Tyler Summitt

Orange Maniac

Appalachian American
I went to the Ga Tech / Marquette game yesterday in part to see Tyler in his assistant coaching position. It was good to see Pat out and about. She sat in the first row behind the Marquette bench. Tyler's girlfriend was there as well as R.B. Tyler was really active in and giving a lot of instruction and input. The Marquette coach relied on him quite a bit. There were a few of us in orange there.

Pat spoke to several people before a security guard stepped in and stopped people. True to form the guard stepped up and told a girl of about 12 years of age that she couldn't say hello. Pat stood up and told the guard to let her come over. Pat signed her ticket stub and had her picture made with the girl. Talk about a happy little girl. There are not many like Pat. We are very lucky and I mean very lucky to have her. That is a true VFL. Just thought some would like to hear the story.

Last edited:
Reactions: 29 people
On a brighter note, its a really heart warming story to me. Its great that Tyler is there to carry on PS legacy in his own way. Also good to hear that PS was in good spirits /health considering her conditions and symptoms associated with Alzheimers.

Here's to Pat and her future vitality!

Thank you for sharing!

Thanks. Always good to hear about Pat, and glad to hear about Tyler. I believe he will be a really good coach. Of course, he had the very best teaching him around the clock.

Tyler is an impressive young man. I wish him the very best, and hope to see him back here in the future.

We have been truly blessed to have had Pat Summitt all these years.

I haven't always followed the Lady Vols closely, despite being an alum. I went to a few games as a student, simply because I knew I was getting to watch a legend and a hero coach that team. My respect for Coach Summitt has only increased watching her over the past year or so. She is truly a class act, a role model, one of the best motivators of all time, and most importantly exactly the kind of person I think many of us would strive to be. I watched my wife go through two heartbreaking miscarriages (not 6 like Pat endured in order to have Tyler), and took comfort from Pat having shared her story. There is always hope where people continue to fight. We now have a beautiful 7 week old boy. I grew up watching Alzheimer's slowly and devastatingly eat away at my grandfather until there was nothing left to take. Now it is our turn to hold her up. She has given so much of her life to mentoring, teaching, and raising young girls to be strong, proud, successful women. I want to give back to her. We must continue to rally around this national treasure, letting her know what she means to us and fighting her disease alongside her. My heart breaks for her and her family, but I am amazed at the grace, poise, and dignity she brings to this struggle (although at this point, you'd think we wouldn't be surprised by her strength). She will always be a Vol, and we Vols will always have her back.

Thanks for sharing your story.

Reactions: 1 person
Thanks for sharing with us. Pat never ceases to amaze me. She is truly one of a kind.

Tyler is going to make a great head coach one of these days. I'd love to see him back at Tennessee in the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Sorry I offended you with that sentence. I was in a hurry and trying to put two different thoughts down and didn't edit what I typed. Glad that's what you got out of the story.:sad:

It was a case of consternation, not offensiveness.

That is nice that you got see Pat, Tyler's fiance, and his dad at the game.. That little girl was very lucky... Pat was the one whom made the move to talk with the fans. I just wished the security guard would just step aside.. I saw Pat at the 2 first exhibition games for Lady Vols... She waved & talked with me for a short period.. She did the same thing w/the security guard.. I have been told you can hear Tyler through the game & gym or arena.. Would like to see a pic of this.. That is okay... Great story and thanks for sharing with all of us...

That is nice that you got see Pat, Tyler's fiance, and his dad at the game.. That little girl was very lucky... Pat was the one whom made the move to talk with the fans. I just wished the security guard would just step aside.. I saw Pat at the 2 first exhibition games for Lady Vols... She waved & talked with me for a short period.. She did the same thing w/the security guard.. I have been told you can hear Tyler through the game & gym or arena.. Would like to see a pic of this.. That is okay... Great story and thanks for sharing with all of us...
. Here is pic from twitter

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 13
Thanks for posting the pic of Tyler and Pat in the background... He does look like Pat when he is coaching... Rememeber what Pat said at her last SEC press conference with Holly.. "I won't forget the refs names; right Sally??? Pat was telling that to Sally Jenkins whom has been her best friend, co-author of her 2 books.. Sally said you're right, Pat.. Pat seems to be doing pretty well and that is great.. Like Pat says, we will win.... we will win...:)

I would not be the least bit surprised if one of these days we were to see another Summitt at the head of the bench!

That would have to be based on performance (exceptional performance) and not surname. No one has a birthright to a job based on someone else's credentials, reputation or legacy.

That would have to be based on performance (exceptional performance) and not surname. No one has a birthright to a job based on someone else's credentials, reputation or legacy.

That should have been on someone's list when searching for a football coach.:hi:

I haven't always followed the Lady Vols closely, despite being an alum. I went to a few games as a student, simply because I knew I was getting to watch a legend and a hero coach that team. My respect for Coach Summitt has only increased watching her over the past year or so. She is truly a class act, a role model, one of the best motivators of all time, and most importantly exactly the kind of person I think many of us would strive to be. I watched my wife go through two heartbreaking miscarriages (not 6 like Pat endured in order to have Tyler), and took comfort from Pat having shared her story. There is always hope where people continue to fight. We now have a beautiful 7 week old boy. I grew up watching Alzheimer's slowly and devastatingly eat away at my grandfather until there was nothing left to take. Now it is our turn to hold her up. She has given so much of her life to mentoring, teaching, and raising young girls to be strong, proud, successful women. I want to give back to her. We must continue to rally around this national treasure, letting her know what she means to us and fighting her disease alongside her. My heart breaks for her and her family, but I am amazed at the grace, poise, and dignity she brings to this struggle (although at this point, you'd think we wouldn't be surprised by her strength). She will always be a Vol, and we Vols will always have her back.

Thanks for sharing your story.

congrats on the birth of your son

Isn't this the first year in which Tyler S. has actually had a coaching job? Can we stop with all the talk of him coaching UT? Maybe he will in ten + years, but until then let's stop. It takes more than a name to win nowadays, in case anyone has missed the last few years.

Isn't this the first year in which Tyler S. has actually had a coaching job? Can we stop with all the talk of him coaching UT? Maybe he will in ten + years, but until then let's stop. It takes more than a name to win nowadays, in case anyone has missed the last few years.

T.S. is "very" young. He probably muses over the fact that he would like to come back and coach where P.S. coached. But, by the time he "MIGHT" be ready to entertain coaching here, P.S.'s memory will likely be just a glimmer and he would likely have to be a world beater and have that type record to even be considered as HC here. And, that is even assuming UT "might" need a coach. T.S. is just another coach until he gets quite a bit longer in tooth, and demonstrates ability. All that said, strange and unexpected things sometimes happen in college athletics. Witness the MH coaching selection debacles.

Last edited:
T.S. is "very" young. He probably muses over the fact that he would like to come back and coach where P.S. coached. But, by the time he "MIGHT" be ready to entertain coaching here, P.S.'s memory will likely be just a glimmer and he would likely have to be a world beater and have that type record to even be considered as HC here. And, that is even assuming UT "might" need a coach. T.S. is just another coach until he gets quite a bit longer in tooth, and demonstrates ability. All that said, strange and unexpected things sometimes happen in college athletics. Witness the MH coaching selection debacles.

Do you really think Pat's legacy will just be a "glimmer" in any LV fans memory within the next 25 years? Thats crazy talk.....if you believe otherwise you are a fool.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back