Highschool Football Workout Plan

RockyTop411

Hey guys, I bet most of you have played HSF or atleast worked out before and I need some ideas how to get ripped in the offseason. Ideas? Since its early give me ideas to start- Run/Sprint drills, feet drills, how much to lift in a 5'7-5'8 height range. Thanks guys, and GBO. :rock:

- RockyTop411

EDIT: PM me if you have anything else that can help me.

I reccomend power cleans. That is probrably the best workout to work on hip speed and explosiveness. And weight it all depends. You can't just give a number to lift. It depends on weight, how long you have worked out etc.

Last edited:
Get an extremely fat friend and let him hit you 30 times daily. Get some toughness real quick. screw lifting. Good ole southern tackling drills.

What we do is lift weights for an hour. Power cleans, squats, bench press, incline. And then we run Owl Street for an hour. Or in our indoor facility.

Work on the big three. Bench, squat, and power clean. And another great tip, work out with someone who will push you it helps a lot!

Lunges, Step Ups, and Interval Training, and push ups for explosiveness.

I'm a baseball guy, so nipples to knee caps is all you need in my world...

I've heard powercleans are tremendously effective.

They are ask any coach if you want explosion in ANY sport baseball, football, golf, basketball anything Power Cleans will help a lot. but Be careful make sure you're doing them right or you might hurt yourself

Look up crossfit football if you are working out on your own.... its a real work out plan that would bulk you up and increase your endurance

I do crossfit workouts, and thats it now. I played football in the past and did my coaches and trainers workouts, but crossfit is a much more effective workout than anything I have ever done. They also have a program just for football, check it out on crossfit.com. I wish I knew about this program while I was playing.

Just remember to stay balanced.I've seen so many kids in HS football that have huge dead lifts,power clean,squat,bench,etc...then they get on the field and they are slow,can't get off (or stay on) their blocks,stiff hips,and have lousy footwork.

The workouts mentioned are great,and will give you a good foundation,but make sure you cross train,and work on your athleticism.

Hey guys, I bet most of you have played HSF or atleast worked out before and I need some ideas how to get ripped in the offseason. Ideas? Since its early give me ideas to start- Run/Sprint drills, feet drills, how much to lift in a 5'7-5'8 height range. Thanks guys, and GBO. :rock:

- RockyTop411

EDIT: PM me if you have anything else that can help me.

What position do you normally play, what position are you trying out for, and do you normally play both sides of the ball (or is it a possibility)?

You could do the Pahokee/Glades workout program. Simply set the sugar cane fields on fire and chase the rabbits. Once you have mastered catching and killing them barehanded, you'll have the agility you need.

Santonio Holmes and Anquan Boldin talked about doing this. Nuke claimed to have done it as well, but I'm betting he got them with a BB gun...

You could do the Pahokee/Glades workout program. Simply set the sugar cane fields on fire and chase the rabbits. Once you have mastered catching and killing them barehanded, you'll have the agility you need.

Santonio Holmes and Anquan Boldin talked about doing this. Nuke claimed to have done it as well, but I'm betting he got them with a BB gun...

The rabbits didn't even have a cheeseburger though!

Sprints are the best. Sprint 10 yards rest 10 seconds, Sprint 20 yards rest 20 seconds, do this alway to 100 yards. How many yards you sprint is how many seconds you rest. Always keep in mind if you are trying to put on muscle mass never do more than 20 minutes of cardio in a days time.

OL/DL and now DE/TE. I am 160lb. 5'7. Looking to put on more weight.

Ohio Vol is a good man to talk to when it comes to drills.He's gave me great advice on drills for my son(just a freshman)who is also on DL/OL and plays some DE. If I'm not mistaken he coaches ball in Ohio,and they some very good HS football in the Cincy area.

IMO you do need to put on some more weight,but I tell you what the most skilled offensive lineman we had on our team in 2008 was 165 lbs Senior.The kid had fantastic technique,played smart,and on a consistent bases went up against guys in the 250+ range,and usually whipped the other guy.

What kind of offense/defense does your team run?

Last edited:
Ohio Vol is a good man to talk to when it comes to drills.He's gave me great advice on drills for my son(just a freshman)who is also on DL/OL and plays some DE. If I'm not mistaken he coaches ball in Ohio,and they some very good HS football in the Cincy area.

IMO you do need to put on some more weight,but I tell you what the most skilled offensive lineman we had on our team in 2008 was 165 lbs Senior.The kid had fantastic technique,played smart,and on a consistent bases went up against guys in the 250+ range,and usually whipped the other guy.

What kind of offense/defense does your team run?

Very conservitive offense. I-Form. 4-3. But with the coach fired, I can't tell now. :dunno:

Plyometrics.

Plyometrics are certainly beneficial, but for someone without the base of strength, coordination, and proprioception, something more basic like jumping rope would be better until that foundation can be laid.

For those who are still in high school and looking for workouts, there are a few coaches and trainers on here who'd be happy to share information. I think it's safe to say that any one of us could honestly say, "If we had this information when we were younger, there's so much more we could have done."

VN Store

Back