Kyra Elzy to fill assistant position on Warlick's staff

Funny thing I remembered reading on Kyra Elzy. During one of the KY games this year I was reading the comments (on yahell, I think) from fans...and some Lady Vols fans watching the game were complaining that our players needed full body armor to compensate for the agressive defense of KY. A Ky fan said "...you have one of your own former players to blame, Elzy is the one behind that, not Mitchell....she's the one who tells them to always put a body on somebody every second of the game....." and, "she's like Pat II"... then they went on to say that Elzy has a lot of influence in the poster's opinion by opining that they paid more attention to her than Mitchell in practice.

I just took it with a large grain of salt at the time....but I just remembered reading it.

Reactions: 1 person
Im a big fan of physical basketball. Have never liked the fact that the womens game is not as physical as the mens. This is a great hire.

GBO. yeah, I said it.

:eek:lol: Nice.

On a "longer story" note:

My oldest didnt start playing basketball until 7th grade. We lived 20min from Michigan State at the time. I took her to private lessons and camps at MSU at every chance. She learned to play from Mike Peplowski, Matt Steigenga, and Al Anagone'. Two of them played NBA, one led the Big Ten in "Fouls while getting off the bus" Big Al was a foul machine.

But the kid learned to body up, played GREAT GREAT Defense. Couldnt freaking dribble. And since she never grew to be 6'8", or even close, basketball was not in her future. But man, she absolutely ruled the defensive end of the court in rec ball here in Rednecksville!!!

And now, that competitive fire, and outstanding GPA (haha) are lighting up the LadyVols Rowing team!!

:hi:

On a "longer story" note:

My oldest didnt start playing basketball until 7th grade. We lived 20min from Michigan State at the time. I took her to private lessons and camps at MSU at every chance. She learned to play from Mike Peplowski, Matt Steigenga, and Al Anagone'. Two of them played NBA, one led the Big Ten in "Fouls while getting off the bus" Big Al was a foul machine.

But the kid learned to body up, played GREAT GREAT Defense. Couldnt freaking dribble. And since she never grew to be 6'8", or even close, basketball was not in her future. But man, she absolutely ruled the defensive end of the court in rec ball here in Rednecksville!!!

And now, that competitive fire, and outstanding GPA (haha) are lighting up the LadyVols Rowing team!!

So how'd you end up a gator fan?

So how'd you end up a gator fan?

Went to UF on a music Scholly as a freshman (had/still have relatives in G'ville since I was a kid) Second choice was, ironically, UT.

Walked on to Football team. Lasted 3 weeks, until I got my kneecap broken. :) Lesson: Walkons should never laugh at the Starting Free Safety.

Went to the Marching Band where I belonged. Perfected my skirtchasing/drinking/deer roping skills (in that order).

Was invited by the President of the University to take a year to think about it, I think he signed the letter himself. So I went back to MSU. Rinse and Repeat.

3 weeks of college football, 2 years of college marching band (and a drumline national championship) qualified me to play 2 years of Semi-Pro Football, and to coach a couple years of HS ball and a bajillion city league baseball/softball/basketball games.

Anyways, moved here 2 weeks before my daughter started HS (Job related), which unfortunately cost her a HS basketball career. But Im certain that it helped create a college Rowing career. Everything happens for a reason.

So, you earned your scars and can rightfully take your place a Vols fan. Just do it.

So, you earned your scars and can rightfully take your place a Vols fan. Just do it.

Hahah. yeah, Im getting there. Im full on wHoops fan, always have been. It is very easy to get behind any of these teams, but when it is between UT and UF. . . well. . . I just have to draw my line there. Respectfully though.

I was in an All-City Jazz band in HS, one of the directors was a UT grad. (I played the saxamathing) And he tried to get me to UT. Also had a friend from HS that was on the swim team here but she transferred to UF and was there when I was. We consumed a LOT of wild turkey together. Swimmers drink like fish.

SO, Ive never really been a vol hater, just one weekend every fall, and I will probably never be 100% over that. But I have made sure that my kid is in the stands every game (except when rowing kept her away) and same for basketball. She was at the track meet cheering against meeeeechigan just a couple weeks ago!! :good!:

so, Im working on it. :hi:

Hahah. yeah, Im getting there. Im full on wHoops fan, always have been. It is very easy to get behind any of these teams, but when it is between UT and UF. . . well. . . I just have to draw my line there. Respectfully though.

I was in an All-City Jazz band in HS, one of the directors was a UT grad. (I played the saxamathing) And he tried to get me to UT. Also had a friend from HS that was on the swim team here but she transferred to UF and was there when I was. We consumed a LOT of wild turkey together. Swimmers drink like fish.

SO, Ive never really been a vol hater, just one weekend every fall, and I will probably never be 100% over that. But I have made sure that my kid is in the stands every game (except when rowing kept her away) and same for basketball. She was at the track meet cheering against meeeeechigan just a couple weeks ago!! :good!:

so, Im working on it. :hi:

I get it. And I admire your attitude.

And please don't describe that kneecap thing anymore. I can't stand to even hear somebody's knuckles popping. Still haven't figure how I'm such a fan of a sport as violent as football. :crazy:

I get it. And I admire your attitude.

And please don't describe that kneecap thing anymore. I can't stand to even hear somebody's knuckles popping. Still haven't figure how I'm such a fan of a sport as violent as football. :crazy:

:girl1::beerf:

Excellent hire . . . apparently Pat is still calling the shots.

I certainly agree that this is an excellent hire. But this post is the only negative aspect of having Coach Summitt still involved in the program. How do we know that Coach Summitt had ANYTHING to do with this hire? Is it impossible to think that hWarlick, who has been around Coach Summitt for all of these years, might just think that this is the person she wants to hire???

From the day she was named as Head Coach, her decisions will be judged for/against her. I hope she is making those decisions on her own. With input from those she trusts, but final decision has to be hers.

I certainly agree that this is an excellent hire. But this post is the only negative aspect of having Coach Summitt still involved in the program. How do we know that Coach Summitt had ANYTHING to do with this hire? Is it impossible to think that hWarlick, who has been around Coach Summitt for all of these years, might just think that this is the person she wants to hire???

From the day she was named as Head Coach, her decisions will be judged for/against her. I hope she is making those decisions on her own. With input from those she trusts, but final decision has to be hers.

Kyra seems to think Holly hired her.
Holly Warlick makes right pitch to Kyra Elzy » GoVolsXtra

That type of post is typical on VN, GB...a confident assuredness out of thin air. VN is an ESPN site, and if you can put up with the stupid....read the comments on ANY story on ESPN to see where a lot of the posters on VN are coming from-they must have made their bones there. It's almost like they have a basement full of them somewhere (t)rolling along for free beer and munchies. Guess as long as the number-of-hits parade keeps rolling along....silliness will reign.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back