Alcoa, former Riverdale Coach Gary Rankin 'best in state'.

volfan2024

“Wanna play ball scarecrow “
4 Championships at Riverdale and 4 at Alcoa now. That pretty much solidifies his "king of the hill' status as best football coach in high school.
Hats off the Maryville. I had heard this Memphis team was a good one and apparently what I heard was correct.

White Station was very impressive last night. It looked like Maryville was out-atheleted last night.

Rankin is a very good coach, but Riverdale and Alcoa are probably 2 of the the 5 easiest schools in the state to succeed at. Alcoa's overall talent is unmatched and they're 3A while it's common knowledge that the best football players in Murfreesboro ended up at Riverdale when he was there.

Rankin is a very good coach, but Riverdale and Alcoa are probably 2 of the the 5 easiest schools in the state to succeed at. Alcoa's overall talent is unmatched and they're 3A while it's common knowledge that the best football players in Murfreesboro ended up at Riverdale when he was there.

I could be mistaken,but isn't the county Alcoa is in open enrollment? In my county you can't go out of your zone no matter what,unless you go to a private school.

I think the Alcoa/Maryville county does it right by letting the kids go where they want.

Sorry if this is slightly off topic,and yes Rankin is the best coach in Tennessee,and probably one of the best in the Southeast.

You have to live in the city of Alcoa, pay a small tuition, or have a guardian employed by the system to go there. Same with Maryville.

umm not even remotely true

when Rankin first got to Riverdale, Oakland under David Alsup was top dog in Rutherford County and one of the top 5 programs in the state of TN

Rankin stole players from all over the midstate - but he didnt take em from the other Murfreesboro school. At the time there were only 2 high school football teams in Murfreesboro

Rankin is a great coach.

umm not even remotely true

when Rankin first got to Riverdale, Oakland under David Alsup was top dog in Rutherford County and one of the top 5 programs in the state of TN

Rankin stole players from all over the midstate - but he didnt take em from the other Murfreesboro school. At the time there were only 2 high school football teams in Murfreesboro

Rankin is a great coach.

That was pretty close to what I typed to be "not even remotely true."

maybe in bizarro world?

you said rankin got the boros best players..thats not true at all and an insult to the rutherford county board of education.

the opposite is true, he faced an uphill road against a state power with a local legend as head coach.

dont dismiss the job he did at riverdale

ok name one that was zoned oakland and went to riverdale

you dont wanna argue this with me, you dont know what your talkin about. i lived it.
hell i could probably have gerald griffin log on to discuss it if youd like.

I'm not naming anyone. Any Murfreesboro resident I've ever personally talked to about this says that the best football players somehow ended up at Riverdale when Rankin was there, and yes, out of their zone.

I'm not naming anyone. Any Murfreesboro resident I've ever personally talked to about this says that the best football players somehow ended up at Riverdale when Rankin was there, and yes, out of their zone.

so now you say its second hand rumor, which is ok for a message board i guess even if its slander

dont guess youd name a boro resident either eh? since this is such a big deal and peoples lives are in danger i guess you think?

im a murfreesboro resident telling you thats not true. yeah he got locke from and a few players from mid TN but kids growing up in murfreesboro prefer to go to oakland, at least they did in the 90's. now Seigal is the school they all want to go to

duke,griffin,peebles,bryant etc all were zoned riverdale. i grew up with these guys

just admit you repeated a rumor or made an assumption that you know nothing about....its freakin hilarious you say you wont "name names"

so now you say its second hand rumor, which is ok for a message board i guess even if its slander

dont guess youd name a boro resident either eh? since this is such a big deal and peoples lives are in danger i guess you think?

im a murfreesboro resident telling you thats not true. yeah he got locke from and a few players from mid TN but kids growing up in murfreesboro prefer to go to oakland, at least they did in the 90's. now Seigal is the school they all want to go to

duke,griffin,peebles,bryant etc all were zoned riverdale. i grew up with these guys

just admit you repeated a rumor or made an assumption that you know nothing about....its freakin hilarious you say you wont "name names"

Hey, if you want to believe that Riverdale recruited middle Tennessee but only accepted Murfreesboro players zoned for the school out of respect for the Rutherford County Board of Education, that's fine. I'm going to stick with what I've heard from guys I personally know that grew up in Murfreesboro. And again, I'm not naming their names on an anonymous message board.

Last edited:
Hey, if you want to believe that Riverdale recruited middle Tennessee but only accepted Murfreesboro players zoned for the school out of respect for the Rutherford County Board of Education, that's fine. I'm going to stick with what I've heard from guys I personally know that grew up in Murfreesboro. And again, I'm not naming their names on an anonymous message board.

well, your "guys" were just spreadin rumors. now you know the truth.

id bet you have no guys. id bet you heard a eric locke story and ran with it in your head.

80% of murfreesboro at the time wanted Oakland to run things. the 2 Nolan brothers were principals at each school at the time and such stuff was watched very closely

in an ironic twist, Mikki Allen, the best athlete in the 90's in mufreesboro ended up at Brentwood Academy and then played on the 98 Vols

I don't know much about Alcoa's team, but I wanted to see if anyone might know who the kid is that has signed with Kentucky?

I know for a fact that a high school athlete can pretty easily make arrangements to go to a school outside of their zone in Rutherford County. A few of my half brothers friends did it as well as my cousin. It happens all the time in Murfreesboro.

I know i am from where he coached till the early 90s. We will never win the state as long as hes there. If we make to the 3rd we usually meet up with them other than this year we got beat by York.I got watch Cobb his senior year put a whipping on us.

Best coach and a great talent poacher.
I wish he would have done it while he was here.Jk.I have always heard that he was a good recruiter.I do find it odd for so many of his kids leaving for Div 1 schools.Wish he would go to 4a or something.You guys have a good Christmas.

VN Store

Back