Coach Summitt update

Hartsvol

Bleeding Orange
Anyone have updates on Pat and her condition? UT seems to be doing a great job of not putting her on the spot with pressers and interviews, which does scare me a little bit that she may be progressing with her condition. I see Holly handling the after game comments and press conferences and am scared that we might see her step down after this season. If so, I hope we can pull some more Lady Vol magic to pull out another Final Four appearance and and NC to give here a little more of what she deserves. My daughter and I are headed to Ktown this weekend to attend a softball clinic with Karen and Ralph and hope to maybe visit with Coach Summitt, as I did some work with her during my time at UT with the 1990 Final Four. Being over here in SC, it is hard to keep up with all the news on her progress to beat this dreaded disease. God bless Pat and our Lady Vol Nation.

agree,wish i knew more on how its affecting her at this time.I can not think of a more deserving person and i pray many more good things come her way{championships). I have more respect for her off the court than on. Thats saying alot considering she is the best coach ever in any sport at any level mens or womens.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Officially Pat is doing mind puzzles to keep sharp and plans to coach 2 seasons after this one.

Unofficially, can't say. But, watch her court side demeanor during a game.

Reactions: 1 person
I am sure Pat is taking the prescriptions that are needed to keep this terrible disease at bay for as long as possible. For one whose brother in-law fought for a number of years trying to remember you name to associate with your face, this is going to be hard on everyone that is closely associated. Yes, if I can use my brother in-law as an example, change will come slowly, however the end result is something that no one will want to accept. Now my brother in-law does not know anyone that loves him or remembers what a great person he is. Sorry if this upsets some of you. Peace and Love.

You can tell she's a lot worse than anyone will let on - I will be surprised if she's coaching next year. She really isn't even coaching this year it would seem.

Holly, being the associate Head Coach, is taking the lead on the court. Not taking over as Pat is still there. Pat will still challenge the officials when necessary and continues to give the half time stare/speech. But, yes, not the same Pat from a year ago.

My parents went to the Big Orange Tip Off Club (i think yesterday) where she was the guest speaker. Said she spoke a little, but you could tell it was really affecting her. The assistants did a lot of the speaking. Very sad.

On a similar note. Chamique Holdsclaw is going to be the guest speaker at the next one. Should be a very emotional one.

I will be surprised if Summitt coaches two more years--and I doubt it will help the program. I think coaching is an issue with this program now: I think the assistants are good but not exceptional, with the exception, perhaps, of DeMoss. I hope Cronan is looking for the best coach in the land to take over the reins--not just someone who's a UT grad. That's nice--but only if they are an exceptional coach. We need someone who's been running a good program, more on the young side than old,and someone who is sharp and charismatic. That is my criteria!

I am glad i went through the forums and found this post, because after last night i wanted to find out what the real deal is...I live in Ky now, and the only thing u will found here about TN is when we lose to them in anything..

I went to the game in Lexington because i wasn't sure if this was going to be Pat's last year and if so, i made sure i was able to see her in her natural element, at least one last time...I left the game feeling really sad, not because we lost to the hated Kentucky Wildcats but rather because, the Pat i had always known, was not there...Last night i watched the game vs Vandy, and for me, it was so sad that i am thinking, i might need to resist watching them again this year..It isn't about the team winning or losing, but i catch myself watching Coach Summit's reaction to what our ladies are not doing, and there is nothing to see..

Last night's game prompted me to give a heartfelt and emotional post in the Game Day forum, that could have been completely off base...I talked to my lady friend after the post, and she stated that my thinking can easily be completely off, and since Pat has learned of her illness, that she realizes that it is just basketball, and her lack of response is because she realizes there are more important things now..Do other's of you see it that same way? Not only is this not the Pat Summit i have known all these years, but there is not a HC in any sport that i have seen coach like she is now...

Sorry for the long post, and i will get to what my original reason for posting was...What is being said about Coach's condition now, and has things gotten worse for her, or is she just taking things easy, so to not, make her condition progress faster??

I believe she does realize there are bigger things than basketball and that she's training the coach in waiting by allowing her assistants to do more each game. I honestly believe this is summitts last season.

I am sure Pat is taking the prescriptions that are needed to keep this terrible disease at bay for as long as possible. For one whose brother in-law fought for a number of years trying to remember you name to associate with your face, this is going to be hard on everyone that is closely associated. Yes, if I can use my brother in-law as an example, change will come slowly, however the end result is something that no one will want to accept. Now my brother in-law does not know anyone that loves him or remembers what a great person he is. Sorry if this upsets some of you. Peace and Love.

I don't think in this case that change is coming slowly. :-(

Holly, being the associate Head Coach, is taking the lead on the court. Not taking over as Pat is still there. Pat will still challenge the officials when necessary and continues to give the half time stare/speech. But, yes, not the same Pat from a year ago.
A little wishful thinking on your part I believe. I've only seen 3 or 4 games where Pat was close to being Pat and doing the things you say and even then it was no where near the extent it was even last year. This has been a tough year emotionally and I can't imagine how it has affected the team. It's a tough situation for everyone.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back