Ask GOVTMULE About The Lady Vols

Nerd-Vol

Government Mule is a wise and knowledgeable lady vols fan. He is pretty immune from the knee jerk reactions that plague this website and the sports world as a whole.

Here I will pose questions to the MULE, and he will respond authoritatively and kindly. Feel free to join in.

What are your thoughts on this year's lady vols Bball team? What do you like out of this team, what gives you cause for concern?

Thanks.

What gives me concern is the coaching. Kind of like the mens team. The talent is there for a deep tourney run, the coach is just holding them back.

Reactions: 2 people
Government Mule is a wise and knowledgeable lady vols fan. He is pretty immune from the knee jerk reactions that plague this website and the sports world as a whole.

Here I will pose questions to the MULE, and he will respond authoritatively and kindly. Feel free to join in.

Sue_is_in_a_rage.gif

My biggest concern is how some of the players on the team have not developed into the great players they were supposed to be. I think we are hurting at three positions this season. The forward positions and the two guard position. The three and four forwards have brought very little to the offense. They have rebounded well but have not made shots. The two guard position has turned the ball over an average of five times per game and although there have been a lot of shots taken the points per shot production is low at that position as well. We lost the game to Notre Dame because we couldn't make shots. We missed something like 11 in a row and they in turn made three straight threes. We couldn't score on offense and gave up on defense.
Tough to swallow was the fact that it wasn't the Notre Dame defense that was stopping us it was just bad shooting. We missed at least 8 open shots from ten feet from the basket and at least that many layups under the basket. You can't miss that many easy shots and expect to win. To add free throw shooting was horrid 10 of 18.
So the biggest problem with this team is players that were supposed to be great for us have done nothing. Five star players have played like two stars and I don't know whether to blame the players or the coaches. I figure it is a little of both.

there are several things going on with the team,the biggest one,is a lack of leadership on the court,somebody needs to step up during a game and say hell no we aren't going to lose tonight,all the turnovers and the lack of consistent post play,and lets not forget play some sound Defense, and one last thing,the at times poor shooting %,if they had came out in the 2nd half of the ND game and hit some shots,it may have been a different out come

and no,I haven't forgotten the coaches either,it is CHW 2nd season as the head coach and so far,i just don't know what to say, at times they look like world beaters and then fall on there asses the 2nd half or they play poorly in the first half and look good in the 2nd

they did put together a good game tonight,they struggled a bit in the 2nd half and then took charge of the game,it should be like that for any game,the coaches have to get them to play a full 40 minutes of basketball

which is directly on all the coaches,what i wonder,is what are the assistant coaches doing ? it doesn't seem like much so far,but it is own CHW to determine how good her assistants are doing and to deal with them however she sees fit, will she be fired anytime soon ? I highly doubt it,she has 3 years left on her contract and she will probably be here for the rest of it,of course that is just my opinion

and it is her first time as a head coach,unfortunately we are seeing her growing pains ,there is a lot for her to get used to and learn as the head coach of the Lady Vols,nobody can come here and be CPS,nobody will ever fill her shoes,but CHW needs to establish her self as her own coach and get this team to play like they should,that is on her

Reactions: 1 person
I liked Bridgett Gordon on the 88-89 team going against Vicki Orr and Auburn. I liked both teams, and that is when I became a TN Lady Vol Fan for life (hehe). My favorite team is the 95-96 team with Latina Davis, Holdsclaw, Pashen Thompson, T.J., those post players were tough. Tennessee needs those girls now. That 96 NC against GA was hard for me to watch because I loved me some Lakeisha Frett and Saudia Rountree, and I loved Chamique and the rest of the Lady Vols. GA beat them earlier in the year with Davis and Marciniak fouling out, and came into TBA the next season 97 with Kiesha Brown at the point and won, but Tennessee won it when it counted the most.

The '98 team with the Three Meeks and Jolley at point. They were never seriously challenged and went 39-0 with hefty margins of victory.

VN Store

Back