CHW was saying in a interview that she was still having headaches,so i think they are playing it safe with her,which is a good thing and i seen a interview where Lockwood was saying she was light headed after a practice,so it is hard to say what is going on

I do have to agree there playing better basketball with Carter at the PG,I am like you,I think it is the better defense,it is like CPS all ways preached,play good Defense and rebound

Reactions: 1 person
Seems odd to say, because Massengale is very talented and was shooting and playing well, but Carter is a better defender and plays with a bit more fire and emotion and toughness. Carter is a tough kid, and we need a few more tough players (not to mention a tougher coach). We need Massengale--yet another season where UT has depth issues--but I think she's done for the year. That, too, is strange because she apparently has been cleared to play--and I think was cleared to play a while ago. Warlick said a couple of days ago that "it was up her" as to when she would start playing--a rather soft reaction to the situation that I doubt we'd see from a few other coaches given that the season is coming to an end--no more than, what, 9 games left?

She has not been cleared to play.

Saying "it was up to her" is taking Holly's statement out of context. The second part of that sentence is "and how her body heals." She's not sitting out because she wants to, Massengale would kill to be back out there.

I think next season you'll see them run a lot of what they had planned on last year before Carter got hurt, which is to have Massengale playing the 2 guard spot with Carter running the point.

Reactions: 3 people
One of the reasons we lost to UK is we did not have Massengale, I wish people would stop saying we don't need her

carter has played well in her absence is ALL that needs saying, imho

We will be a better team having played without Massengale if and when she returns but I agree we definitely need her back. Even if we keep Carter at point and move Massengale to the #2/3, Massengale is one of our best players.

Reactions: 2 people
The Lady Vols are prime for a run. The South Carolina game showed me they have turned the corner! Jordan Reynolds and Andrya Carter are tough birds and only upside. From watching the UConn vs Rutgers games tells me that tandem will be tough to handle in the future and maybe this year! I haven't seen two tougher physical guards than those two. There on there run let's see where it ends up! :good!:

Reactions: 2 people
The LVs are thin in the guard rotation with only three. In a game with many fouls we will be at a disadvantage. Vandy lost to Georgia in part because Foggy got hurt during a crucial time. However as tourney time happens there is usually more physical play and less fouls. NOTE usually.

Massengale turned the ball too much. Carter is much better all round player. I will say a few games Massengale did shoot well

We need Massengale she is a great shooter we need her offense. We must never rush a player back into action after a head injury. She was looking better today on the bench. I think she could possibly be back for the NCAA but if not we will move on like were doing now. Were 11 and 1 with Carter at the point. The one we lost Kentucky made some circus shots our players missed free throws so we lost by four. Carter has defined her role there is no way Holly can take her minutes or her point guard spot away from her. There are still plenty of minutes available for Massengale whenever she gets well enough to play.

We need Massengale she is a great shooter we need her offense. We must never rush a player back into action after a head injury. She was looking better today on the bench. I think she could possibly be back for the NCAA but if not we will move on like were doing now. Were 11 and 1 with Carter at the point. The one we lost Kentucky made some circus shots our players missed free throws so we lost by four. Carter has defined her role there is no way Holly can take her minutes or her point guard spot away from her. There are still plenty of minutes available for Massengale whenever she gets well enough to play.

Actually we need Carter and Reynolds more than Massengale. It would be nice to have her three point shooting but the team is better with Carter and Reynolds at the point.

Carter has a better hand at point guard and it shows in the intensity she brings to the spot. I don't think any less of Massengale though, and I think she's going to be better with those other players shouldering more of the load. Massengale will look fantastic playing as a 2 next to Carter and Reynolds. Free up her mind to focus on things she does particularly well - shoot the ball and dish the ball. I bet her percentages go up next year, actually, but, well, we'll see when we get there.

And then there's Tucker, who if she comes back at even 90% of her old self is another problem for other teams to deal with. Oh yes. I don't feel too bad about the future at all.

But also - it's important to note that the team as a whole is playing better now as well, and some of that is just the experience of playing. I say Carter seems to do better at the PG spot, but it may very well just be that the team's grown and is more capable now. It may have less to do with the switch than I would think. Who knows. I certainly don't. But I know I think they're all vital and all serious players. I want to say Massengale had over 100 assists before she sat down this year. That's huge. And getting that back will be huge.

But also - it's important to note that the team as a whole is playing better now as well, and some of that is just the experience of playing. I say Carter seems to do better at the PG spot, but it may very well just be that the team's grown and is more capable now. It may have less to do with the switch than I would think. Who knows. I certainly don't. But I know I think they're all vital and all serious players. I want to say Massengale had over 100 assists before she sat down this year. That's huge. And getting that back will be huge.

The team has grown because of the play of Carter and Reynolds. They are just an overall better team because of those two. They get the ball to the posts better than Massengale did and that is why the posts' game have improved. Just better fluidity to the offense. Now, if we could just get Simmons to work within that. Also, today Burdick played to her strengths which is rebounds and defense.

For Simmons to be 3/17 from the field and to still win like we did. If Simmons would just play within the team can't imagine how good we could be.

The team has grown because of the play of Carter and Reynolds. They are just an overall better team because of those two. They get the ball to the posts better than Massengale did and that is why the posts' game have improved. Just better fluidity to the offense. Now, if we could just get Simmons to work within that. Also, today Burdick played to her strengths which is rebounds and defense.

I totally agree. We are better when our wings/guards let the offense work inside-out. Our younger guards do this. Burdick did it today and was very effective today just fitting in and doing her work on hustle plays.

Simmons has been on her own island the entire tournament. It's sad that a senior cant see that she is the only one trying to get hers. Graduation will weed this problem out.

I totally agree. We are better when our wings/guards let the offense work inside-out. Our younger guards do this. Burdick did it today and was very effective today just fitting in and doing her work on hustle plays.

Simmons has been on her own island the entire tournament. It's sad that a senior cant see that she is the only one trying to get hers. Graduation will weed this problem out.

I just think it is the younger players getting use to her,does Simmons cause problems at times ? yes,by her shot selection and not running some offense at times
but she is playing some pretty good defense the last half of this year and we all know what can happen when she is on,i just hope Reynolds stays out of foul trouble tomorrow,so CHW can sit Simmons,when it is needed and yes,Simmons is pressing to hard

it sounds like the team needs to make it clear they have Simmons back,so she will relax and let the game come to her,instead of trying to carry the team by herself

I just think it is the younger players getting use to her,does Simmons cause problems at times ? yes,by her shot selection and not running some offense at times
but she is playing some pretty good defense the last half of this year and we all know what can happen when she is on,i just hope Reynolds stays out of foul trouble tomorrow,so CHW can sit Simmons,when it is needed and yes,Simmons is pressing to hard

it sounds like the team needs to make it clear they have Simmons back,so she will relax and let the game come to her,instead of trying to carry the team by herself

I don't know why she thinks she has to do that. Maybe in the past but this team has almost moved by her. When they can win even when she has a really bad game it should be obvious to her. I wonder if they had not played her how much we would have won by. I think 5 more points.

Last edited:
I want to love Simmons because of her passion--but she chokes in big games and the postseason. That's all there is to it. In every big game or tournament game she's been in, I'll bet that in 80 percent of them her shooting has been terrible. She was FINALLY playing smart basketball the last half of this season, her best basketball since she got to UT, and as soon as the postseason starts she reverts to her old ways. Warlick better have a plan for her--because we play a good team and she starts throwing up bricks, we'll get beat unless Warlick puts her on the pine. This is why we need Massengale--but I'm not going to start on that again. frustrating.

I hope Simmons can have a big game tomorrow. She didn't take bad shots today just not falling. She seems to be shooting short. A little more on the shot she makes about six more today. The fact that we can win with her shooting so badly is huge. I think she will come up big for us tomorrow.

she has been hitting the basket on most of the missed shots,for some reason they seem to be rattling out on her

I know Sly,I think she is trying to do everything she can,because she is the lone senior on the team and feels it is on her to lead

this team hasn't moved by her at all Sandvol,she made some critical points late in the game,to seal the deal and played some good defense to fire her teammates up

VN Store

Back