Lady Vol Rally Falls Short vs. Stanford

VN News

The No. 3-ranked Lady Vols rallied late but could not complete the comeback in their first loss of the season 76-70 to No. 5/6 Stanford on Saturday at Maples Pavilion.

More...

What was the last big game they won? Seems like it has been a long time. Definitely been a while since they won multiple big games. Hopefully they can build on today.

At least the turnovers (14) were lower in this game & if we were going to lose the first game for this year this would be it since we were on the road in California. No shame in losing to Stanford. Also, the girls didn't quit like some, cough, teams, cough, I know on the hill.

Reactions: 1 person
Someone needs to light a fire under the mens team and one under the coach also, most dead pan coach that I have ever seen!! Holly will have the ladies ready when tournament time comes.

Last edited:
Just couldn't stop ogumwike. :no:
I was at the game. She didn't even have that good a game. Although she had good numbers, she wasn't as sharp as she usually is. The TN front line just couldn't handle her at all. Mercedes was way over her head. Luckily Holly saw it an took her out for most of the game.

Maples Pavilion wasn't sold out. It's a polite crowd and not very intimidating. Some people around me were reading during the game. Everyone was in a good mood, even when it was close. Must be the beautiful weather and campus.

Just couldn't stop ogumwike. :no:

like i said in the game thread,I couldn't believe she had 3 fouls on her in the 1st half and they didn't go after her to pick up another one and then maybe foul out,is it a lost or forgotten art?

Were a couple of solid three point shooters away from being a great team. I think they are coming in the next recruiting class. If you want to simplify the game just look at the three point shooting. They won 21 to 12 making 7 to our four. That is why we lost. We make seven and hold then to four we win. Tennessee has to get that part of their offensive game back and when we do we'll be as good as anybody in the country.

Were a couple of solid three point shooters away from being a great team. I think they are coming in the next recruiting class. If you want to simplify the game just look at the three point shooting. They won 21 to 12 making 7 to our four. That is why we lost. We make seven and hold then to four we win. Tennessee has to get that part of their offensive game back and when we do we'll be as good as anybody in the country.
Tennessee's record is as good or better than anybody in the country at saying "wait till next year." Six consecutive years and counting.

Tennessee's record is as good or better than anybody in the country at saying "wait till next year." Six consecutive years and counting.

Next year will be the first year in those six years that I personally believe we'll have the talent necessary to be the best. Unlike a lot of posters I don't believe we have enough this season. I think were top ten but not top four even though a road may open up where we can get to the final four this season. We've either lacked effective shooters, a top point guard, or ineffective post players. I think our post play this season is good, Our point guard has done a great job, but we do lack shooters that can make the three and outside shots. I am inclined to think that Carter and Reynolds could possibly fill that void if given the opportunity but looks like that want happen this season. They have as a duo hit 15 of 33 from the three. Compare that to Simmons who has made 18 of 70. We'll continue to let her take as many shots as she wants just like we always have and she will continue to hit around 30 percent.
Next season not only will Simmons be gone but we add a couple more players that can shoot the three. Finally got those stats updated and Dunbar is hitting 43.6 percent from the three Middleton 43.2. I'm not saying that they have to match that in college but if we have four players that can average 38 percent from the three that will make our offense Championship quality.

VN Store

Back