2013 class

tiburon

per govolsextra, Holly wants to sign 4 but wiil sign 6 if they want to come...please no more 6 player classes...

Reactions: 1 person
Are negaladyvols ruining the lady vols recruiting like they are in the football forum (according to some)?

I don't follow LVIV recruiting that close. What is the issue with six player classes?
It disrupts the flow of having experienced players mixed in with a couple of newbies. The new players can come in and get acquainted with how things are done and learn from the veteran players. A class of six bunches these up together. The benefit is they should be a great team when they are juniors and seniors but that doesn't always work as we have seen the last couple of years. It can create a yo-yo effect of not being good to being very good and back to not being good instead of maintaining a high level of consistency. It's not real bad to do it that way but some don't like the ups and downs it can bring and they feel it's harder to overcome some busts in recruiting.

It disrupts the flow of having experienced players mixed in with a couple of newbies. The new players can come in and get acquainted with how things are done and learn from the veteran players. A class of six bunches these up together. The benefit is they should be a great team when they are juniors and seniors but that doesn't always work as we have seen the last couple of years. It can create a yo-yo effect of not being good to being very good and back to not being good instead of maintaining a high level of consistency. It's not real bad to do it that way but some don't like the ups and downs it can bring and they feel it's harder to overcome some busts in recruiting.

okay, thanks for setting that debate straight. :hi:

Thanks great explanation.

Also, the ladies we recruit are not used to sharing playing time and stardom with others in the same class. It seems to me that almost all of our transfers out are from the big classes.

Just to add, when you are as prestigous as the Lady Vols, if you bring in only two or three a year, they will most likely all be top 5 or at least top 10 ranked players. When you bring in 6, then the caliber of player in the last couple of players drops off. This drop off is more glaring than in the mens game or in football. If you keep the classes small then the caliber of players overall on the team should be higher and filled with more highly ranked players, just from different years. There are always exceptions but rankings in womens BB are usually spot on.

Last edited:
The decision should also take into consideration the needs and quality of players available in this class compared to next years' possible recruits. It's not likely we will get 6 recruits that we really want this year anyway.

Personally, I would be THRILLED if we only signed 3 players, given that they are Kaela Davis, Mercedes Russell, and Jannah Tucker! I certainly wouldn't mind seeing Harper in the mix. I also wouldnt turn away Kendall Cooper because she adds much needed depth and presence inside!

What she is saying if Harper, K.Davis, Tucker already on board, Henderson, Russell, and one of the other top players like Scaife, Coates etc wanted to come how could you turn them down. I really like the first five I mentioned I really want all of them.:clapping:

Also, the ladies we recruit are not used to sharing playing time and stardom with others in the same class. It seems to me that almost all of our transfers out are from the big classes.

Not true. Of the last 2 huge classes we had, we won 2 national championships, and had 1 transfer Brewer, who was told to red shirt her junior year, refused and then did not put in the work to recover she was asked. She wasn't ready physically to play her senior year, and decided, or possibly was asked to transfer. Gray has not allowed to return to Tn because of medical reasons, and transferred. Niether had anything to do with it being a large class. Last transfer was from a 2 player class.

Also as far as another poster saying rankings tend to be spot on, not true, see All Americans and last years crop of Seniors, only Glory developed to her potential. Simmons was ranked 24th, in her class. The top 15 in the 2013 class are better than many players in the top 5 in classes around them, it is a very deep class. We also very well might be able to sign 6 out of this class that any school would love to have. Davis, Tucker, Russell, Harper, Scaiff, Cooper all have us in their short list, and it would not be a huge surprize to land any or all of them. All are considered game changers.

don't think we will sign 6,because don't think 6 will commmit......JMO.....but hope at least 4 will commit

recruits to be here this weekend, Mercedes Russell, Jordan Reynolds, Emmonie Henderson, Tyler Sciafe. Possible visits by Jannah Tucker and Alaina Coates. Anyone know anything different, or if there might be some 2014s visiting?

govolsxtra..Alaina Coates will not be making a visit this weekend...she has eliminated UT and will choose between So Carolina and Georgia

I feel like I am talking to myself...I predict that Erica McCall, Kendall Cooper, Lannae Harper, and Kaela Davis all sign with UCLA

I dont know much about Jordan Reynalds besides size at point and her s lashing ability. Hope we do get Russell still hear shes more one way than the other ans so forth, with Henderson hope she enjoys the visit she imo is the big get physical wide body that likes to bang and play big girl basketball can only imagine here and Graves beside each other in a line up and Russell with Izzy or Nia for a nice long post tandem. MY concern for both is depth and playing time with all those big bodies who gets minutes and who would be willing to come in off the bench and so forth . The style that the staff is starting would hugely benifit all up tempo play balls to the wall have a equally balance second five to come in i can only imagine all the possibilities.

Alaina Coates and Kaela Davis with Halle Washington could get Ga back in the game big time. Wonder if Andy could pull this off.

Just so you won't think that you're talking to yourself, tiburon. I have no particular insight and no contact with any of the recruits, but I don't believe Kaela Davis goes outside of the SEC.

Coates has been a So Car lean for a long time, and I'm not sure that has changed. Some have even said she is a silent commit to Dawn Staley and the Lady Gamecocks.

Linnae Harper would like to play with Mercedes Russell and vice versa. The only school on both of their short lists is Tennessee. LSU, Tenn, UConn have been suggested as the top three for Harper, but I think that is because of a spell check underline of those three schools on a fairly recent list of eleven schools that she posted!

Mercedes Russell and Emmonie Henderson are in communication with each other. Long considered a heavy Purdue lean, Henderson is down to Louisville, Purdue and Tennessee.

I personally think it is going to come down between Stanford and UConn for McCall, with Stanford having the slight edge.

I think it will be difficult to get Kendall Cooper away from the west coast. Of those you mentioned, with what I presume was tongue in cheek, I think UCLA has the best shot with her.

I also think that Andy Landers has consistently done less with more since the Saudia Rountree days at Georgia. I doubt the number 1 class in the nation would "get Georgia back in the game big time"!

Jim

VN Store

Back