Pat Summitt question...

Volumnus 2011

WE LANDED ON THE MOON!
Here is a quote from ESPN's recap. Notice the repetitive nature.

I just didn't think we brought the energy early on, and we didn't sustain our runs. We didn't have a whole lot of runs to sustain. We brought the energy early on and we didn't sustain our runs. We didn't have a whole lot of runs to sustain.

She says they didn't bring energy early on, then she says they did. And she talks about runs 4 times. I read this quote and actually got pretty sad. This doesn't sound like our coach. Maybe it's worse than I thought it was.

Is this ESPN, putting in a quote like this to sensationalize the situation (they mentioned her Alzheimers a little later, which in my opinion shouldn't have been brought up), or is this the sad reality that her condition is taking its toll?

If ESPN wants to talk about the loss, then fine, that's their job. But IMO, leave the Alz. out of it. I haven't read the article, but if they're throwing any blame on her loss as a result her Alzheimer's, then that's completely unnecessary and unprofessional and not ESPN's judgement call to make.

If ESPN wants to talk about the loss, then fine, that's their job. But IMO, leave the Alz. out of it. I haven't read the article, but if they're throwing any blame on her loss as a result her Alzheimer's, then that's completely unnecessary and unprofessional and not ESPN's judgement call to make.

They threw in the twist that it might have been Pat's last game in Memorial Gym. Here's the link.

I remember skeeter saying something about it. It's truly a sad ending to what has been a magnificent era.

ESPN has done a great job at highlighting the We Back Pat campaign and goes out of their way to call out the UT program success over the history of womens BB.

UT's team performance has been so atypical of past efforts that Pat's condition cannot be ignored.

Pat chose to make her battle public. How is ESPN not professional when they publicize her situation?

By the way, Pat has early onset dementia not Alzheimer's.

ESPN has done a great job at highlighting the We Back Pat campaign and goes out of their way to call out the UT program success over the history of womens BB.

UT's team performance has been so atypical of past efforts that Pat's condition cannot be ignored.

Pat chose to make her battle public. How is ESPN not professional when they publicize her situation?

By the way, Pat has early onset dementia not Alzheimer's.

I agree with you about ESPN. I think it would be unprofessional if a reporter thinks her condition is affecting the team and they chose not to metion it. They have no obligation to be considerate, only fair and I think it's fair to say Pat's condition is certainly affecting this team's play.

Reactions: 1 person
I really think Pat is worse off than whats been exposed. My daughter is a LVFFL and we have been to MANY games!! I think it's leading up to a sad ending of a Pat Summit era.
I love Pat and all shes done, but more than anything; I wish her the best of luck in anything she decides to do. "WE BACK PAT" is an understatement and there will never be another Lady thats so dedicated to the Lady Vols BB program. We Love and Back you 100%!

It's early-onset dementia (the Alzheimer's type) as I understand it. I'm pretty sure, both are correct.

Correct.

There are different types of dementia, caused by different problems (vascular, alcoholic, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, etc.)

The initial announcement said just early-onset, but subsequent statements said Alzheimer's, as in Alzheimer's-type dementia.

VN Store

Back