Lady Vols finish Kajikawa Classic 5-1

bUTrosbUTrosVOLie

by outscoring W. Michigan 9-6 on Sunday. Tennessee defeated 5 NCAA regional squads in this tournament. Two California sophomores, Melissa Davin and Madison Shipman, put up big offensive numbers for the LVs, along with Lauren Gibson. Shipman had 7 rbi's in the games w/ 1 homer, Davin 6 w/ 2 homers in the final game, and Gibson 4 w/ 3 home runs. Ellen Renfroe won all five games from the circle. Good start to the season.

EDIT: I forgot to include Melissa Brown, who was clutch in two games for the LV's, driving in the winning runs against SDSU and San Diego St.

Last edited:
Good start, big win over Arizona State last night. Scored some runs considering Dotson and Chavanne didnt play but Ivy Renfros got me worried.

ivy didn't look the same last year, of course she wasn't really setting the world on fire her freshman year until the tourney started...then she was beast. hope she plays big this year.

Hopefully there's a lot to look forward to with this year's team. It sounds like they are off to a great start!

Melissa Davin's Dad is a Volnation member...really nice guy...he had her and some of the other Lady Vols sign a softball and then he sent it to my daughter here in SC....she was ecstatic...glad Melissa is starting the season off strong...

ivy didn't look the same last year, of course she wasn't really setting the world on fire her freshman year until the tourney started...then she was beast. hope she plays big this year.

Ivy was 19-4 last year and lowered her E.R.A from her freshman season almost half a run. She was not quite as sharp at the start of the year as she was later. I dunno what you might call "setting the world on fire" when she was a freshman, but she had one of the best ever freshman records as a pitcher for Tennessee, 31-6. I marvel at how Tennessee competes in women's softball with the disadvantages inherent in Knoxville (I was born and raised there, btw). Crazy, unpredictable and sticky weather, few traditional fans, stubborn rednecks and only a handful of quality players regionally.

VN Store

Back