A Thought About Coach Summitt.....

DOCTORLOOMIS

Smith’s Grove - Warren County Sanitarium
As I told my dad tonight, there will come a day that Pat's disease will rob her of her ability to coach the Lady Vols. When that final game comes, there will not be one single empty seat and not one single dry eye....

And that will be a sad, sad day for her and the entire Volnation...it tears me up to lose such a fine person who epitomizes the Tennessee spirit. Those will be some tough shoes to fill.

She's not going anywhere soon, what we need to do is sell out TBA every game next season and give her a dose of Vol Nation support. Take the pledge, GBO!

I'm officially Gonna come up for a Lady Vols game this year. Go Pat! Go Vols!

She doesn't want our sympathy, but she need our support.

I think she will coach until Tyler has finished school. After that, I think she retires to spend the good years she has left with her son, and not consumed by her coaching duties. I really hope I'm wrong, but knowing the progression of the disease firsthand, she will need to gain as much quality time with her family as she can, while she still can. I know she's as Tennessee as it gets, but there comes a time where family comes first. I'm devastated by this news. I feel like another family member is suffering from this disease. Hell, I've admired the lady since I was five years old. I consider myself lucky to have lived during all her great years of coaching my university. Love ya Pat.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Last year my mom and dad took there 4 year old granddaughter my niece to the game in south Carolina and they got a video of her sitting on Pat Summit lap singing Rocky Top. She doesnt even realize that one day when she gets older how special that will really be. Prayers go out to her and her family

And that will be a sad, sad day for her and the entire Volnation...it tears me up to lose such a fine person who epitomizes the Tennessee spirit. Those will be some tough shoes to fill.

Hopefully Tyler will be able to fill those shoes!! Hard to imagine someone coaching the lady Vols not named Summit!!!

I think she will coach until Tyler has finished school. After that, I think she retires to spend the good years she has left with her son, and not consumed by her coaching duties. I really hope I'm wrong, but knowing the progression of the disease firsthand, she will need to gain as much quality time with her family as she can, while she still can. I know she's as Tennessee as it gets, but there comes a time where family comes first. I'm devastated by this news. I feel like another family member is suffering from this disease. Hell, I've admired the lady since I was five years old. I consider myself lucky to have lived during all her great years of coaching my university. Love ya Pat.

two quick things:

1) I agree completely with you about the need for family time. I wish she could coach forever, but some things are more important

2) I hope I am there the first time someone questions one of her decisions on the court and tries to blame her illness. I will punch that person right in the cooch.

d) I talked to the fella in your avatar 2 weeks ago. I had to turn down an invite to his Birthday Party. Aside from his obvious moral mistakes when he was younger, he is a pretty good dude.:)

:good!::good!:

The University needs to create a statue of her at TBA. She deserves it. For Women's B-Ball she is just as big as General Neyland if not bigger!

As I told my dad tonight, there will come a day that Pat's disease will rob her of her ability to coach the Lady Vols. When that final game comes, there will not be one single empty seat and not one single dry eye....

Amen to that. My wife used to talk to her way back in 1985 about her major Sports Information and said what an inspiration she was. What very sad news for a true icon in sports.

I am happy that Summitt will keep coaching--but she already has symptoms, and they will worsen (we don't know how quickly), and for that reason she and Cronan should think about retirement sooner rather than later. Coaching is a demanding job, and you don't want to wait too long with a disease like this--would be a disaster for PS, the team, assistants and the program. Summitt, being Summitt, may want to coach longer than she should. Better that she steps down while she is still reasonably sharp and can get the sendoff she deserves.

I am happy that Summitt will keep coaching--but she already has symptoms, and they will worsen (we don't know how quickly), and for that reason she and Cronan should think about retirement sooner rather than later. Coaching is a demanding job, and you don't want to wait too long with a disease like this--would be a disaster for PS, the team, assistants and the program. Summitt, being Summitt, may want to coach longer than she should. Better that she steps down while she is still reasonably sharp and can get the sendoff she deserves.

Im sure her doctors, and the administration, as well as Coach Summit herself, have the very same concerns. And Im sure they will keep an eye on it.

Everyone else needs to just trust that the right thing is being done for all parties.

We are very early in this whole thing, please dont be Item #2 in my previous post.

two quick things:

1) I agree completely with you about the need for family time. I wish she could coach forever, but some things are more important

2) I hope I am there the first time someone questions one of her decisions on the court and tries to blame her illness. I will punch that person right in the cooch.

d) I talked to the fella in your avatar 2 weeks ago. I had to turn down an invite to his Birthday Party. Aside from his obvious moral mistakes when he was younger, he is a pretty good dude.:)

:good!::good!:

Like:thumbsup:

He can heal anything so we must focus on that...He can raise the dead so dimentia is at His command also. Pat Summitt exemplifies courage and she has climbed mountains before when others thought it impossible so we will believe that she will defy the odds and conquer her opponent, once again. She will have an army of prayer warriors behind her so let's do our part!

He can heal anything so we must focus on that...He can raise the dead so dimentia is at His command also. Pat Summitt exemplifies courage and she has climbed mountains before when others thought it impossible so we will believe that she will defy the odds and conquer her opponent, once again. She will have an army of prayer warriors behind her so let's do our part!

It would literally take a miracle for Coach Summitt to beat the odds with this disease. I have witnessed first hand two members of my family who were strong and talented before the onset of alzheimer's and who were reduced to only a faint shadow of what they had once been in a very short time. I just don't see how she can perform her duties as a head coach (even with the help of her assistant coaches) with this disease that literally destroys a person's memory and mind.

VN Store

Back