Vols are a turnover machine...

armchair

And have been a turnover machine for years. This is why they can't beat any good teams anymore. UT shot 46 percent today--more than good enough to win most games--but not when you lose possession of the ball 22 rpt. 22 times. Pathetic. Simmons had another of her bad games--poor shooting and 5 turnovers. Burdick was bad--5 turnovers, and Harrison had 5 too.

We also had only 1 three-point shot. It is very hard to beat good teams with only 1 trey. Bad loss.

Reactions: 1 person
Yep same ole turnover machine that has plagued this season. I don't think these players can correct it. They just keep making the same bad passes game after game I don't see that changing. If you can't get it right in 25 games I don't think four more regular season games will matter much. We will win most in spite of turnovers. It is when you come up against a talented team that turnovers matter the most.

They need to get back to Carter and Reynolds running the offense. When you have Simmons, Burdick, and the posts dribbling the ball a lot we're going to have turnovers. And, that is exactly what Mitchell forced. Good coaching.

You know where we are ranked in turnover margin? 212th in the NCAA. This is the hallmark of a stupid and lazy team with poor fundamentals. We are -0.75 per game in turnover margin and UConn is +6.64, while KY is +5.79. Give us 6-7 more possessions and we win games like this one easily. Yet year after year we churn out turnovers like we are the frickin' Pillsbury Doughboy.

I think it is about time to have them run a mile in practice for every turnover they commit. Whatever we are doing to teach our girls to value the ball isn't working. We need to find out how other teams drill their players and implement that here. It is hard to believe we could be doing something that much differently than other programs but apparently we are because our results are so damned awful.

Just as an example. Simmon's last turnover should have been a bounce pass. That is just basic fundamentals in that situation. On Harrison's last turnover you don't turn into the defensive player with the ball at your waist or chest. These things can be fixed and should be nailed down early on in a player's career. I have to think Simmons could be a really good passer at this point in her career if someone had ever taken the time to work with her and expected it from her.

Reactions: 3 people
This is what Mitchell said re: turnovers.....
"We just haven't been able to full court press this year the way we would like to. The last couple of weeks, we have tried to become the most vicious half court man-to-man defense that we cane be. I thought we did that today. Those 22 turnovers are forced with zero full court press. We were very tough, and I thought we did a good job offensively. If you let Tennessee operate in their comfort zone, they are going to kill you because we just don't have the size to match up with them, but we do have the speed and the defensive ability. You have to speed it up and make it a little chaotic."

It's true TOS were a problem, but just as glaring UK hit 5 three UT hit 1 three. UK bench had 33 points, UT bench 10 points. I wonder if not having Massengale available limits our options?

It's true TOS were a problem, but just as glaring UK hit 5 three UT hit 1 three. UK bench had 33 points, UT bench 10 points. I wonder if not having Massengale available limits our options?

We shoot a very good percentage from three but just didn't take any today for some reason.

And yeah, we only have two guards with a decent handle in Simmons and Carter. Burdick, Jones etc... are poor ball handlers and Reynolds is just meh... Burdick and Jones both turn the ball over a lot against teams with good guards and have trouble with the smaller, quicker defenders. KY is tailor made to give us trouble.

That is why I thought Tucker was critical for us this year and why missing on Davis and DeShields was so big. We have to start winning some recruiting battles if we want to win. Players with huge holes in their games will get you beaten.

We shoot a very good percentage from three but just didn't take any today for some reason.

And yeah, we only have two guards with a decent handle in Simmons and Carter. Burdick, Jones etc... are poor ball handlers and Reynolds is just meh... Burdick and Jones both turn the ball over a lot against teams with good guards and have trouble with the smaller, quicker defenders. KY is tailor made to give us trouble.

That is why I thought Tucker was critical for us this year and why missing on Davis and DeShields was so big. We have to start winning some recruiting battles if we want to win. Players with huge holes in their games will get you beaten.

Let's see. Carter had 1 turnover every 11 minutes of play. Reynolds had one turnover every 9.5 minutes of play. Simmons had 1 turnover every 7 minutes of play.

Burdick, Harrison and Simmons are always the top three turnover machines. Those three had 15 of our 22 turnovers.

Also, on shots, Simmons was 4-13, Harrison 8-18, and Burdick 2-6. All around bad game from those 3. Harrison also 4-8 on free throws.

Kentucky's two best Stallworth and O'Niell were 8-14 and 8-16 shooting respectively.

Last edited:
Turnovers are often related to slow ball movement and indecision, as well as just bad decisions. If you are moving the ball around crisply, you tend to have fewer turnovers. But the Vols have long had this habit of starting a play and then when options 1 and 2 are defended, players stand around unsure of what to do. We've been a bad passing team for ages--major issue under PS--and it hasn't got much better.

Simmons had been playing better--but she reverted to the Simmons we've seen for most of three+ years today: 5 turnovers and a bad shooting percentage.

It would be nice to get some sense of what is going on with Massengale, or when she might return--but colleges have adopted this bizarre practice of not releasing information, related to Hipa or somesuch, and it is positively stupid. I can see withholding information if a player is having a medical issue of a sensitive nature--emotional issues or somesuch, but all this apparent secrecy about conventional injuries is idiotic. What exactly the issue is with saying: Well, Mathilda broke her arm and will out for eight weeks, it's hard to know.

Turnovers are often related to slow ball movement and indecision, as well as just bad decisions. If you are moving the ball around crisply, you tend to have fewer turnovers. But the Vols have long had this habit of starting a play and then when options 1 and 2 are defended, players stand around unsure of what to do. We've been a bad passing team for ages--major issue under PS--and it hasn't got much better.

Simmons had been playing better--but she reverted to the Simmons we've seen for most of three+ years today: 5 turnovers and a bad shooting percentage.

It would be nice to get some sense of what is going on with Massengale, or when she might return--but colleges have adopted this bizarre practice of not releasing information, related to Hipa or somesuch, and it is positively stupid. I can see withholding information if a player is having a medical issue of a sensitive nature--emotional issues or somesuch, but all this apparent secrecy about conventional injuries is idiotic. What exactly the issue is with saying: Well, Mathilda broke her arm and will out for eight weeks, it's hard to know.

If I had to guess she probably has a facial fracture. Those typically take 3-4 weeks to heal to the point the medical staff will release. Holly can't do anything about it until medical releases her.

BTW, did anyone hear what they said at the start of the game about the injury? I thought I heard something about the lights and motion bothering her which would indicate a concussion. But I turned it on in the middle of what they were talking about my attention was split between the tv and something my wife was saying.

BTW, did anyone hear what they said at the start of the game about the injury? I thought I heard something about the lights and motion bothering her which would indicate a concussion. But I turned it on in the middle of what they were talking about my attention was split between the tv and something my wife was saying.

I didn't catch it either but have been wondering if a concussion was part of the injury.

They did say that Ariel tried to stay on the bench and watch before the Vandy game started but was bothered by the lights and the crowd and had to watch the game from the locker room. They even started talking about Ariel having previous concussions but did not really elaborate fully. From what they were saying before the game, it sounds like a concussion but there could be a fracture or something else on top of that as well.

yea i heard something similar about a ringing in her ear or something like that and the noise was bothering her so she didn't sit on the bench and instead sat in the locker room to watch the game so it's possible that she did have a concussion.

It's not a bizarre policy, Armchair. It's the law.

Its the law, yet we know exactly and specifically what the injured uconn players were out for. Heck we even know kml for uconn is out with mono for six weeks. Maybe you need to go over and sign up with the kool aid drinkers at the summitt. The fans pay exoborent amounts of money for season tickets, yet the holly regime would like to keep everything a secret. What we get is poor coaching in return. It may be the law, but they could let the fans know whats going on..

Its the law, yet we know exactly and specifically what the injured uconn players were out for. Heck we even know kml for uconn is out with mono for six weeks. Maybe you need to go over and sign up with the kool aid drinkers at the summitt. The fans pay exoborent amounts of money for season tickets, yet the holly regime would like to keep everything a secret. What we get is poor coaching in return. It may be the law, but they could let the fans know whats going on..

Well, since it is a Federal Law, there may not be anything anyone at UT can do about it. If Massengale doesn't want the info released, it can not be released.

Reactions: 2 people

UConn's players signed a release to have their injury status put out there.

Massengale did not sign the document because she doesn't want to details of her medical issues out there. That's not a UT deal, that's what the player wants and, by law, UT has to respect it.

To me, the fact that so many people want to be up in other people's personal matters is bizarre. That's just me. I do understand what you're saying though.

Well, if your "business" is done in front of thousands of screaming fans in an arena, and tens of thousands more on TV then it is hardly a "personal matter" by any rational standard. It is not like VD you pick up from unknowingly dating a Vandy student.

Fans see you with the cast on your leg and saw you get your leg injured so the only thing you are keeping private is whether it is an ACL, break etc... There is nothing even remotely "bizarre" about fans wanting to know about the nature of the injury. In fact it would be bizarre if they didn't, and pretty indicative that they feel the team to be better off without the player. I think it is extremely bizarre that you don't wish to know what is wrong with Massengale and when she is likely to be back. It seems pretty uncaring and cruel of you IMO. That is not how humans act.

Pro teams sign forms to release injury information so it should be standard in all sports to work around the idiots who wrote the law. Almost all laws require paperwork to get around them since they are written for the benefit of lawyers.

Deerpark said Massengale did not sign such a form so I assume they are available and she somehow thinks we won't realize she has a head injury when she went out for being hit in the head. That is just silly and counterproductive because it invites all sorts of speculation as to why she is really out since the mundane reasons aren't worth hiding. Someone here even thought she had quit the team. It is human nature to speculate over odd behavior and keeping an injury mysterious in a situation like this is really odd behavior. Naturally people will wonder what the real reason for her absence is.

There is no possible upside to her to hide that information. We already know she has a head injury. It relates to her ability to perform her role for the team and it happened during the course of play. We will be fine without it knowing the details, but it is just another example of how unprofessional our whole program is right now with the attitudes of the people who are participating in it.

BTW, it is obvious that the announcers know what her injury is, and I am sure no release was signed for them to have that information. They were given enough of the symptoms to know it was a concussion at a minimum. So it isn't like they are really adhering to the rule with any consistency even as it is. It is just really unprofessional conduct no matter how you look at it. They can't selectively give out health info like that.

Coming into the season I thought Hubbs would have been a major impact on our team, we all thought that them 5 some time turn in to 3 stars plus JM would have been a lot better than he has.

Deerpark said Massengale did not sign such a form so I assume they are available and she somehow thinks we won't realize she has a head injury when she went out for being hit in the head. That is just silly and counterproductive because it invites all sorts of speculation as to why she is really out since the mundane reasons aren't worth hiding. Someone here even thought she had quit the team. It is human nature to speculate over odd behavior and keeping an injury mysterious in a situation like this is really odd behavior. Naturally people will wonder what the real reason for her absence is.

There is no possible upside to her to hide that information. We already know she has a head injury. It relates to her ability to perform her role for the team and it happened during the course of play. We will be fine without it knowing the details, but it is just another example of how unprofessional our whole program is right now with the attitudes of the people who are participating in it.

How is it "unprofessional" to not want your personal medical information put out in a press release?

She doesn't want it out there. That's her choice and it's her legal right. I can't understand why is is so important for you to know the private details of someone's medical history.

What do you want UT to do? Force her to turn over information that she considers private? I personally would have a MUCH larger issue with UT forcing her to do that than I ever would for a player to keep it private.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back