Alcoa, Maryville, or Farragut

theroyz71

I work in Maryville but we live in Jefferson City. I have two sons (9 & 11) who play youth football and baseball. Both boys are very good athletes and are among the fastest kids in Jefferson County.

Help me convince my wife and boys (9 & 11) that we need to move to Alcoa, Maryville, or Farragut. They do not want to move. My wife is happy here. She has her friends and the boys are big fish in a relatively small pond.

I have already tried the following arguments:

Alcoa, Maryville, and Farragut all have better schools.

All have better youth, MS, and HS sports programs.

Any one would drastically reduce my daily commute.

Last edited:
I work in Maryville but we live in Jefferson City. I have two sons (9 & 11) who play youth football and baseball. Both boys are very good athletes and are among the fastest kids in Jefferson County.

Help me convine my wife and boys (9 & 11) that we need to move to Alcoa, Maryville, or Farragut. They do not want to move. My wife is happy here. She has her friends and the boys are big fish in a relatively small pond.

Need more information. Can't base decision on these few facts.

Take them to Austin-East.

Honestly, if Momma ain't happy... Nobody will be happy.

My advice would to load your happy arse in your vehicle each morning and just commute.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

100% honestly take them to Maryville I go to william blount but i went to Alcoa its a trouble school and Farragut has a good sports program but, if you want your kids to excell in baseball make them go to Farragut, If you want Football either Alcoa or Maryville, i would go with Maryville just for your kids being out of trouble, If you want basketball either Maryville or Farragut but once again i would take Maryville....... if that helps any.

Last edited:

Help me convine my wife and boys (9 & 11) that we need to move to Alcoa, Maryville, or Farragut. They do not want to move. My wife is happy here. She has her friends and the boys are big fish in a relatively small pond.

If your smart you would send them to a Murfreesboro school like an Oakland or Riverdale...

Farragut has the best baseball program in the state. One of the best in the nation. This coming from a former Bearden baseball player who lost to Farragut many times.

If your boys are as good as you say they are, why do you want to move them? Maybe you should listen to your wife. The high school educational experience is what the student makes it. If you are simply trying to get your boys to a place with a better "athletic" winning experience, go on, but remember, JCHS has seen players move on to the NFL. If the kid stands out, recruiters and scouts will find them even on a losing team. Your attitude is a lot of what is wrong with high school sports in this area.

you sound like you typical east tennessean. tell her you want to move to memphis and let them attend one of the public schools here since most of the football talent in tennessee comes from memphis. tell her you are dead set on this. guaranteed you'll be looking for houses this afternoon and your house will be up for sale tomorrow.

having went to maryville, moved to memphis, and now residing in chattanooga, I would have to say to pick maryville....I am counting down the days until I can get back. the school system is bar none for public schools, the cost of living is more than reasonable, and there are tons of eating options. as for your kids, their education should come first, and I believe mhs provides the best of the three you listed (don't tell my wife I said that, she went to fhs). and, of course, there is that football program.

All things being equal - I will weigh in.

It really starts with the commute. If you wife does not work it is going to save your family some serious cash as a result of a move and spending less cash on gas every week.

Good athletes can excel anywhere so that is less compelling of an argument.

My kids are in the Farragut system and I think educationally Maryville and Farragut are probably two of the better public schools in the East Tenn.

If I was going to try to pick one of the three strictly for their sports programs it would depend on which sport you think they will ultimately play. Aaron Douglas played youth sports in Farragut and moved to Maryville his freshman year to play football. Others have moved into the Farragut district to play baseball under Coach Pharr who is now at CAK.

I work in Blount County and it is very nice over there.
You might also have the family look at some houses in Maryville and/or Farragut and/or Alcoa just to show them what options are available.

Find a bigger/nicer house with a bigger yard and you will have a better chance of winning mom over IMO.
The cost of housing and living is certainly higher in Farragut and may be higher in Blount County as well.

If there are family and friends in Jeff County that also has to be factored in. There have been good athletes that have come out of that system as well. Are you going to be working permanently in Blount County - i.e. for several years at least?

Your guys are a little young to be determining a move based strictly on sports IMO.

Good luck

Maryville is the place to be. Great schools, great sports programs, great community, and your close to Knoxville for anything else you may want. I grew up in Maryville, and I don't think there is a better place in the United States to raise a family. Good Luck. :rock::good!:

Maryville or Farragut would be the place to be. And if I had to pick one, it would be Maryville, just because of the community and the strong sports programs. Maryville HS is actually a pretty good school when it comes to academics. Not to mention, Farragut has some of the worst drivers I have ever encountered in all my life.

But with this decision, you really can't go wrong. All 3 are great places. However, the South-Doyle community and SDHS could always use a good athlete. :good!:

Tell her your extremely attracted to and very tempted to have a sexual encounter with a current neighbor lady. You are doing everything you can to fight off the temptation because you love her so much. You fear that if you continue in your present residence that Satan will tempt you more and more. Before you say half of that, she will be at the Uhaul dealer!!

Ps. Dont move for sports alone. If coaching is bad, that's another story.

You better call Coach X and verbally commit while your at it! He likes the young boys!

As a Maryville fan I think you should choose Maryville. Maryville has one of the best school systems around. Maryville Football has the best coaching staff in the state bar none.

Alcoa would be a great place to go if you want your sons to win championships in football. As long as Gary Rankin is at Alcoa. The Tornadoes will keep on winning championships.

In Baseball no one comes close to Farragut.

Thanks for the advice guys. Just to clarify though. My job in Maryville is permanent. I work for the State and am provided with a vehicle to drive so there is no cost associated with my commute, only time.

As part of my job I travel to projects in Blount, Loudon, and Monroe Counties.

My kids are good students but the schools in Jefferson County are not rated as high as the Maryville or Farragut schools.

One of the concerns my wife has is that they won't be "stars" if we move to Maryville or Farragut. She may be right. Who knows.

Last edited:
And maybe the kids decide tomorrow that they want to focus on some type of scientific research and never play sports again.

If the schools are substantially better, great. But bringing sports into the equation, particularly when they're 9 and 11....I'm not a fan of that.

I agree Ohio Vol. Sports are only part of the equation. I commute two hours a day but if Jefferson County schools were better I would not have a problem staying here.

Last edited:

Help me convince my wife and boys (9 & 11) that we need to move to Alcoa, Maryville, or Farragut. They do not want to move. My wife is happy here. She has her friends and the boys are big fish in a relatively small pond.

Coach Quarels recruits pretty well in Jefferson County anyways. He picked up a RB recruit from there about 4 years ago that was one of the top rushers in the state the year before and I think he ended up spending most of his time on the pine at Maryville.

If Maryville wants your kids, Quarels will offer a nice incentive package for your family. (seriously... this happend for real).

No idea. Soccer is one of the few sports my boys don't play. Obviously a lot can happen by the time they get to high school but that would suck to ride the pine at Maryville when they might be able to contribute at Jefferson County

For now the wife has spoken and she wants to stay in Jefferson County. I'm still working on her though. Maryville and Karns are possibilities although Karns is unlikely.

VN Store

Back