Kaela Davis

TNRitz

Kaela has parted ways with her Buford HS team! Not sure any details, but this is very odd to say the least! I still think it's sad that her parents are way too involved in her basketball career, and practically forced her to GT, but it is increasingly looking as though we dodged a huge potential problem! I still believe that in her heart she wanted to be a LV, but let go of that dream to be the only star player on her team. I'm even more grateful for Mercedes climbing on board as a LV!

Reactions: 1 person
Actually, they'll be less involved with AJ than Kaela because she is clearly one of the most talented players in her class. AJ is going to be a solid player, but has never/won't get the national exposure that Kaela has/will garners. Kendra said that Kaela would be best as the big fish in a small pond, and AJ as the small fish in a big pond. I don't think you'll see them coaching AJ from the sidelines as they did with Kaela.

This reminds me of the California phenom, a guard whose name I forget, who committed to UT when she was very young--14/15--and who left the Vols after one year. (This was about 5 years ago, I want to say.) Also had meddlesome "it's all-about-us" parents. Kid transferred to Maryland, where she didn't even start. Cautionary tale.

This reminds me of the California phenom, a guard whose name I forget, who committed to UT when she was very young--14/15--and who left the Vols after one year. (This was about 5 years ago, I want to say.) Also had meddlesome "it's all-about-us" parents. Kid transferred to Maryland, where she didn't even start. Cautionary tale.

Wiley-Gatewood was her last name. I think she was actually raised by her grandparents but I could be wrong. It's really a shame what happened to her. She was something special in high school.

Sa'de Wiley-Gatewood

The only thing wrong with Gatewood was TOO much Basketball at TOO young an age. She had knees that were ruined.

The only thing wrong with Gatewood was TOO much Basketball at TOO young an age. She had knees that were ruined.

some times parents push there kids to far early in there sports careers,i don't know if that is what happened to her or not,i do know in Kingsport that parents have held there kids back as long as they could to start school,so they would be bigger and woke there kids up in the middle of the night and fed them peanut butter sandwiches to put weight on or keep it on,amazing ain't it ?

Wiley-Gatewood--that's the one. I never heard anything about her having knee problems, but not saying she didn't . I think her parents didn't like the offense UT ran, or somesuch, and so she transferred to Maryland, where she came off the bench for a couple of years. A supposed high-school superstar who had a disappointing college career. Young kids can play too much basketball, it's true. It's also true that the kid who's a phenom at 14 sometimes peaks early and isn't quite such a standout at age 18--when other kids who develop later start to show their stuff. Also, it's NEVER a good thing to create a star mentality in young kids, no matter how good they be. It usually leads to problems. Humility is a good thing--in players and parents.

some times parents push there kids to far early in there sports careers,i don't know if that is what happened to her or not,i do know in Kingsport that parents have held there kids back as long as they could to start school,so they would be bigger and woke there kids up in the middle of the night and fed them peanut butter sandwiches to put weight on or keep it on,amazing ain't it ?

no kidding? do the pb&j sandwiches really work? i'm skinny as a rail, i'll have to try that
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Kaela's sickness could be the reason why she's going to Ga Tech. Her parents may want her to be near them so they can keep an eye on her. However, I read something in a news article that she wants to study engineering. Well, Ga Tech is an excellent school for that. Tennessee has a good engineering programme too, but not as good as Ga Techs. All the best of luck to her and I will keep her in my prayers.

Lol...do not believe the story by her parents.

Be glad you guys didn't land her.

She may very well have the disease; it is well-known to many that she has grown up with hearing problems. Either way, it should be very obvious that this isn't why she quit. I mean, who the hell QUITS the team because of an illness like this? Can't play, yes. That would mean staying on the team, being on the sidelines and cheering your team, etc.

And OBTW, she's more than well enough to play in the McDonald's AA and WBCA AA games, apparently -- although Kendra may hold her out of those to make it look more legit. And there's no mention of it threatening her playing career at GT. But she's too ill to play at Buford. Riiiiight. You would have to be a complete fool to believe this garbage.

Whether she has the disease or not, it's just a diverstion from the truth and to stop speculation -- and knowing Kendra most likely it's also a way to get Kaela in the headlines. Status quo for this family. I know this: I'm sure the Buford players, coaches and parents are happy as clams to get rid of her parents.

She was suspended (didn't show up for a game, I believe) and quit and then wanted back on the team, and was refused. She actually isn't even attending the school now AFAIK.

As for her parents meddling with AJ, I doubt it. First, Knoxville is obviously not as close to Buford as Atlanta is. Secondly, AJ's personality is a stark difference from Kaela. AJ is outgoing and more "free-spirited" while Kaela is shy and reserved. IOW, he's a lot less likely to take crap, especially once he gets to college and isn't living in the same house as his parents. And, as previously mentioned, Kaela's an elite recruit in her sport and AJ is not. That gives Kendra much more pull. MaChelle Joseph will bend over backward to cater to Kendra to keep Kaela (and IMO in the end it still probably won't work), while Cuonzo would probably laugh in her face if she tried the same thing with AJ.

She may very well have the disease; it is well-known to many that she has grown up with hearing problems. Either way, it should be very obvious that this isn't why she quit. I mean, who the hell QUITS the team because of an illness like this? Can't play, yes. That would mean staying on the team, being on the sidelines and cheering your team, etc.

And OBTW, she's more than well enough to play in the McDonald's AA and WBCA AA games, apparently -- although Kendra may hold her out of those to make it look more legit. And there's no mention of it threatening her playing career at GT. But she's too ill to play at Buford. Riiiiight. You would have to be a complete fool to believe this garbage.

Whether she has the disease or not, it's just a diverstion from the truth and to stop speculation -- and knowing Kendra most likely it's also a way to get Kaela in the headlines. Status quo for this family. I know this: I'm sure the Buford players, coaches and parents are happy as clams to get rid of her parents.

She was suspended (didn't show up for a game, I believe) and quit and then wanted back on the team, and was refused. She actually isn't even attending the school now AFAIK.

As for her parents meddling with AJ, I doubt it. First, Knoxville is obviously not as close to Buford as Atlanta is. Secondly, AJ's personality is a stark difference from Kaela. AJ is outgoing and more "free-spirited" while Kaela is shy and reserved. IOW, he's a lot less likely to take crap, especially once he gets to college and isn't living in the same house as his parents. And, as previously mentioned, Kaela's an elite recruit in her sport and AJ is not. That gives Kendra much more pull. MaChelle Joseph will bend over backward to cater to Kendra to keep Kaela (and IMO in the end it still probably won't work), while Cuonzo would probably laugh in her face if she tried the same thing with AJ.

Thank you Doc. You have no idea of what you are saying.

VN Store

Back