It seems like the last few years the Lady

Sandvol

VOLS have been lacking in certain areas. This year and the last couple it seems they have been deficient with three point shooters. With next years' group coming in and Tucker getting healthy they should have a full complement of every type of player they need on a team from post players, to wings (penetrate and shoot threes), to shooting guards (penetrate and shoot threes), and point (penetrate and shoot threes). They will have the athletic defenders, shot blockers and distributors. Also, Holly will have three years of her recruits. There will be no excuse not to compete for a championship. I would be for a new direction if after next year we're not in a final four. We might make it this year but I think the three's or lack of are going to kill us.

Um, couple things here.

1. All of these young women are Holly's players. She didn't come in last year from another team. She's been with Pat over 25 years. To assume she wasn't part of the recruitment of all the players on the team is laughable.

2. If we don't make the Final Four next year you think we should can her? So making it to the Elite 8 or Sweet 16 just aint good enough? That'll bode really well when we go to hire another coach after Holly is gone. "Hey coach, just so you know, we canned that Holly chick after she had been with UT over 30 years of her life cuz she didn't make the Final Four last year. Don't think you'll be any different if we don't have a national championship ring within the next two years."

I'm not a huge, crazy Holly fan, but I do try to be realilstic. If UT fired Holly next year because she didn't make it deep enough in the tournament every coach worth a crap would give UT the middle finger.

Trying to set and enforce these kinds of expectations is ridiculous. While many still are reserving judgment on Hart's ability to be an effective AD, I'm pretty happy he has the title and not you. Have we learned nothing from our self-imposed coaching carousel of the last 5 years?

Reactions: 4 people
VOLS have been lacking in certain areas. This year and the last couple it seems they have been deficient with three point shooters. With next years' group coming in and Tucker getting healthy they should have a full complement of every type of player they need on a team from post players, to wings (penetrate and shoot threes), to shooting guards (penetrate and shoot threes), and point (penetrate and shoot threes). They will have the athletic defenders, shot blockers and distributors. Also, Holly will have three years of her recruits. There will be no excuse not to compete for a championship. I would be for a new direction if after next year we're not in a final four. We might make it this year but I think the three's or lack of are going to kill us.

You have to be kidding. Right?

It was only one game but Carter at point guard made everybody better. Settled the entire team down in to much better decisions and play. I don't know where we go from here but only 10 turnovers is where you want to be going forward it was worth about 10 points today.

Reactions: 1 person
Um, couple things here.

1. All of these young women are Holly's players. She didn't come in last year from another team. She's been with Pat over 25 years. To assume she wasn't part of the recruitment of all the players on the team is laughable.

2. If we don't make the Final Four next year you think we should can her? So making it to the Elite 8 or Sweet 16 just aint good enough? That'll bode really well when we go to hire another coach after Holly is gone. "Hey coach, just so you know, we canned that Holly chick after she had been with UT over 30 years of her life cuz she didn't make the Final Four last year. Don't think you'll be any different if we don't have a national championship ring within the next two years."

I'm not a huge, crazy Holly fan, but I do try to be realilstic. If UT fired Holly next year because she didn't make it deep enough in the tournament every coach worth a crap would give UT the middle finger.

Trying to set and enforce these kinds of expectations is ridiculous. While many still are reserving judgment on Hart's ability to be an effective AD, I'm pretty happy he has the title and not you. Have we learned nothing from our self-imposed coaching carousel of the last 5 years?

You don't think we'll have final four talent? So with our tradition we should just start settling for Sweet 16? Doesn't make sense.

P.S.-I'm not convinced Holly can't bring us back to where we should be but I don't want this thing to drag.

Last edited:
I am an ole guy who went to three universities: Cincinnati, Duke and Indiana and I have followed the LVs since way before their first Championship so this team does not have to win it for me - the fan. From watching and listening and reading blogs I don't understand what is preventing this team from having the destroy swagger instinct that is so clear from watching Conn. Good chemistry - I read, not selfish - I read, play harder in practice than in games - I read. Last year they the lost to Chattanooga and the ending game against Louisville - demonstrated they lacked that extra something.

The Vandy loss had being out coached as a component - although a few missed layups that resulted in four point turnarounds near the end .. LSU - coaches responsibility to ensure that they were ready (or lack of team leadership to accomplish same) and the Notre Dame game was too close to the Vandy loss and leadership/coaching was lacking when the momentum changed so dramatically. We read about we're having fun on the floor, and I've always wondered if that statement is the same as "taking care of business" or going for the throat from the opening tip."

Great win today and the game and a half demonstrated that the team does have a second point guard that provides a difference presence on the floor

Reactions: 2 people
You don't think we'll have final four talent? So with our tradition we should just start settling for Sweet 16? Doesn't make sense.

P.S.-I'm not convinced Holly can't bring us back to where we should be but I don't want this thing to drag.

Lose or play badly in one game and there is always somebody more brilliant than anyone one else yelling "fire the coach". That is the only solution that some have the capacity to think about. These are the same people who believe the back up QB who have never played is an All American. These are the same people who believe there is a savior out there waiting to be hired to a program and be fired at the whim of a nutty fan base. I'm glad that Hart is the one who makes the decisions instead of a few :crazy: "fans".

The Lady Vols are the one thing we should demand doesn't slip. And, I believe Holly deserves a chance since they hired her. But, next year, with all the experience and depth we should be outstanding. And, we have to give Holly a little bit of time to learn to be a head coach but not too much time. By the end of this year her probation period should be over. That was an awful coaching job against ND. She let the team get away from what they had been doing and she didn't do anything about it. They've been coached badly in three of their four losses, not one.

Last edited:
We just dismantled a Texas A&M team that was undefeated - UNDEFEATED in SEC play and all anyone wants to talk about is firing Holly or the awful coaching job against ND.

Agree I want to see the teams of 96, 97, and 98 destroy anyone and everyone but these are not those days ---- still about 98% of the country would love to have our team. Great job today ladies (and CHW).

Reactions: 2 people
In my opinion, women's basketball has evolved to the point where having superb 3 point shooting isn't necessary. I do think solid defense, an efficient offense that values possession, and a good inside game ARE necessary. Good 3 point shooting is icing on the cake.

In my opinion, women's basketball has evolved to the point where having superb 3 point shooting isn't necessary. I do think solid defense, an efficient offense that values possession, and a good inside game ARE necessary. Good 3 point shooting is icing on the cake.

The one hole in your analysis is the two best teams in the country are both great at shooting threes.

We just dismantled a Texas A&M team that was undefeated - UNDEFEATED in SEC play and all anyone wants to talk about is firing Holly or the awful coaching job against ND.

Agree I want to see the teams of 96, 97, and 98 destroy anyone and everyone but these are not those days ---- still about 98% of the country would love to have our team. Great job today ladies (and CHW).

Yes I do agree this was a great road win against a good team with a very good coach. I think this is Holly's best road win this year.

We may very well have the talent to go deep into the tourney. But when you fire a coach because they "only" made the sweet 16 or Big 8 you're cutting off your nose to spite your face. Winning at that level is usually a result of very small factors and fine details. As another poster stated, any team having a slightly off night or another team that's playing lights can change the whole tourney. Coaches know this.

You're advocating the creation of the same process that has created the mess we've had in football. A lifelong Tennessee coach is canned cuz the fans get pissy. All other coaches see this and run for the hills. We've got to stop shooting ourselves in the foot when it comes to how we treat people like Majors, Fulmer, and Pat. Now you're questioning Warlick.

We may very well have the talent to go deep into the tourney. But when you fire a coach because they "only" made the sweet 16 or Big 8 you're cutting off your nose to spite your face. Winning at that level is usually a result of very small factors and fine details. As another poster stated, any team having a slightly off night or another team that's playing lights can change the whole tourney. Coaches know this.

You're advocating the creation of the same process that has created the mess we've had in football. A lifelong Tennessee coach is canned cuz the fans get pissy. All other coaches see this and run for the hills. We've got to stop shooting ourselves in the foot when it comes to how we treat people like Majors, Fulmer, and Pat. Now you're questioning Warlick.

I don't think that is a valid comparison at all. Fulmer had a losing record 2 of his last 3 years (not to mention failing to win the SEC for his last decade at UT). That would not even be close to firing a coach in BB who 'only made the Sweet 16 or Elite 8'. Neither of Fulmer's 2 losing teams would have qualified for a berth in the postseason NIT, much less getting to round 3 or 4 of the NCAA.

The lady vols are measured by final fours and championships. That alone determines whether or not we had a good year or not. Let's go back thru the numbers. The tourney has been held since about 1977. We have gotten to the final four 67% of the time. We have gotten to the elite eight 81% of the time. We have gotten to the sweet sixteen 97% of the time. With our talent you could basically roll the balls out there and get to the sweet sixteen. Over 4 out of every 5 years we should make it to the elite. 2 out of every 3 years we should be in the final four. I know that the landscape has changed in women's basketball of a more competitive league, but we should never hang our hats on sweet sixteens. I think the pissy fans just want a final four appearance soon. We it seems have blown an engine and falling way back in the race. The future of holly is gonna be measured on these next 2 years.
The Fulmer and majors analogy was not helping your argument. It was either take majors and lose Fulmer or take Fulmer and lose majors. We went with the young coach that was full of drive and energy. Fulmer had great recruiting classes every year until he became older and not much drive. That's why his recruiting classes fell out of the top 25 quite regularly in the end. I heard he spent a lot more time on the bourbon trail than the recruiting one those last two years. I can't confirm this but it does make some sense with the results.:eek:hmy:

I don't think that is a valid comparison at all. Fulmer had a losing record 2 of his last 3 years (not to mention failing to win the SEC for his last decade at UT). That would not even be close to firing a coach in BB who 'only made the Sweet 16 or Elite 8'. Neither of Fulmer's 2 losing teams would have qualified for a berth in the postseason NIT, much less getting to round 3 or 4 of the NCAA.

oooh i do understand,a coach with what 2 losing seasons in 17 years of really awesome football should be fired

and let us see how this year plays out before worrying about next year :)

VN Store

Back