On the way to meet the fresh(wo)men

CannonVol80

Going to see if both Mercedes Russell and Jordan Reynolds are as well spoken in person as they appear in the videos that have been released. This year's meeting is in Thompson-Boling.

Jim

Going to see if both Mercedes Russell and Jordan Reynolds are as well spoken in person as they appear in the videos that have been released. This year's meeting is in Thompson-Boling.

Jim

Well?....What did ya think?

I don't know if it is just these two or if their generation is just more comfortable with speaking to groups, but they both seem mature beyond their years. If they can speak for the rest of the team, there seems to be more of a bond between members of the team than we have seen in the last few years. We were seeing that come around last season, but it seems more pronounced now from what the freshies and Holly said.

Holly was very effusive with her praise of both. She also provided a bit of info on Mercedes Russesll's recruitment that I had not heard before. Apparently, Niya Butts, in the area to observe another, player saw Russell when she was in either the 8th or 9th grade and called Mickie DeMoss. She told her that she (Niya) had no chance of getting Russell, but the Lady Vols needed to get someone out there as soon as possible. And the rest is history. Mickey Dearstone, who was the MC, quipped that Dean Lockwood had spent so much time in Oregon that they had started sending him a tax bill from the state!

There was the anticipated question to Russell about whether she could and would dunk, to which Holly replied "Bring it on!" bringing the response from Russell, "I can try."

My impression is that we hit the jackpot with both of these young ladies. Both seem genuinely proud to be Tennessee Lady Vols and are prepared to put in the effort it will take to earn that designation.

One interesting story from Holly. She started by reminding everyone how intense things could get around Pat after a loss. Then she recounted how, after the loss to Louisville she (and the team) had returned to the hotel and she was having a fit (my words, not hers) and she called Pat and was venting and talking about needing to review the tape of the game and that they needed to do that right then, to which Pat replied, Holly (with a short pause to get Holly's attention), sometimes you just have to let it go. Holly said she had to check the caller ID to make sure she was, in fact, speaking to Pat Summitt!

I'm sure there is more that I will remember, but that's a start for now.

Jim

Reactions: 3 people
That's exciting. The pieces look promising providing everyone stays healthy and goes to class.

One interesting story from Holly. She started by reminding everyone how intense things could get around Pat after a loss. Then she recounted how, after the loss to Louisville she (and the team) had returned to the hotel and she was having a fit (my words, not hers) and she called Pat and was venting and talking about needing to review the tape of the game and that they needed to do that right then, to which Pat replied, Holly (with a short pause to get Holly's attention), sometimes you just have to let it go. Holly said she had to check the caller ID to make sure she was, in fact, speaking to Pat Summitt!

I'm sure there is more that I will remember, but that's a start for now.

Jim

i got a good laugh from that and it is nice to hear that the freshmen are fitting in so good

I'm beginning to think we'll see a lot of Jordan Reynolds this season. She seems to be basketball smart beyond her years.

VN Store

Back