Clark Duncan to coach football at South-Doyle

I'm really torn right now. One one hand, didn't he win a state title at Powell back in 1991. On the other hand, from the three years I've spent at S-D, the man shows very little in terms of authority, something this S-D team desperately needs.

We'll just see how this all plays out. I hope it goes well for Coach Duncan, but I can tell you right now that for the 15-20 SD fans out there, a guy in-school was not the way the fans wanted this hiring to go.

Another thing, last year at SD, we started our 2008 season prep in January. From what I've heard, SD has one coach there, and almost nobody has shown up this year. 7-20 people is what I've heard per workout. It's March, and spring practice is somewhere around the bend in late April-early May. SD is def. behind the 8 Ball in terms of this year. I really hope that Coach Duncan's offense is simple and effective. It's not that the players are stupid, it's just that I think that our team will look like a 2A team on a 5A squad, and simple is definitely the way to go.

Last edited:
Clark Duncan... When I was freshman at DB I remember him running track for Unicoi Co. Remember him running the 100 (yards back then). He was FAST... Went to school with his brother Steve when he transferred to DB. Small world..

Best of luck to you Clark...

Clark is a very good football coach. He lost in the state championship game in 91 to Bretwood academy. Always had competitive teams at Powell. My friend is going to be an assistant coach at SDHS. They will improve.

Looks like alot of schools in Tennessee would want a coach that has played for a state title-17 years coaching in knoxville area after playing at Tennessee=consider youself blessed South Doyle fans!!!

Looks like alot of schools in Tennessee would want a coach that has played for a state title-17 years coaching in knoxville area after playing at Tennessee=consider youself blessed South Doyle fans!!!

I don't place a whole lot of priority on a coach's playing career. Sammy Baugh was one of the greatest football players of all time, but a mediocre coach.

However, I do see your point.

tn2_michael_clarke_duncan_1.jpg

VN Store

Back