Oak Ridge hires football coach

RockyTopGolfer

To be the man, you have to beat the man
Missed this if it has been posted.

Oak Ridge hires Hillsboro's Blade as football coach : Football : Knoxville News Sentinel

f Scott Blade has any weaknesses as a head football coach, Oak Ridge High School athletic director Mike Mullins said he couldn’t find one.

Mullins confirmed Tuesday afternoon that Nashville Hillsboro High School’s Blade has been hired as head football coach of the Wildcats.

“This sounds really kind of like a cliché, but Coach Blade had the entire package,” said Mullins.

“He has state championship experience, he has youth and he has high energy. Today’s announcement is a culmination of a comprehensive search process which was intended to identify a leader for our football program and serve our players and fans with class and dignity.”

Blade, 35, led Hillsboro to a 15-0 record and the state Class 4-A championship last season and compiled a three-year mark of 37-5 at the school. The Burros beat Maryville in the 4-A title game in December, ending the Rebels’ 74-game winning streak.

Coincidently, Oak Ridge and Maryville play on Sept. 24 this season in a much-anticipated game between two of the state’s most tradition-rich programs.

“We’re very excited and fortunate to have a person of Coach Scott Blade’s state championship pedigree leading our football program,” said Mullins, who led the search committee with Oak Ridge principal Chuck Carringer .

“He represents all of the qualities that we’re looking for in a head coach.”

Blade also served as assistant head coach and defensive coordinator at Canyon (Calif.) High School 2001-05.

Blade was an assistant coach at two junior colleges in California in the 1990s.

Blade, who was selected from a pool of more than 60 candidates according to Mullins, replaces Stanton Stevens at Oak Ridge.

“The administration was so professional and went through this whole process in a professional manner,” said Blade, who played linebacker (1993-94) at San Diego State University.

“I just felt like this was a great opportunity for me and my family.”

Blade, who will be introduced to the public today from 5:30 p.m. to 7 at Wildcat Arena, said the first order of business is to rekindle interest in an Oak Ridge program that has struggled in recent seasons.

“I’ve heard some of the interest is down. The first thing we’ve got to do is get a buzz going in the community. I think we’ll bring an exciting brand of offense and defense.”

Blade is a proponent of the spread offense — which he said he plans to implement at Oak Ridge — and last season showcased University of Tennessee signee Eric Gordon.

Henry County coach Joe Gaddis, who lost to Hillsboro in the semifinals two of the last three seasons, said Blade is a top-notch hire.

“I think he’ll get Oak Ridge back on track,” said Gaddis, who also served as head coach at Oak Ridge 1988-98.

“Hillsboro was always very talented, but they’ve been the best-coach team we’ve played the last three years. I think he’s a great choice.”

Blade said he wants to get to Oak Ridge quickly and he’s in the process of getting out of his contract at Hillsboro.

“My hope is he can get here as soon as possible,” said Mullins.

Missed this if it has been posted.

Oak Ridge hires Hillsboro's Blade as football coach : Football : Knoxville News Sentinel

f Scott Blade has any weaknesses as a head football coach, Oak Ridge High School athletic director Mike Mullins said he couldn’t find one.

Mullins confirmed Tuesday afternoon that Nashville Hillsboro High School’s Blade has been hired as head football coach of the Wildcats.

“This sounds really kind of like a cliché, but Coach Blade had the entire package,” said Mullins.

“He has state championship experience, he has youth and he has high energy. Today’s announcement is a culmination of a comprehensive search process which was intended to identify a leader for our football program and serve our players and fans with class and dignity.”

Blade, 35, led Hillsboro to a 15-0 record and the state Class 4-A championship last season and compiled a three-year mark of 37-5 at the school. The Burros beat Maryville in the 4-A title game in December, ending the Rebels’ 74-game winning streak.

Coincidently, Oak Ridge and Maryville play on Sept. 24 this season in a much-anticipated game between two of the state’s most tradition-rich programs.

“We’re very excited and fortunate to have a person of Coach Scott Blade’s state championship pedigree leading our football program,” said Mullins, who led the search committee with Oak Ridge principal Chuck Carringer .

“He represents all of the qualities that we’re looking for in a head coach.”

Blade also served as assistant head coach and defensive coordinator at Canyon (Calif.) High School 2001-05.

Blade was an assistant coach at two junior colleges in California in the 1990s.

Blade, who was selected from a pool of more than 60 candidates according to Mullins, replaces Stanton Stevens at Oak Ridge.

“The administration was so professional and went through this whole process in a professional manner,” said Blade, who played linebacker (1993-94) at San Diego State University.

“I just felt like this was a great opportunity for me and my family.”

Blade, who will be introduced to the public today from 5:30 p.m. to 7 at Wildcat Arena, said the first order of business is to rekindle interest in an Oak Ridge program that has struggled in recent seasons.

“I’ve heard some of the interest is down. The first thing we’ve got to do is get a buzz going in the community. I think we’ll bring an exciting brand of offense and defense.”

Blade is a proponent of the spread offense — which he said he plans to implement at Oak Ridge — and last season showcased University of Tennessee signee Eric Gordon.

Henry County coach Joe Gaddis, who lost to Hillsboro in the semifinals two of the last three seasons, said Blade is a top-notch hire.

“I think he’ll get Oak Ridge back on track,” said Gaddis, who also served as head coach at Oak Ridge 1988-98.

“Hillsboro was always very talented, but they’ve been the best-coach team we’ve played the last three years. I think he’s a great choice.”

Blade said he wants to get to Oak Ridge quickly and he’s in the process of getting out of his contract at Hillsboro.

“My hope is he can get here as soon as possible,” said Mullins.

I'm sure him beating Maryville had a lot to do with this hire. Hopefully it turns the Maryville vs Oak Ridge game back into a great match up.

I'm sure him beating Maryville had a lot to do with this hire. Hopefully it turns the Maryville vs Oak Ridge game back into a great match up.

:lolabove: It was never a great match up, Oak Ridge has historically owned Maryville.

Seems like a great hire. Maybe OR can get back to developing D1 talent; our new staff already has a relationship there.

Scott Blade is a fine football coach. Any coach who gets his team to beat the juggernaut that is Maryville is a good coach. Not to mention, I think that SportsCenter put that as a top 10 play.

To bad its a what have you done lately world. And Maryville has owned Oak Ridge lately.

Just curious but when has Maryville "owned" Oak Ridge lately. I graduated from ORHS in '02, and we never played them my whole time in HS, and haven't played them since, in fact I have no idea when the last time the two met was. And don't say in a preseason scrimmage or something like that, because that doesn't really count.

VN Store

Back