Officiating this year

VollyParton

Blue Hair
While waiting for the emphasis on calling hand-checking and mugging in the post to make the game better, I've seen a lot of players, who fearing they've made contact with another player, suddenly pull both their hands/arms back like they've just touched a hot wire. While doing that, they are useless in defending or rebounding - they are so concerned with not getting called for a foul, they take themselves out of a play altogether. That is silly-looking basketball.

Reactions: 4 people
While waiting for the emphasis on calling hand-checking and mugging in the post to make the game better, I've seen a lot of players, who fearing they've made contact with another player, suddenly pull both their hands/arms back like they've just touched a hot wire. While doing that, they are useless in defending or rebounding - they are so concerned with not getting called for a foul, they take themselves out of a play altogether. That is silly-looking basketball.

Man I totally agree. Their going to end up ruining the gm for the players and the fans.

Reactions: 1 person
Why not? Basketball is just getting the same shakedown that football has gotten with these targeting calls. Having a lockdown defender is going to be the same as having a hard hitting saftey, a liability. Refs should let them play and call the over the top hand checks like the good ole days. Nobody came to the game to watch a free throw shooting event and your best players on the bench with foul trouble.

Reactions: 3 people
Why not? Basketball is just getting the same shakedown that football has gotten with these targeting calls. Having a lockdown defender is going to be the same as having a hard hitting saftey, a liability. Refs should let them play and call the over the top hand checks like the good ole days. Nobody came to the game to watch a free throw shooting event and your best players on the bench with foul trouble.

Calling those stupid hand checks is nothing like targeting.

Calling those stupid hand checks is nothing like targeting.

My point is that clean, head up hits that happen to hard are being called as targeting. Targeting is spearing by definition and has always been illegal. These hand checks when taken by the letter of the law prohibit a defender from being able to play defense.

I am afraid the rules have had an unintended consequence. While attempting to "clean" up the physicality of the game, it has instead made the game slow down except for the parade to the foul line and the players leaving the floor with too many fouls.

Ok, the experiment is over. Let's go back to the old rules and watch some competitive basketball without the dainty niceness and timidity to it.

Reactions: 2 people
Personally, I'm ok with the officiating. What I'm commenting on is how teams don't seem ready to play with stiffer rules. UT is getting better at it. We could do more to take advantage of the officiating and draw more fouls while teams are still adjusting. We could also work on hitting free throws (always!)

I like enforcing the rules. They result in a better game. In football, just eliminate face masks. That will end the practice of leading with the head and result in less head trauma.

The report that initiated the change in rules focused on the more athletic players could be more physical against less physical/coordinated players. However, the logic of calling hand-checks on the perimeter and at the same time allowing the physical jockeeing for position under the basket with arms intersecting arms makes no sense.

Reactions: 2 people
The report that initiated the change in rules focused on the more athletic players could be more physical against less physical/coordinated players. However, the logic of calling hand-checks on the perimeter and at the same time allowing the physical jockeeing for position under the basket with arms intersecting arms makes no sense.
There was too much holding on the perimeter in the name of hand checking. To argue hand checking should be allowed because it doesn't impede the offensive player doesn't hold water. If it doesn't impede, why do it? To be sure the player isn't isn't held touching is banned. The ref doesn't have to figure out if the touch impeded the player or not.

I don't think intersecting arms is allowed. A player can't hold her arms out to stop a player's movement. In the long run, the new rules will improve the game. Right now, the coaches that can get their kids to change their ways quickly will benefit. Eventually, we'll see a lot more spectacular offensive plays and interesting games under the new rules.

As a player in the 80s, I was taught that a hand check was a foul. We were coached to play defense with our feet. Over the years the officiating let it get out of control by not holding defenders accountable consistently. Now they are reinstating an old practice disguised as a new point of emphasis.

As a result we'll see greater offensive output--not from spectacular offensive plays and execution but from more points scored from the free throw line. That will raise scoring averages. (Yawn!) Spectacular offensive plays will more likely require improved ball handling and the allowance of an extra step (traveling) like they use in the NBA.

Vandy lost to Marquette at home the other day 33 and 34 fouls called. Vandy shot 40 foul shots and Marquette in the mid 30s. Each had a shooting guard shoot 15 free throws. I mention this as it relates to drawing fouls on the dribble-drive.

If the refs really want defensive players playinhg hands off then enforce the CARRYING THE BALL rules. I see very few players who dribble legally. Enforce THAT rule and defenders won'r have to hand-check.

call the flagrant calls and ease off the ones that don't matter,i don't have a problem with the refs calling the game that way,but it is ridiculous to call the game the way they are,did the women game need some cleaning up ? i would go with the conservative call and say yes,but to this the extreme?like others have said,I think it takes away from the game,watching FT shoot outs and good players sitting on the bench for being in foul trouble

VN Store

Back