A'ja Wilson

TNRitz

It is being reported on a Connectiut blog that she is down to choosing between UConn and South Carolina. I haven't seen this anywhere else, but a so-called recruiting guru is stating this as fact. I was hoping she would end up in Knoxville because she is crazy talented, and at 6'5" she's a nightmare matchup at the guard position! It's going to be interesting to see how this recruiting class shapes up for Holly!

Heck, at least stay at South Carolina & play for coach Staley & not for the devil up north. Don't quite understand why TN Lady Vols would be off the table? And I also don't understand why southern players want to go up north to play. We have the greatest fan base anywhere in the South + a great facility to play basketball in & we are always ranked in the top 10. But to each his own as they say. She should rethink her top two & come to TN & win some southern home cooking championships.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Heck, at least stay at South Carolina & play for coach Staley & not for the devil up north. Don't quite understand why TN Lady Vols would be off the table? And I also don't understand why southern players want to go up north to play. We have the greatest fan base anywhere in the South + a great facility to play basketball in & we are always ranked in the top 10. But to each his own as they say. She should rethink her top two & come to TN & win some southern home cooking championships.

I wonder if it has anything to do with a 6'6" Gatorade Player of the Year coming?
GO VOLS!

Connecticut's coach compares well with UF's old football coach. Strongly dislike both of them and enjoy watching them lose.

The backdoor to ESPN.

I wonder if it has anything to do with a 6'6" Gatorade Player of the Year coming?
GO VOLS!

It shouldn't have a thing to do w/that. There's room to play on this Lady Vols team. Competition always makes a better & more productive player that wants to play with the best. Kinda like what you can do, I can do better attitude. If I was a really good player that was offered by TN, I would not let something like "Gatorade Player Of the Year" bother me one little bit. I would show just how good I could be also. It would probably make me a better player for the program & a better all around person for it. Showing good sportsmanship is a very good quality that a person should have in life. :thumbsup: :yes:

One has to remember that this is the same blog/"expert" that was all but guaranteeing that Diamond would be playing in Storrs! I think the irony here, is that the tidbit about A'ja was at the end of the article where he stated that UConn was no longer recruiting Briana Turner, who was once viewed as a heavy UConn lean not too long ago by them. Maybe he was just trying to put a positive spin on the news about Turner's recruitment. Everything I've heard is that A'ja isn't even close to making a final list. I don't really feel that Mercedes coming in would be a detriment for the Lady Vols recruiting at all! If she goes to UConn, she will be playing with two former Gatorade POY in KML and Stewart! This is a super talented class! I don't ever remember seeing a class where the first 8 or 9 players were all rated at 98! I wonder who are the recruits TN is focusing on the most??

If the Kaela Davis debacle taught us nothing, you don't know where a kid is going until they tell us, and even then, they may not go there.

Recruit her as a guard. She would fit in well with the height of our front, and would be a nice big guard at 6'4"

ESPNW interview excerpt:

Wilson also said she doesn't have requirements in a college such as location or style of play. Well, except for one -- growth spurt or not, she still considers herself a guard.

"I talk to coaches, they're like, 'Yeah we'll put you down in the post.' I'm like, 'Whoa, whoa, I'm a guard,' " Wilson said. "There's plenty of girls out there who love to bang. That's just not me."

Until the signature is on the dotted line, nothing is certain.

To me, it's easy to understand why southern players would like to go north to play, same reason why northern players come south. A change in scenery and a new experience. You're not questioning why Mercedes is coming to Knoxville. Talk about a culture shock! It's one thing I'm concerned about Tennessee is a big change from Oregon. Hope she likes it.

Every place in the USA has it's good and bad points. (Except for Waco, TX which has no good points). Connecticut has lots to offer even though Storrs is in the boonies. Just experiencing the radical difference between the 4 seasons is worthwhile. Each is beautiful in its own way. Near skiing, lots of water for sailing, fishing, white water canoe. Near NY City & Boston. Lots of cultural activities. Snow ball fights with hundreds on a side. Lots of rich folks to associate with.

Regarding southern home cooking - few northern girls know what it is. Ever been to CT? All the gals are slender. Probably never tasted anything fried.

I think TV and social media are changing the women's basketball scene. People with their large screen HD TVs are less inclined to see live games. TV provides a much bigger audience and just look at the number of Skylar Diggins' Twitter followers. Attendance isn't as important as it once was.

GO VOLS!
Definitely a factor. Look at uconn after getting 3 players in the top 10. Only have 1 recruit coming in next year, and not even a highly rated player.

We got a good chance with Jatarie White no chance at all with Wilson. She is going to South Carolina or UConn with North Carolina in third.

Last info I saw on Wilson had her down to the Carolina schools with no mention of UConn. If you believe a poster who says he knows the family, then UConn is out of the picture and the choice will be between S. Car and N. Car. with the possibility of Clemson being thrown in the mix.

What this all really means is that no one really knows and, in my opinion, all these articles that suggest any knowledge are really just projecting their own desires rather than any real information.

I will say, with no particular information myself, that Tennessee is no longer in the mix.

Jim

VN Store

Back