Do you guys think we could stick

We would beat them by 50! Joking I am too concerned about juco signing day just having fun!

I think UCONN is in my head mentally. I want to believe we can take em, but something makes me doubt it right now.

there is a lot of basketball to be played before the Lady Vols will have the opportunity to play UConn and it is a big if, if they get there , I think they are just barley getting use to playing together and have a lot of room for improvement

especially all the unforced turn overs,I do believe they have a great opportunity to gel and be a force come tournament time and the SEC conference play is coming up shortly,which from the looks of it,is going to be one tuff row to hoe

Come Saturday we will know more about this team when they play Stanford,this game will give us an indication of how well they have came along this year and what is needed to play top notch talent

so who knows :) Go Lady Vols

Reactions: 2 people
I dont think anyone can but we have the best shot with our size
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Consider that UConn has played 4 teams in the top 15. They have won all of them by an average of more than 19points. Two of those games were played without their top scorer and their 6th man.

Stanford will be one measure of how good UT is but I think a better test will be ND. IMO UT has to win both those games to separate themselves from the rest of the pack.

Right now? I don't think we would stand a chance against UConn. Seems there are three tiers to women's B-Ball: Tier 1, UConn; Tier 2, Tenn, Duke, ND, Stanford, Baylor and maybe UK and Louisville; and Tier 3, everyone else. The interesting battle right now is for 2nd place. UConn is a beast and UT is untested. I am a Vol fan, but I would not bet my mortgage against UConn this season. Auriemma and The Huskies have proven several times that they can go undefeated in a season without batting an eyelash.

We SHOULD be able to give UConn all it can handle. The huskies are loaded with talent--and so are we! But the Vols are handicapped by two things--coaching and team confidence. I like Holly and think she and her staff are pretty good--but Geno is better, and Geno was better the last decade that PS was coaching. Geno essentially is a male version of PS--with a better, more efficient offense. Like PS, he builds tough-minded teams--but unlike PS and Warlick, his teams are efficient with the basketball whereas UT has been VERY SLOPPY offensively for years, and you can't beat the top teams when you play sloppy. Geno's teams are usually very good passing teams; that is not the case with UT. We've gotten a little better the last couple of years, but the Vols still are too careless with the basketball, lack crisp passing--which lead to turnovers.

The other difference between the programs is confidence. We've lost some as a program--and the Louisville game showed that with sad clarity last year. We have a chance to go to the Final Four for the first time in 5 years, playing a team that's never won anything, and the Vols came out and played like a nervous high-school team. As a longtime follower of the program, it was shocking to see. Whereas past UT teams would have completely intimidated Louisville, our girls seemed to be intimidated by either Louisville or the moment. Couldn't handled it: UT was in a panic mode before the game was 5 minutes old. Spani and Simmons, two veteran players, were jittery and bad.

The bottom line: we have the TALENT to play with Connecticut, especially if Russell starts to become more of a force, but I don't think we have the coaching or the confidence to do it. The program needs to get its swagger back. That is a psychological thing, of course, it really starts with the coach. I don't think Warlick is tough enough and demanding enough to build a great basketball team that can compete with--and beat--UConn, but maybe she'll prove me wrong. In the end sports is half about talent and half about belief--you have to believe you can beat your opponent. If you don't, you won't.

Reactions: 6 people
Isn't "little Genos" an oxymoron?

This thread is an example of why the Cons get in other teams' heads. Our big worry is Stanford, and if we get by them, Notre Dame. Con isn't on the schedule, and won't be unless the team stays focused on one team at a time. So far, they're doing really well at that!

No they are ten points better than everybody right now. If we had a couple of lock down defenders and could face guard Stewart and Lewis I think we would have a chance. I think you have to really limit those two from getting shots and take your chances with the other players. They outscored Duke 36 to 12 from the three point line was the total difference in the game.

Last edited:
Better coaching, more talent. They just blew out the #2 team on their own floor.

UConn is so far ahead of Tennessee it's not even funny.

Reactions: 1 person
Armchair nailed it with his post. They have three # 1 recruits - one who hit 7-11 from 3 and the other who scored 23 pts. But they don't waste positions and they get inside the heads of other teams - early. They establish themselves immediately. is that coaching, is it swagger, or is it very superior talent. some of all three. They are the bar - and we fans hope our team this year and in future years can - grind for nine

Great post from armchair per usual.Points are well stated and well thought out.I too am concerned about Holly getting this team to be tough and play with a take no prisoners attitude.About their carelessness with the basketball,when a head coach says that a lot of them were on fast breaks and that's okay,then the players know they are not held accountable.The Lady Vols should police themselves and hold the team to a higher standard.We want to see them play winning basketball,not show time ball.Onward to Nashville,Lady Vols!!

I think I may be one of the biggest Geno haters in the country. With that being said Uconn is just the beat team out there right now. Our problems is our focus and mental toughness. But I think we could keep the game in single digits. We will get better and may be ready for them by tourny time.

Not with the turnover rate we are having, ball security is paramount. Foul trouble would also would have to be considered. Actually, No!

Some comparative rankings for assists and turnovers . . .

Turnovers - UConn ranked #2, UT ranked #238
Assists - UConn ranked #3, UT ranked #20
A/TO - UConn ranked #1, UT ranked #73

Personal fouls UConn ranked #1, UT ranked #156

Do the math and it's obvious that the posters commenting about those stats are on the money.

Last edited:

Pretty much sums it up. Good info thanks.

Too many of our would-be assists end in turnovers.
We force the ball too much and need more movement in our offense.

We also need an entire week devoted to passing and shooting layups.

Meh. If Louisville could beat Baylor last year, we sure as hell can beat UCONN this year if we play a good game.

Personal fouls UConn ranked #1, UT ranked #156

Do the math and it's obvious that the posters commenting about those stats are on the money.

UT is good but Warlick needs to focus on improving the team's passing and offensive efficiency. Assists to Turnovers is always a key stat--and it shows how inefficient UT often is: Too careless with the basketball too often. Still, this year's team is plenty good enough to get to the final four, and I would love to see us play UConn. We need the challenge.

Reactions: 1 person
UT is good but Warlick needs to focus on improving the team's passing and offensive efficiency. Assists to Turnovers is always a key stat--and it shows how inefficient UT often is: Too careless with the basketball too often. Still, this year's team is plenty good enough to get to the final four, and I would love to see us play UConn. We need the challenge.

Forget UConn, they will get a challenge this weekend. If the Lady Vols continue their level of play to date, Stanford will destroy them.

And UConn already crushed Stanford, for reference....

VN Store

Back