Holly Warlick quote

VolDango

This says it all about Warlick as the Lady Vols head basketball coach. Quote is after last night's 12 point win over sub-.500 Ole Miss, which was even closer than the score indicates:

"We relax. We just think the game is over and let's all do our thing," Warlick said. "I don't have an answer. The kids were here before me."

It's sad seeing a once dominant program being ran by someone with no answers. Kids that aren't playing motivated are a direct reflection of the people that are supposed to motivate them... Coaches. UCONN does not have this problem. Both teams are chalked with McDonalds All Americans. It's just a difference in how hard they are coached. Pat understood that during her prime. Holly has no clue how to do it. She's watched Pat do it for 30+ years, but no one is Pat Summit. Geno will rattle off several more championships before he's finished. He gets All Americans too, but forces them to play hard for 40 minutes, every game. I'm going to hate seeing UCONN pass UT in overall championships --- likely in a couple months.

Reactions: 6 people
just more Geno fans,it seems we are getting an influx of them lately,beats me as to why ,of course i guess they don't have a kick ass board like VolNation to hang out on

Frankly she is in over her head. When you state these kids were here before me that burns me up. She sure as hell was there as an assistant coach so that excuse just doesn't fly.

Reactions: 8 people
Another disgruntled "fire everybody" when we lose. This one is when we won by 12 on the road. Go figure.

There will never be another Pat Summitt. How many coaches out there who would replace Holly are like Geno? How many good coaches would take the job if Holly got fired after her second year and probably will go to the dance both seasons?

This thread is just dumb beyond belief. Big on throwing a hissy fit. Short on any logical thought or solutions.

Reactions: 2 people
You don't have to lose ball games to be out coached. And it is obvious that CHW is out coached in almost every game we play. We win because we have a ton of talent (5* players, All-Americans, #1 recruits). Ole Miss has only 1 SEC win all year and we could have easily lost to them. There was a time when this game would have been over by halftime. Same thing with the Alabama game. Christy Curry out coached CHW by a mile. It just so happened that we had far superior athletes and more size than they did. But it is obvious that these schools are quickly closing the gap on Tennessee. And yes, some of it is because there are more and more quality players, but a lot of it is because we do not have a coach that is ready to be a head coach at this level.

Reactions: 3 people
You don't have to lose ball games to be out coached. And it is obvious that CHW is out coached in almost every game we play. We win because we have a ton of talent (5* players, All-Americans, #1 recruits). Ole Miss has only 1 SEC win all year and we could have easily lost to them. There was a time when this game would have been over by halftime. Same thing with the Alabama game. Christy Curry out coached CHW by a mile. It just so happened that we had far superior athletes and more size than they did. But it is obvious that these schools are quickly closing the gap on Tennessee. And yes, some of it is because there are more and more quality players, but a lot of it is because we do not have a coach that is ready to be a head coach at this level.

Truth

Reactions: 3 people
the quote is right at the 4:24 mark

Holly Warlick Ole Miss Postgame (2/6/14) - YouTube

looks like she is pissed off at them to me

She's the coach. Acting mad doesn't fix it. Actions speak louder. She's 80% of the way through her 3rd year as head coach (year one was really Pats last year because Holly was given the reigns). I personally don't think she's self confident enough. It seems she buddies up to players more behind the scenes. It's like a parent trying to be their kid's friend instead of their mom.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm willing to give Holly more time (not that they've asked me ) , but the "I don't have an answer" was not a smart think to say . Heck if she doesn't have one I would suggest she gets on e quickly . Should have never said that , or that he players were here before me .

I really warming up to Warlick as our coach. She has the players doing the right thing for the most part. I was really excited as to how Simmons is now taking the ball to the basket more than ever since she has been at Tennessee. She didn't take any bad shots last night always someone there to rebound. The one thing they need to improve at is passing the ball. It is not that the passing is bad, but decisions to pass are bad. No reason to throw the ball to a post if she is double teamed they are just gonna get a hand in there and knock it loose. The better idea would be to take the open shot or if you want to get the post the ball drive it draw the defense then pass the ball. It wasn't the best we can play but we won by 12 no reason to be upset.
As long as I keep putting that photo up we can't lose anyway we'll win the rest o f the games no doubt. :dance::)

Last edited:
Here is what I think about the team need another consistent three point shooter Jannah Tucker, Alexa Middleton, and Kortney Dunbar would do nicely. When those players get here that double team in the post want mean much because 40 percent from the three is the same as 60 percent of two's and these three girls can knock them down.

Here is what I think about the team need another consistent three point shooter Jannah Tucker, Alexa Middleton, and Kortney Dunbar would do nicely. When those players get here that double team in the post want mean much because 40 percent from the three is the same as 60 percent of two's and these three girls can knock them down.

Agree with your assessment. As long as the Lady Vols do not have a consistent 3-point threat on the floor, other teams neutralize the LV's tall interior players by sagging in their zones. Same thing is happening with the men's team, which needs to recruit another consistent outside shooter like Lofton was.

I posted in another thread that I see similarities in the pathes that UNC and UT have taken after 2 legends left. Both handpicked successors- Dean picked Coach Guthridge and Coach Summitt picked Warlick. An outsider to the Carolina program could argue that Gut was moving the program forward- 2 Final 4s in 3 yrs, an ACC regular and tournament championship. BUT... he also lost in the first round of the NCAA tourny for the first time in Carolina's history. He retired after the third year because he understood it is damn difficult to follow a legend. The next hire was Matt Doherty, a coach from Dean's tree and a complete disaster.

Now UT- Coach Warlick is Coach Summitt's handpicked successor and doing OK. IMO, she does not have the coaching temperament, IQ, or recruiting skills to move UT forward. Yes, she can get the team to the NCAA tournament, elite 8s and possibly a Final 4 but she will not win it all against decidedly better coaches/recruiters/motivators, again my opinion. Look at the other great legacy coaches- Wooden, Bear Bryant, Neyland, Smith- every coach that immediately followed was not "that" coach.

Whether within the Summitt tree or outside, Coach Warlick is that person who is not going to live up to the fan's expectations because of her predecessor but one who is necessary to fill that void between one legend and the next great thing.

My humble opinion.

First, a boarder quoted Holly was the quote accurate, possibly taken out of context?

Two did you verify what she said yourself? If 1 and 2 are yes then you can comment on the quote.

Three - did you hear first a player and second the coach talk about illness of a player? I did but check it out for yourself.

Fourth - We also know that the "mother" starting point guard, vocal leader is not practicing and not able to even travel with the team.

We the boarders know, the coaches know and the players know that the team has not played up to his ability. This year and frankly for the last X if you define success as getting to the final four we (coaches/players/fans have had similar frustration.

VN Store

Back