Late Rally Not Enough In 80-77 Loss To LSU

VN News

Fifth-ranked Tennessee suffered its first home loss in 15 games as the Lady Vols were upset by #16 LSU, 80-77, in a heartbreaker.

More...

Vols need a new coach. Holly has been a good and loyal Vol for a LONG time, and she has done some good things since taking on the head job, but overall she seems over her head. She's not very good--not a bad coach, but certainly has done nothing to suggest she's a good one. This is a pretty talented squad--but I don't see her and her staff making the team better. Every time UT plays a good team, a solid competitor, it loses. The defense is not good enough. The personnel and tactical decisions are not good enough. Tonight she was plainly out-coached--Caldwell changed things up in the second half, and Warlick had no answers.

Simmons has an uncharacteristically good shooting first half and scores 15 points--and then doesn't even get a shot in the second half???? Caldwell must have been thanking the heavens. Yea, the lsu defense was one reason--but you as a coach have to get your scorer going. And Simmons is plenty quick to break down a zone. Warlick also sat her too long while lsu's lead grew to double digits. Baffling. Warlick does not know how to manage Simmons--usually shoots and misses too much, tonight shot too little! Team did not know how to attack the matchup zone effectively. Meanwhile, every time we play a solid opponent somebody on the other team has a career game. And meanwhile, another game with 20 turnovers? That's coaching.

If you gave this group of players to a good coach, the team would be 15-20 percent better. Hurts to say, hurts to hear, but I have no doubt that it would be true.

Reactions: 11 people
worst game Carter has played? did she even show up? no defense, no offense from her all night.

Nia Moore doesn't see the floor? Bad move Coach....

Harrison missed too many FT's and the big one to tie up the game...

Dang it to heck!

The thing with Coach Warlick is can anyone give me an example of a long-time assistant head coach in either the men's or women's game who successfully succeeded a legendary head coach? She never earned her stripes as a head coach some place else. The job probably should not have been given to her.

Reactions: 1 person
worst game Carter has played? did she even show up? no defense, no offense from her all night.

Nia Moore doesn't see the floor? Bad move Coach....

Harrison missed too many FT's and the big one to tie up the game...

Dang it to heck!

Carter, Graves and Russell all appeared a little out of sorts. I thought Reynolds played pretty well but she didn't see much playing time. Would have loved to see her put up a shot.

The post-game quotes from Warlick revealed nothing but the usual platitudes. Was she not asked why lsu's matchup zone so baffled her team--or why Simmons did not get a shot in the second half after scoring 15 in the first? She basically blames the players for not being motivated to play defense until late in the game--something we've heard a lot from the coach. No, motivation is very much a coach's job. "We will get better," says Warlick. That's precisely the problem: her teams do not get better, and they do not win the tough games.

Reactions: 2 people
Reynolds caused 3 tennessee turnovers in 3 possessions and never saw the floor again. She didn't play well imho....

The thing with Coach Warlick is can anyone give me an example of a long-time assistant head coach in either the men's or women's game who successfully succeeded a legendary head coach? She never earned her stripes as a head coach some place else. The job probably should not have been given to her.

Joe B. Hall
Didn't Joe Paterno follow Rip Engle?
Dean smith after Frank McGuire
Chuck Osborne replace Bob DeVaney

If you gave this group of players to a good coach, the team would be 15-20 percent better. Hurts to say, hurts to hear, but I have no doubt that it would be true.[/QUOTE]

^^^^
This!
Nikki, Muffit, Dawn, "come on down"!

Dave.......................you there?........................
...............Dave?

8.9 seconds left and the timeout was called to set up that play? Not a screen, no movement, nothing? What did Holly say in the huddle?

8.9 seconds left and the timeout was called to set up that play? Not a screen, no movement, nothing? What did Holly say in the huddle?

She said: Girls, we will learn from this mistake. Now go out there and make us 8.9 seconds of game film to study so we can get better.

Reactions: 1 person
Coach Warlick was not and is not the answer to our coaching need. Being a good assistant coach is nowhere near the same as being a good head coach. There is usually a stepping stone somewhere in there. A good assistant coach will usually earn a chance to be a head coach at a smaller schools somewhere. Then once they prove they are a good head coach, their time will come to get an offer from a big school. Coach Warlick skipped the 2nd step and went straight from being a good assistant coach to the head coach of the most storied program in women's basketball history. Dumb move imho. You have to EARN a position like that, and I'm sorry but just because you are loyal to a program doesn't mean you have earned that opportunity.

In all honesty the team was very low energy tonight and has started pretty much every game with low energy. Pat always said that you can't really coach effort. Yeah, there were lots of problems with how we played, but it all comes down to chemistry and desire. This team doesn't have those qualities and needs to develop them before the tournament because they will likely have a low seed.

This was a very poor effort all around. Bad effort, bad coaching, bad officiating. Holly should have known by now that Enterline likes to show his ass and decide games so she should have ridden him from the tip. Same with the players who never really got down in a defensive stance. We were outrebounded in the first half despite their bigs being in early foul trouble, and we had to put Jones in to scrap for rebounds. Those things are indicative of poor effort.

I said before the season started that this team was overrated. They have done absolutely nothing to earn their ranking. It was given to them based on potential and tradition. But they act like they have beaten a bunch of teams and can turn it on and off as needed. They can't. If you read their quotes after the game they think they gave a good effort. They need to be thoroughly disabused of that notion.

Burdick looks like she took the entire summer off because every part of her game has regressed. She lost her shot, doesn't rebound or play good defense and even her passing is iffy now. Last year she was very dependable in filling her roles and had one of the prettiest and most reliable midrange shots on the team. It would be interesting to know what is going on with her. Massengale is the only one who looks a lot better.

I am not sure why Russell did not play more. We seemed to want to match what LSU was doing instead of making them match us. But with Graves injured you would think Russell would be key.

There really isn't anything good to take away from this game. There is no shame in losing if you play well and give good effort. We did neither of those things and that is what is most concerning. I think everyone feels this team not playing to its capabilities.

Reactions: 3 people
I voiced my opinion of the joke hire when it was made, and I will voice it now. It what twilight zone world was this ever a great hire??????????? I'm dumbfounded. Caldwell, and Mitchell were available, and our dumbass AD hires this clown??? You get what you pay for. Now we are paying.

I hope like hell she gets her just due after this failed season and is shown her walking papers. Unreal she was even hired as a head coach.

I to never thought Warlick should of never been hired. She is in over her head. I bet she gets 2 or 3 more years and by that time womens basketball program will be like the football program. Tn better go out and get a coach who has actually coached before it sinks.

VN Store

Back