When is Warlick going to GET IT?

armchair

Simmons kills this team in big games with her terrible shooting. 5-18: This is what she does EVERY time we play a good opponent. She's been doing this for four years--and yet Warlick keeps acting like her bad shooting is some kind of aberration. Simmons has to be benched. If Warlick can't see the problem, then she should stop coaching the team. Ever since Warlick took over, the Vols have been BAD just about every time they've played a good team. Not good enough.

Reactions: 5 people
Lol at this point after reading Volnation's posts, when with any of Tennessee's coaches "get it"

Simmons kills this team in big games with her terrible shooting. 5-18: This is what she does EVERY time we play a good opponent. She's been doing this for four years--and yet Warlick keeps acting like her bad shooting is some kind of aberration. Simmons has to be benched. If Warlick can't see the problem, then she should stop coaching the team. Ever since Warlick took over, the Vols have been BAD just about every time they've played a good team. Not good enough.

So you post your protest in one thread and then start a thread of your own? We get it

Reactions: 2 people

True. #3 overall isn't good enough at all.

Reactions: 6 people

Fail.

Reactions: 5 people
I was waiting for this, you butt hurt people that wants to fire or set a player is just dumb you need to get over your self. If we win it's all good, but if we lose fire them all set them down,
Start over. Get over your self. Jmo

Nobody on either team shot it very well and I thought Simmons played well in the second half when she started driving it to the basket. She could score a lot of points and get to the foul line a lot by doing just that. Overall the game was lost because we could not guard Ogumike. She scored 32 and had 20 rebounds a lot of them offensive rebound putbacks. Anytime you let a player go off like that your probably gonna lose. In the end it came down to one possession where we needed a stop and couldn't get it. One thing for certain the team played well except for shooting Stanford is one of the two or three hardest places to win. Even mighty UConn has lost their last 2 of 3 out there. Just like every women's college game the team that wins the three point line usually wins the game. They won the three point line 21 to 12 today that was where we needed some players to hit a few more shots because we couldn't guard Ogumike.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
When she/they learn to stop fronting the bigs and play sound positional D so that the other team does not make a million uncontested lay ups every game. They do not have good backside help D that rotates over to defend the lob pass that is strong and tall enough to play that type of man D against a quality front line like Stanford's. Then subtract Simmons from the roster and you are good to go. Which happens next season.

Holly knows this. Which is why she used the zone part of the game. But Stanford has good outside shooters that busted it. Whereas the LV's had little outside shooting that could bring Stanford's bigs out to defend so the LV's could get rebounds.

Stanford was a little better in their execution and much better inside. UT is catching up to them and may catch them by the end of the season. The LV's were over ranked and Stanford was under ranked currently. The LV's got to within 2 points at the 1 minute mark. If they make their easy lay ups/put backs throughout the game they would have won. If Simmons had been more patient and involved her teammates, they would have won. If they had shot FT's better they would have won. If they had blocked out on the backside for rebounds they would have won. But they didn't.

Problem solved OP. Expectations will match performance by next season and possibly later in this season if Holly can get their attention and they improve in those areas.

When will she GET IT? I dunno. Exactly 12 games before she goes 5-7. That seems to be when other coaches GET IT.

Is there always constant b*tching in VolNation? (don't answer, I know the question)

Reactions: 4 people

With exception of the '07 & '08 NC teams, the Lady Vols offense has always been suspect against top teams. Even with Pat, the offense was never pretty to watch. The days of trying to win games with defense is long over. I think saying that the team has been bad against top teams since Holly took over isn't fair. She is simply doing as Pat taught her. As great as Pat was, she wasn't a great offensive coach. She did however, excell in DEMANDING the best out of each player, and was never afraid to bench a player regardless how great they were. People are wanting Holly to be Pat, and that is never going to happen! There will never be another Pat Summitt. Holly and Pat have totally different personalities, and they're going to be different on the court as well. I will agree that Holly needs to be more aggressive with the players, and officials.

Warlick is no Pat Summit but she isn't chopped liver either. We struggle consistently against big post players and can't find an answer. I give her the benefit of the doubt right now.

Reactions: 1 person
10-1 and OP whines. Nuffield said.

I do understand the OP's point, although saying Holly should not be the coach is going too far. But this team has too much talent not to be a great team, but it is not a great team. We haven't had a great team since '08. Obviously having the greatest player in the country had a lot to do with that, but part of the reason that edition of the LVs was able to win back to back NCs in '07 and '08 was Anosike and her taking leadership and holding everyone accountable. The current LVs need an upperclassman to take ownership of this team. Normally that would be a senior, but I don't see Simmons being able to do that.

Unlike the OP, I wouldn't call for simply not playing Simmons, but if I were Warlick I would consider not starting her for a while in favor of Carter. I love Simmons energy, but after 4 years she still doesn't play under control.

But ultimately this team will not be a FF team, much less win an NC, unless they can develop a fiercer mind, a killer instinct. And teams usually develop that atttitude from either their HC, or at least from a team leader. I hate to bring up Geno and UConn, but when I watch them they try to put their foot on their opponent's neck as soon as the game starts and they don't let up. And they play ferocious defense. The LV's don't seem to do either, and haven't for a while. Geno stamps his teams with his mindset, much like Pat did her teams prior to her illness. Baylor's players take on the fierce mindset of Kim Mulke and play with fire. Stanford and Notre Dame don't have those ferocious coaches, but they seem to have leaders on the team (Diggins, the Oglimake [sp?] sisters) the last few years who make those teams 'their' teams, and those editions of Stanford and Notre Dame have owned the LVs. Prior to '08 it was rare for either of those teams to beat the Summmit-coached LVs. I want very much for Holly to succeed, but she somehow needs to develop a fire in her players that is currently missing. They need to be able to play with a fire when they don't have the TBA crowd's energy, but be able to feed off the opponent's crowd like they used to do.

We may have found the answer to our coaching problems....send your name, address, and resume immediately.

With exception of the '07 & '08 NC teams, the Lady Vols offense has always been suspect against top teams. Even with Pat, the offense was never pretty to watch. The days of trying to win games with defense is long over. I think saying that the team has been bad against top teams since Holly took over isn't fair. She is simply doing as Pat taught her. As great as Pat was, she wasn't a great offensive coach. She did however, excell in DEMANDING the best out of each player, and was never afraid to bench a player regardless how great they were. People are wanting Holly to be Pat, and that is never going to happen! There will never be another Pat Summitt. Holly and Pat have totally different personalities, and they're going to be different on the court as well. I will agree that Holly needs to be more aggressive with the players, and officials.

I understand his frustration but we didn't defend the three very well yesterday. They defended the three much better. I do still think defense and rebounding wins championships. Summit was the best coach in women's college basketball. We don't have her anymore and we haven't played good defense consistently for a few years. Warlick is a good coach but the difference is Summit could have gone to any school in her heyday and made them a National Champion. Warlick can't do that. She is probably a top 20 coach but I can think of at least 10 who are better than her and unfortunately a lot of them are men.

P.S.-The Ogwumike sisters have owned our post players. If you notice UConn does a much better job of boxing her out.

Last edited:
We are kind of in a difficult situation because Holly is too good to trade in but we're used to having the best coach in the country for decades. Now its either Geno or Muffet probably. The Louisville coach is pretty good too. With Holly we'll probably remain just outside that top four and always looking in. We might make a final four now and then but don't see any NC's anytime in the near future.

VN Store

Back