Mercedes Russell

CannonVol80

Everyone seems to be trying to divine whether her choice will be Louisville or Tennessee. Steve Mims, a sportswriter who covers prep sports and based in Eugene OR, has stated on Twitter that she will announce her decision at 2:30 on Tuesday. Whether that is based on confirmed information or is simply an extrapolation based on a comment by Russell's high school coach and the fact that the high school has a pep rally scheduled at 2:30 on Tuesday, I'm not sure.

Russell's high school coach, in an article in a Louisville paper is quoted as saying that he, Russell, and her mother plan to meet Monday to discuss recruiting and that she could make an announcement as early as Monday or Tuesday.

Both Russell and her coach have been playing it close to the vest. People appear to be picking out the favorable comment toward their school to support their own guesses. My guess is that since Mercedes Russell, Emmonnie Henderson and Jordan Reynolds have been traveling together, we will see them commit to the same school during the early signing period.

Jim

Reactions: 1 person
Everyone seems to be trying to divine whether her choice will be Louisville or Tennessee. Steve Mims, a sportswriter who covers prep sports and based in Eugene OR, has stated on Twitter that she will announce her decision at 2:30 on Tuesday. Whether that is based on confirmed information or is simply an extrapolation based on a comment by Russell's high school coach and the fact that the high school has a pep rally scheduled at 2:30 on Tuesday, I'm not sure.

Russell's high school coach, in an article in a Louisville paper is quoted as saying that he, Russell, and her mother plan to meet Monday to discuss recruiting and that she could make an announcement as early as Monday or Tuesday.

Both Russell and her coach have been playing it close to the vest. People appear to be picking out the favorable comment toward their school to support their own guesses. My guess is that since Mercedes Russell, Emmonnie Henderson and Jordan Reynolds have been traveling together, we will see them commit to the same school during the early signing period.

Jim

Would be a nice catch.

Well sir, I don't think your "guess" sounds too promising for UT if you think all three top players go to the same school. To have a chance at Russell coming to UT is like having Candance Parker all over again. Just having her play in Orange for the next couple of years alone would be great for the program. Henderson & Reynolds may go elsewhere & that's good for them, but I want Russell more than any other girl player right now. Russell & Jannah Tucker on the same team plus the others that will come in would be a monster team for Holly to have on the court. So let's hope that when Tuesday rolls around Russell will pick UT orange over Louisville red. Plus her buddies are welcome to tag along too if that's what they would like to do...I'm all for it. GBO.

Well sir, I don't think your "guess" sounds too promising for UT if you think all three top players go to the same school. To have a chance at Russell coming to UT is like having Candance Parker all over again. Just having her play in Orange for the next couple of years alone would be great for the program. Henderson & Reynolds may go elsewhere & that's good for them, but I want Russell more than any other girl player right now. Russell & Jannah Tucker on the same team plus the others that will come in would be a monster team for Holly to have on the court. So let's hope that when Tuesday rolls around Russell will pick UT orange over Louisville red. Plus her buddies are welcome to tag along too if that's what they would like to do...I'm all for it. GBO.

I want both Mercedes and Kaela! I wouldn't pick one over the other, so I say we just get both of them! Russell, Davis, Tucker, and whomever else comes will be a monster class, and one of the best ever!!! Not bad for a first year HC! Lets's hope we get good news on Tues!

Reactions: 1 person
I'm not sure how reliable he is but this guy on Hoopgurlz said he heard from a direct friend of Mercedes that she will commit to UT. God let it be true!

I'm not sure how reliable he is but this guy on Hoopgurlz said he heard from a direct friend of Mercedes that she will commit to UT. God let it be true!

If you're talking about Bob Sugar 96 on the ESPN board, I personally think he/she just likes yanking everyone's chain! He/she has been going on for days about how Russell was going to UofL and pulled a switch within hte last two hours.

(Not to say I wouldn't want him/her to be correct)

Jim

Yeah, he did sound like he was full of ish... But, God I hope it is true! Our athletic program needs a boost right now. BBall season just around the corner!

Forget it, she's going to Louisville. And this staff's recruiting failures continue.....

So we have nobody to go along with Jannah.

Jannah can't play post, is coming off a major injury, and looks like she comes with some serious baggage.

And even healthy, she isn't at the elite level of a Russell or Davis. This is a pivotal class for the LV program on whether they will continue to fall by the wayside or rise back to the elite. So far, it looks like the former. UConn, Baylor, and Duke are light years ahead of this program.

Jannah can't play post, is coming off a major injury, and looks like she comes with some serious baggage.

And even healthy, she isn't at the elite level of a Russell or Davis. This is a pivotal class for the LV program on whether they will continue to fall by the wayside or rise back to the elite. So far, it looks like the former. UConn, Baylor, and Duke are light years ahead of this program.
Duke?

Steve Mims tweeted earlier "I'm hearing the smart money is on her picking Tennessee. @MerSladezz Tomorrow is bout to be crazy.. I won't be able to sleep tonight." Take it for what it is! Let's hope she decides to come to Knoxville, and Kaela comes with her!

Is a "direct friend" a close friend or just not an indirect friend?

If you want the women's basketball program to get back where it needs to be...just write Matthew Mitchell a check. Until then...ehhh...

Steve Mims, the sports reporter from Oregon says that he's hearing the "smart money" is on Ms Russell picking Tennessee.

Jim

I really hope she picks Tennessee for herself as well as the program because she will be a media magnet much like Candace Parker is and she will get twice as much or more with TENNESSEE vs what she would with Louisville. She deserves the attention she will receive here!

Steve Mims, the sports reporter from Oregon says that he's hearing the "smart money" is on Ms Russell picking Tennessee.

Jim

I truly hope this is correct. She would be a much needed addition to this team; not to mention the talent that might come with her.

GBO VFL!!!

I truly hope this is correct. She would be a much needed addition to this team; not to mention the talent that might come with her.

GBO VFL!!!

I do too! Mercedes is an important piece of keeping Tennessee at the top and she has the opportunity to be one of the recruits who made the difference.

If Ms. Russell selects Uof L, the Lady Vols have hung their last NC banner for quite some time to come.

I haven't been able to find any information on a live broadcast of Ms Russell's announcement, however, for those of you who are interested, Brandon Clay (affiliated with Hoopgurlz and Peach State Hoops) is supposed to have an immediate posting/ reaction at Peach State Media

Jim

What time is she supposed to announce?

EDIT: Nevermind. It looks to be around 4:30 to 5:00 PM CST.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back