Two best teams in state,Riverdale at Maryville, collide!

volfan2024

“Wanna play ball scarecrow “
At least with the info I'm seeing these two will meet.
Remember Alcoa's(Maryville's lone loss) coach Rankin coached at Riverdale and won state championships there as well.One thing I would like to point out concerning Riverdale's offense, the white running back for Riverdale, (Davenport ?), sophomore, #5, is very fast. He and Riverdale's qb are excellent players.The defense has some head knockers as well. Expect a good game but I will go with Riverdale 21-14.

George Quarles....! :eek:k:...:),,,,,

and, btw...Alcoa might dissagree with not being considered the best team in the state...?

Last edited:
Remember Alcoa's(Maryville's lone loss) coach Rankin coached at Riverdale and won state championships there as well.One thing I would like to point out concerning Riverdale's offense, the white running back for Riverdale, (Davenport ?), sophomore, #5, is very fast. He and Riverdale's qb are excellent players.The defense has some head knockers as well. Expect a good game but I will go with Riverdale 21-14.

I agree, I played for Rankin back in the 90's and we won a state championship and went to two other Championship games. He is a great coach, won the last 3 4 A titles at Alcoa. I was a little worried about this new coach, but they are looking better. Everybody knows that Rutherford County is the king of football in the state of TN when it comes ot 5A now 6A ball and Riverdale is the best traditional out of Oakland and Smyrna. Go Warriors!!!!!!!!!!!! Get a fifth title.

I played for Riverdale and Rankin from 99-01. They expect the best year in and year out. After last year I was ready for the new coach to leave, but he has done a good job gettin the boys back. Riverdale is 8-1 in semifinal play. I am looking forward to this one. I have wanted to see this matchup and wanted to play against Maryville when I was there. This will be a great game and I will be heading to the game. Go Warriors! c/o 2002 2001 State Champ

Oh and Rankin played for TN and was Fulmer's roomate. Fulmer came and talked at our football banquet sometimes. Even though he played for TN he used to diss Fulmer in our meetings when TN was about to play Florida. He would say the talent is equal and TN thinks they are going to win, but FL will. He would say that is like us with Oakland, they are all jacked up, but after the game settles down we will destroy them. I hated to hear that being a Vol fan, but I knew coming from a former Vol it was true. He knew Fulmer well it seemed.

Last edited:
I played for Riverdale and Rankin from 99-01. They expect the best year in and year out. After last year I was ready for the new coach to leave, but he has done a good job gettin the boys back. Riverdale is 8-1 in semifinal play. I am looking forward to this one. I have wanted to see this matchup and wanted to play against Maryville when I was there. This will be a great game and I will be heading to the game. Go Warriors! c/o 2002 2001 State Champ

I think 9-1 in state semi finals. That includes three wins over Oak Ridge when I went there. My senior year, we played them in the second round up there. We had actually lost 3 games in the regular season, but we beat them in their house, that train track was blowing before the game, but not after. After the game they gave us hot chocolate and we joked that it was poisoned.

Oh okay. I wasn't sure if I was missing a year or not. I do know this though. Ralph Kings TD record will be broken next week when Alcoa plays Elizabethton. Toney tied the record last night. Rankin is doing it again. Saw Alcoa play Maryville from the sideline. Total domination the whole game on the part of Alcoa. Best small high school team I have seen this year and probably ever.

I was at the Riverdale-Oakland game last night and it did not dissappoint. I saw 2 very very good teams play.. alot of big hits even on that rb #5..he got lit up..the better team won!

Oh okay. I wasn't sure if I was missing a year or not. I do know this though. Ralph Kings TD record will be broken next week when Alcoa plays Elizabethton. Toney tied the record last night. Rankin is doing it again. Saw Alcoa play Maryville from the sideline. Total domination the whole game on the part of Alcoa. Best small high school team I have seen this year and probably ever.

I totally agree. To give some here on VN an understanding of how bad Alcoa dominated Maryville, Alcoa did not throw a single pass. Not once!They had 3rd and long at least 3 times that I can think of and still ran Toney down their throats for 1st downs.

You Riverdale boys slow down on the Oakland teams in the 90's. I went to Oakland from 92-96. We lost almost every football game then. The reason was clear to all kids at the school, all the athletes played baseball and basketball. I played baseball and basketball. Baseball coach didn't want us playing football, we ranked nationally. Basketball guys the same, great team, none played football. You take these guys and put them on the football team and who knows. One of Riverdale's best played b-ball too, Griffin, didn't fair to well against us on the court.

How long has Rankin been at Alcoa? This is the first year that Alcoa has beaten Maryville since Rankin has been coach...

Also, what was Riverdale's margin of victory over Farragut? While the regular season game at Farragut was close, Maryville took care of Farragut pretty handily in the playoff game at Maryville Friday night and it looks like they are good physical shape for the semi-final game with Riverdale Friday night. On the other hand, I understand Riverdale's game with Oakland was very physical and several players were pretty well beat up ...

Should be an interesting game...

Last edited:
Agreed that this is the biggest matchup of the week. Look for the Elizabethton Cyclones to give Alcoa a great game too in 3A. Shawn Witten's boys are for real.

I won't be at the game, but I can hear the band from my backyard...though I live about a mile away from the school.
Go Rebs!

Farragut couldn't wait to play maryville and got beat. Bearden couldn't wait to play maryville and got beat. Dobynns bennett couldn't wait to play maryville and got shut out. Deja vu?

VN Store

Back