SEC Softball Awards

CalifLadyVolFan

I am very proud of my Lady Vol!! Not bad for the Kid from Fresno! Congrats to all the Lady Vols!!

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – The Alabama softball team was recognized with 14 honors as the Southeastern Conference announced its annual softball awards, on Wednesday. Crimson Tide sophomore Jackie Traina was named the Pitcher of the Year while senior Jennifer Fenton was named the Co-Scholar Athlete of the Year. Patrick Murphy garnered Coach of the Year accolades.

In addition to Traina and Fenton, sophomore Kaila Hunt was named to the SEC first team while seniors Cassie Reilly-Boccia, Jazlyn Lunceford, Kendall Dawson and Amanda Locke and junior Kayla Braud were tabbed to the second team.

Dawson, Reilly-Boccia and Lunceford also earned all-defensive team honors. Reilly-Boccia was also named to the SEC Community Service team.

Traina led the Tide in the circle with a 31-2 mark and held a school-record 28 game-winning streak throughout much of the season. She is second in the nation in victories and 11th in the NCAA in strikeouts per seven innings. The sophomore leads the league in strikeouts looking with 47 and was a three-time SEC Pitcher of the Week honoree this season. She is a Top 25 finalist for the 2012 USA Softball Collegiate Player of the Year award. The honor is the third in a row for the Crimson Tide and fourth all time.

Fenton was named to the Alabama Dean's List six of her seven semesters at UA. She has received Academic All]SEC honors her entire career and volunteered at the Stallings]Rise Center as a teaching assistant for children with special needs. Fenton is also a member of the Future Teachers of America Society at UA. The honor is the second in program history for Alabama.

Murphy received Coach of the Year honors after guiding the Tide to its third consecutive and fourth overall SEC Regular Season title. Alabama posted a 23-5 record in league play this season and became just the second team in SEC history to win three consecutive SEC titles. This is the third Coach of the Year honor for Murphy. He previously earned the honor in 2006 and 2010.

Alabama will host Mississippi State in the first round of the SEC Tournament, held in Tuscaloosa. The two teams will meet on Thursday, May 10, with first pitch slated for 7 p.m. The game will air live on ESPN.

A complete listing of the 2012 SEC Softball postseason awards follows:

Player of the Year
Michelle Moultrie, Florida

Pitcher of the Year
Jackie Traina, Alabama

Coach of the Year
Pat Murphy, Alabama

Freshman of the Year
Devon Wallace, Arkansas

Co-Scholar-Athletes of the Year
Jennifer Fenton, Alabama; Brittany Mack, LSU

First Team All-SEC
P - Jackie Traina, Alabama
P - Ellen Renfroe, Tennessee
IF - Raven Chavanne, Tennessee
IF - Brittany Cervantes, Kentucky
IF - Kaila Hunt, Alabama
IF - Madison Shipman, Tennessee
OF - Michelle Moultrie, Florida
OF - Jennifer Fenton, Alabama
OF - Lauren Lackey, South Carolina
OF - Kat Dotson, Tennessee
C - Kristyn Sandberg, Georgia
DP/U - Devon Wallace, Arkansas

Second Team All-SEC
P - Rachele Fico, LSU
P - Hannah Rogers, Florida; Erin Arevalo, Georgia
IF - Lauren Gibson, Tennessee
IF - Lauren Guzman, Auburn
IF - Cassie Reilly-Boccia, Alabama
IF - Kara Dill, Kentucky
OF - Jazlyn Lunceford, Alabama
OF - Kayla Braud, Alabama
OF - RT Cantillo, Ole Miss
OF - Melissa Davin, Tennessee
C - Kendall Dawson, Alabama; Kelsey Horton, Florida
DP/U - Amanda Locke, Alabama

Freshman All-SEC
P - Kimmy Beasley, Arkansas
P - Alyssa Bache, Florida
IF - Lauren Haeger, Florida
IF - Paige Wilson, Georgia
IF - Sami ***an, Florida
IF - Allison Brown, Ole Miss
OF - A.J. Andrews, LSU
OF - Jessica Damico, Florida
OF - Branndi Melero, Auburn
OF - Ashley Phillips, Mississippi State
C - Griffin Joiner, Kentucky
DP/U - Devon Wallace, Arkansas

SEC All-Defensive
P - Hannah Rogers, Florida
C - Kendall Dawson, Alabama
1B - Cassie Reilly-Boccia, Alabama
2B - Lauren Gibson, Tennessee
SS - Madison Shipman, Tennessee
3B - Brittany Cervantes, Kentucky
LF - Ashley Langoni, LSU
CF - Michelle Moultrie, Florida
RF - Jazlyn Lunceford, Alabama

Reactions: 1 person
Here's the link:
SEC Announces 2012 Softball Awards > SEC > NEWS

Six out of the starting nine for the Lady Vols are first or second team all-SEC. That may be one reason none of our freshmen made the all-freshmen team. Hopefully our freshmen break out next year. Awesome soph and junior classes.

Loved it that the Gibson/Shipman middle infield show made the All-SEC defensive team.

Last edited:
Your should be proud of your daughters award!! She is a great player and LADY VOL!!! Now lets go defend our title!!!!

So, you are Melissa's mom.... Congrats on her sucess! She has come in and contributed immediately (like many others). I am glad she is in the orange and white. There is a lot of young talent on this team, and I have high expectations this season and many more to come. Congrats again to her and all of the other Lady Vols!

How do we only have two players on the all SEC defensive team with the number one defense in the nation. What a rip off.

How do we only have two players on the all SEC defensive team with the number one defense in the nation. What a rip off.

I blame it all on Participation Trophys, Coach's Pitch, and GatorAde. Life was a lot simpler when we just took salt tablets, a splash of water in the mouth, and running til we puked.

Seriously though. Congrats to Melissa's dad. I look forward to seeing where the LadyVols head from here. Good luck.

I blame it all on Participation Trophys, Coach's Pitch, and GatorAde. Life was a lot simpler when we just took salt tablets, a splash of water in the mouth, and running til we puked.

Seriously though. Congrats to Melissa's dad. I look forward to seeing where the LadyVols head from here. Good luck.
They took all of the competition out of field day at schools. What do they think? Finishing last is like winning? Dont get me started..

Reactions: 1 person

Did you order the rowing T shirt ?

VN Store

Back