UT Rallies For 40th Consecutive Win Vs. Bama

VN News

No. 10 Tennessee rallied from down by as many as 15 points to beat Alabama for the 40th consecutive time, 64-54, on Sunday at Foster Auditorium.

More...

Excellent game to persevere after the cold shooting in the first half. There was no quit in this team tonight.

Reactions: 1 person
I thought about getting my grill out to cook & eat crow at halftime when we were down by 8. Great come back & a great win on the road to a pesky red team.

Last edited:
Carter is a player - a freshman - Her stats both offensive and defensive are outstanding and she may be the best slasher while also having the highest percentage of 3-point shots made.

Someone commented on Graves possibly being under the weather the previous game. She as IMO sluggish against Ala and at times covered with sweat.

The fact the ladies were down by 15 at any pt to this team speaks volumes

This team that beat Kentucky on the road and Georgia and had a home game against us? I'd say the fact we won the game by 10 speaks much more volume.

Grade a team by the entirety of a game, not just selective tidbits.

Reactions: 3 people
The fact the ladies were down by 15 at any pt to this team speaks volumes

Yes did win and it was a win we needed, But we can not continue to play this way against non ranked team or start out slow. Burdick has started to show some flashes the last to games and that`s what we need. Getting Massengale back will help. I also think Holly needs to try and strengthened the bench. We can win the SEC tournament, but when it`s comes NCAA tournament time that`s when we might a problem.

Yes did win and it was a win we needed, But we can not continue to play this way against non ranked team or start out slow. Burdick has started to show some flashes the last to games and that`s what we need. Getting Massengale back will help. I also think Holly needs to try and strengthened the bench. We can win the SEC tournament, but when it`s comes NCAA tournament time that`s when we might a problem.

I think all of us know that, the way we've been playing lately, that if we get in a deep hole while playing from behind to teams as South Carolina Kentucky or LSU we will be humiliated to a very bad extent. If we even take another team for granted after whipping them 39 straight times & fall behind like yesterday we will be in trouble trying to make a run to dig out from a points hole. TN LVs need to start out fast & strong & keep their foot down on the pedal & stop w/the turnovers & missing those easy layups. Payback for some of these teams are at an all time high & if they have a chance to embarrass us for all the times we've had our foot on their necks for years they will pour it on & will show no mercy. I really can't blame them. Opponents circle the LVs each year as the team to beat because we have been so dominate in the SEC.

Reactions: 2 people
I think all of us know that, the way we've been playing lately, that if we get in a deep hole while playing from behind to teams as South Carolina Kentucky or LSU we will be humiliated to a very bad extent. If we even take another team for granted after whipping them 39 straight times & fall behind like yesterday we will be in trouble trying to make a run to dig out from a points hole. TN LVs need to start out fast & strong & keep their foot down on the pedal & stop w/the turnovers & missing those easy layups. Payback for some of these teams are at an all time high & if they have a chance to embarrass us for all the times we've had our foot on their necks for years they will pour it on & will show no mercy. I really can't blame them. Opponents circle the LVs each year as the team to beat because we have been so dominate in the SEC.

I totally agree! I don't understand why they can't just play for a full 40 mins! It's quite frustrating. With that said though I was very impressed with Burdick's play and glad she is starting to get out of her funk and play to her full potential. If she can continue playing like this and all of the other LV's start playing with the fight I know they have we will be very hard to beat come March and the SEC tournament. I felt like Burdick was the missing piece we needed against Notre Dame.

I thought about getting my grill out to cook & eat crow at halftime when we were down by 8. Great come back & a great win on the road to a pesky red team.

I hope you found an elephant and shoved that crow up it's snout :)

another slow start,but they were with out Simmons and Massengale for the first half,which seemed to hurt them,they looked better in the 2nd half when Simmons was back,they couldn't clog up the paint and it showed up

I hope you found an elephant and shoved that crow up it's snout :)

another slow start,but they were with out Simmons and Massengale for the first half,which seemed to hurt them,they looked better in the 2nd half when Simmons was back,they couldn't clog up the paint and it showed up

I listened to Mickey on the internet feed as I was not able to see the live action. So last night, when the Super Bowl was such a blowout & nothing else on TV, I watched the replay on the computer at watchespn. I was really glad those 3 shots for Bama falling in the 1st half were not falling for them in the 2nd. Plus, the defense for TN was a bit better too. I guess we will be a second half team this year because we seem to not be able to jump out in front & stay there with a good lead for very long. We tend to turn the ball over way too much this year & it's just killing us to keep making comebacks game after game.

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong as I was driving and only able to listen to most of the 2nd half on the radio and then the post game interviews, but based on that and the comments here, it sounded like Alabama played literally their best half of basketball all season against us in the first half. As I've said a couple of times already, this is a team that has beat Kentucky in Kentucky and beat Georgia. So, if a team like that plays their best half of basketball, is there any shame in being down and then making the adjustment at half time to get a double digit win? I mean, there's a reason it's a 40 minute game and not a 20 minute one.

I just don't get all the negativity. If this were against a traditional 3-5 win team Alabama who was also win less in the SEC AND they were playing that brand of basketball against us (turning the ball over 10 times, shooting 20%, and so on) AND WE WERE STILL DOWN 15, then I could maybe echo similar concerns. But, teams get hot all the time and beat teams they shouldn't (see Louisville vs Baylor Last year) (see TAM vs Baylor three years ago) ... so it doesn't surprise me at all that this Alabama team put together a pretty good 1st half of basketball. It's even easier to do so IMO when you're in the midst of a 39 game losing streak against a team. You can play as LOOSE as you want because you have nothing to lose. That's one of the reasons teams give us their best game. They have no expectations or pressure to win. It's a stress free freeroll. They lose. They were supposed to lose. They win. They get lauded.

The focus should be more on the fact that we wore them down so it was only 20 minutes of being instead of 40 minutes AND we got hot ourselves and we got a double digit win.

Last edited:
I listened to Mickey on the internet feed as I was not able to see the live action. So last night, when the Super Bowl was such a blowout & nothing else on TV, I watched the replay on the computer at watchespn. I was really glad those 3 shots for Bama falling in the 1st half were not falling for them in the 2nd. Plus, the defense for TN was a bit better too. I guess we will be a second half team this year because we seem to not be able to jump out in front & stay there with a good lead for very long. We tend to turn the ball over way too much this year & it's just killing us to keep making comebacks game after game.

i like listening to Mickey he is a good play by play guy

I'm very glad the Lady Vols won. The SEC seems to be a monster this year.

That being said, I think most of us could agree that Alabama doesn't have half the talent that UT does. So what is going on?

Is it the coach, is it the players, is it a little of both? I don't know. Something just seems off. They just seem disjointed and look down right confused at times.

I did (do) have high expectations for this team. Evidently they did too at the beginning of the year, or they wouldn't have trotted out this Grind For 9 stuff. Although I don't hear much about that any more.

It is not too late, but this was not the team I was expecting to see this year.

I'm very glad the Lady Vols won. The SEC seems to be a monster this year.

That being said, I think most of us could agree that Alabama doesn't have half the talent that UT does. So what is going on?

Is it the coach, is it the players, is it a little of both? I don't know. Something just seems off. They just seem disjointed and look down right confused at times.

I did (do) have high expectations for this team. Evidently they did too at the beginning of the year, or they wouldn't have trotted out this Grind For 9 stuff. Although I don't hear much about that any more.

It is not too late, but this was not the team I was expecting to see this year.

I'm disappointed in Simmons play this year. I don't know if the expectations of her were too much for her to handle? Being a senior & having the experience of playing many minutes & in so many games throughout her 4 years I'd figured she would be under more control of her play than what she has showed us this year. I don't want to write a book here but y'all know what I'm trying to say. For the remainder of the season at hand, I hope Meighan comes out & plays more like a pro & more in control.

i do have to agree that Simmons hasn't lived up to the expectations that have been put on her as the lone senior this year and Burdick too,i think that Burdick was trying to hard and it has showed and Simmons is starting to relax a little and has been playing better the last couple of games,which is good for them and the team

i do like the improvements that them and others are starting to show,does the team over all need to improve ? i would say hell yes,but they are showing signs of being team players at the right time,hopefully they keep it up for the rest of the year and not go back to playing like they were

Correct me if I'm wrong as I was driving and only able to listen to most of the 2nd half on the radio and then the post game interviews, but based on that and the comments here, it sounded like Alabama played literally their best half of basketball all season against us in the first half. As I've said a couple of times already, this is a team that has beat Kentucky in Kentucky and beat Georgia. So, if a team like that plays their best half of basketball, is there any shame in being down and then making the adjustment at half time to get a double digit win? I mean, there's a reason it's a 40 minute game and not a 20 minute one.

I just don't get all the negativity. If this were against a traditional 3-5 win team Alabama who was also win less in the SEC AND they were playing that brand of basketball against us (turning the ball over 10 times, shooting 20%, and so on) AND WE WERE STILL DOWN 15, then I could maybe echo similar concerns. But, teams get hot all the time and beat teams they shouldn't (see Louisville vs Baylor Last year) (see TAM vs Baylor three years ago) ... so it doesn't surprise me at all that this Alabama team put together a pretty good 1st half of basketball. It's even easier to do so IMO when you're in the midst of a 39 game losing streak against a team. You can play as LOOSE as you want because you have nothing to lose. That's one of the reasons teams give us their best game. They have no expectations or pressure to win. It's a stress free freeroll. They lose. They were supposed to lose. They win. They get lauded.

The focus should be more on the fact that we wore them down so it was only 20 minutes of being instead of 40 minutes AND we got hot ourselves and we got a double digit win.
First, Kentucky and Georgia are not good teams. They have the same record as Alabama. They didn't have a great first half so much as TN had a terrible first half.

If you had seen the game, you might have realized Alabama played like a high school team. TN wasn't much better. If you compared the TN/AL game to the Miami - North Carolina game the difference was astounding. And NC doesn't play as a team.

Your rationality of teams playing lose against TN makes no sense. Other teams are doing better against TN because TN is playing lousy. Just be thankful the LVs aren't playing good teams right now. They do have the ability as individuals to play well, but so far their potential hasn't shown up. That's what's bothering so many fans.

For awhile, Bama was shooting 70% and getting most of the rebounds. LV's were ice cold much of the first half.

Reactions: 2 people
the not playing as a whole team is what is bothering me Convoluted,but they seem to be coming out of that and then Massengale gets injured

Bama did clog up the paint while Simmons was out and it was working,till she got back in the line up,and she did make some pretty good passes inside,the lack of consistent 3pt shooting has been hurting them all year long,and probably will the rest

unless Carter starts taking a few more,i think she is good,but doesn't take many shots and Simmons and Massengale play well too,i don't know what to think of Jones play on offense,she is one that i think can play better,but she rarely shows it on offense

Reynolds seems to be streaky,of course she doesn't usually play a whole lot,if Cierra can keep playing like she has the last week or so,that will help greatly,she is finally starting to look like last years player,just like Graves is

Izzy is the one I am really pissed at,if she will stay out of early foul trouble,the team will be a hell of a lot better,there play goes all to hell with out her in the lineup and Russell,well Russell does look like a freshmen,she is getting a lot of playing time with Izzy in foul trouble all the time,I do wonder if she isn't being more aggressive,because she knows Izzy is in foul trouble?

well after reading back thru my post,did i miss anybody in my rant ? lol

VN Store

Back