Murfreesboro, Cookeville, Chattanooga bidding for state football title game

KingNick865

THE #1 COLLEGE DIFFENCE
'Boro among football bidders | www.dnj.com | The Daily News Journal

It should stay in Middle TN. Anyplace other than Cookeville, Murfreesboro, or Nashville is impractical to hold it, because of the travel.

A few quotes from the article.......

This is the first bid under the new TSSAA guidelines, which requires a minimum monetary bid amount. For football, that bid is $231,000 per year. Carter chose not to disclose Chattanooga and Cookeville's bid amount.

The Knoxville News Sentinel reported Friday that the Knoxville Tourism and Sports Corporation planned on submitting a bid, but it would be well below the minimum bid requirement. Messages left with the organization was not returned Friday night on if it submitted a bid.

Seven cities — Chattanooga, Cookeville, Johnson City, Knoxville, Murfreesboro, Memphis and Nashville — had asked to receive information on the bid.

The winning bidder receives all the gate receipts, parking and concession revenues from the games, which will include two Division II championship games and six Division I games in a three-day span. Ticket prices have been increased from $10 to $12 beginning next season.

I agree it should be in middle Tennessee.

But it would sure be nice to see the football championships played in Knoxville :)

Why doesn't Ronnie C just designate where he wants it to go as he did in wrestling? Do the bidding requirements only apply in football?

I read a article here in chattanooga just a few weeks ago. They are really really wanting this at Finley Stadium. They are installing a new video board, got really nice facilities, etc. I think they could end up with the game.

Why doesn't Ronnie C just designate where he wants it to go as he did in wrestling? Do the bidding requirements only apply in football?

I think the spring fling also has those rules. If I were head of the Knoxville Tourism and Sports Corp., I'd go for the spring fling. You can't put in a minimum bid for the football state championships, so why not try to get 5 state title events at a lower price?

I always thought they should play the different classification's championships at different sites in the state. Maybe one year the 6A title game is in Memphis, another Murfreesboro, then Knoxville and Chattanooga. You can say it's unfair for teams to have to travel to each end of the state, but it's also unfair for mid-state teams to not have to travel more than a few hours.

I read a article here in chattanooga just a few weeks ago. They are really really wanting this at Finley Stadium. They are installing a new video board, got really nice facilities, etc. I think they could end up with the game.

I would love to see it happen I think the TSSAA knows that deep down they messed up when they took the Spring Fling out of Chattanooga it seems all you've heard since then is lack of attendance and loss of revenue when it comes to the SF not to mention when it was in Memphis the Baseball and Softball events were actually held out of state in Mississippi.

In Chattanooga the stadium is downtown good walking distance to restaurants/hotels or a quick bus ride from CARTA to the Tennessee Aquarium. The (Check current sponsor) Pavilion across the street from the stadium is great for pep rally's or tailgating before the games. I think they should give Chattanooga a chance on it.

Nashville or Murfreesboro ftw...unless they go to different cities every year, which wouldn't be bad.

I always thought they should play the different classification's championships at different sites in the state. Maybe one year the 6A title game is in Memphis, another Murfreesboro, then Knoxville and Chattanooga. You can say it's unfair for teams to have to travel to each end of the state, but it's also unfair for mid-state teams to not have to travel more than a few hours.

So, what do you propose we do about that? A fluid, dynamic location for each state title game?

So, what do you propose we do about that? A fluid, dynamic location for each state title game?

I was just saying that rotating the games for the different classes at different sites across the state would be interesting. That way every location that wanted to host the championships could and every game could be played on Saturday, allowing more fans to travel. It's really not economically likely that splitting the Spring Fling or Clinic Bowl games amongst cities would make nearly as much money.

Holding all of the championships in the mid-state does make sense because of travel, but it's disingenuous for TSSAA to publically hold that opinion as reasoning to not move the football championships yet grant Memphis/Mississippi the Spring Fling.

I think all state football championships should be played at LP field in Nashville. But my dream as a senior was to play a high school game at Neyland so I think K-town would be OK too.

I think all state football championships should be played at LP field in Nashville. But my dream as a senior was to play a high school game at Neyland so I think K-town would be OK too.

Up until the last couple of seasons, with all the construction, Neyland is where Knoxville held the high school jamboree. All players in Knoxville got to play a quarter in Neyland.

You are in awe when you step on the field. After a short time, it is "just" a football game. That said, I can't wait until they start doing the jamboree there again :)

If they have all the games at one site, it would have to be one with an artificial playing surface, like Chattanooga, Clarksville, or Murfreesboro. It would be difficult to maintain grass turf for 8 games in two weeks in December, and I doubt the Titans would allow that to happen at LP.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2009/may/09/hargis-dont-expect-state-football-finals-here/

Found this as I was browsing the PrepXtra section of the KNS. It lead me to this article. A few quotes.

“It’s going to be tough just because it seems like over the last few years the TSSAA wants to move everything to the center of the state,” Smith said. “It doesn’t help our thought process to know we’re making our presentation at a meeting in Murfreesboro.

“I think Chattanooga has more to offer in terms of facilities and attractions for fans and officials away from the games, but it comes down to whether they want to have the games at the best stadium, which is Finley, or keep it in the middle of the state.”

Chattanooga was the first host for the Spring Fling, growing it into a huge success for both the city and the TSSAA. But much like the Southeastern Conference women’s basketball tournament, that event eventually was seen as having outgrown the Scenic City and moved to Memphis.

Just last month Chattanooga had the state wrestling tournament taken away and moved to the midstate, leaving us with girls’ soccer as the only prep championship event still played here. Keeping championship events in the geographical center of the state will cut travel costs for most schools, which means that as long as Murfreesboro makes a genuine effort to retain any of the three crown jewels of high school events, that city will keep them.

I think the spring fling also has those rules. If I were head of the Knoxville Tourism and Sports Corp., I'd go for the spring fling. You can't put in a minimum bid for the football state championships, so why not try to get 5 state title events at a lower price?

Looks like I was right about Knoxville trying to go for the spring fling........

Heard a report a couple of days ago on WATE about the Knox. Tourism and Sports Corp. trying to go for the fling.

VN Store

Back