Lady Vol Golf

T-TownVol

Keep America Great
Lab Rat
Erica Popson hits a shot during the 2011 NCAA Championship.

By Beth Ann BaldryJanuary 19, 2012 5:50 p.m.
Follow Me: Twitter @Golfweek_Baldry.Share »
Print Email
Erica Popson was not on my Curtis Cup radar. Why? Because she hasn’t played in a USGA event since the 2008 U.S. Girls’ Junior.

“I thought there was no way I was going to get picked because of that,” Popson said.

Luckily for Popson, the USGA’s International Selection Committee didn’t hold that against her. She became the first player from the University of Tennessee to be named to a Curtis Cup team on the strength of an outstanding college resume. She won four times last season, including the SEC Championship and NCAA West Regional titles. She’s currently No. 2 in the Golfweek/Sagarin College Rankings. The trip to Scotland in June will be her first time outside the country.

So why the slim summer schedule?

Popson injured the thumb on her left hand two and a half years ago and realized quickly that she needed the time off in the summer to give it some rest. Doctors thought it was tendonitis or a joint problem that she’d have to learn to live with. Last fall, however, the pain grew worse and she found it difficult to perform basic daily functions like put on deodorant or button a shirt, let alone grip a golf club. She sought a second opinion and wound up having surgery in November after the fall season.

Popson is happy to report that she’s now pain-free and back to hitting full shots. The injury gave her plenty of time to work on her short game, which ultimately helped her become a stronger college player. Now she’ll have the chance to match that effort on the range and see where it takes her.

“Now that it’s fixed, I can do whatever I want,” said Popson.

Like travel overseas.

Golfweek Magazine

Golfweek.com | © 2012 Turnstile Publishing Company

Great job Erica!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
26200.gif

Congratulations Erica! :rock:

She's a throwback female golfer

She hits the ball longer than most of the guys on the UT golf team. Erica is pure power with a great short game because of the hand injury. While the hand healed, the short game was all she could practice. She will represent the Vols well at the Curtis.

She's a throwback female golfer

if you mean that because she's uhhhh, not as focused on for her looks, I would agree. the LPGA is sometimes looked at like a beauty contest (argue about it all you like, but how else do you explain the popularity of natalie gulbis??) but hey, if she can post low numbers, she can post low numbers. Golf is a damn hard game (played 4 years of varsity in high school)

if you mean that because she's uhhhh, not as focused on for her looks, I would agree. the LPGA is sometimes looked at like a beauty contest (argue about it all you like, but how else do you explain the popularity of natalie gulbis??) but hey, if she can post low numbers, she can post low numbers. Golf is a damn hard game (played 4 years of varsity in high school)

Michelle Wie practiced with my high school team.

Congrats to Erica!!!!
She earned her LPGA Tour Card through the Q school this past weekend. Great Job Erica

Last edited:

VN Store

Back