Powell to update their stadium

RockyTopGolfer

To be the man, you have to beat the man
Powell stadium contract OK'd : Football : Knoxville News Sentinel

Powell High School football players will have a renovated stadium to play in come fall.

The Knox County school board Wednesday unanimously approved an agreement with a Clinton company for repairs and upgrades to the school's stadium.

The $854,000 contract is with Evans Contracting Co. The funds were approved by the school board and Knox County Commission last year as part of the school system's capital plan for the 2008-09 school year.

"This was the last in a series of stadium upgrades we've done in the last five to six years to address life safety issues at some of the schools," schools spokesman Russ Oaks said.

Other stadium projects were done at Austin-East Performing Arts and Sciences Magnet, South-Doyle, Farragut, West and Carter high schools, he said.

The contract for the Powell stadium work will go before the Knox County Commission. Subject to approval, school officials expect the project to be completed before the school's first football game in the fall.

In other matters, the school board unanimously approved the first reading of an ethics policy that requires board members, among other things, to disclose their connections to civic or charitable organizations.

"I think it's a public-interest issue," board Vice Chairwoman Karen Carson said.

Honestly, is a stadium upgrade in this economy really needed?

If the operate like my place of work. They have budget money that HAS to be spent and this is how they are choosing to do it. Is that right or wrong? I think that is a matter of opinion. I know where I work we think the spending is crazy unless the group I work in is getting to do the spending. :)

If the operate like my place of work. They have budget money that HAS to be spent and this is how they are choosing to do it. Is that right or wrong? I think that is a matter of opinion. I know where I work we think the spending is crazy unless the group I work in is getting to do the spending. :)

You must work for DOE! :)

No harm intended, That is what it was like when I worked out at ORNL. The Powell stadium was in need of work back when I was in school (98-01)

There are schools in TN that are literally falling apart, teachers getting fired, and textbooks and other materials being cut......but they are able to upgrade a high school football stadium. That leaves me scratching my head.

There are schools in TN that are literally falling apart, teachers getting fired, and textbooks and other materials being cut......but they are able to upgrade a high school football stadium. That leaves me scratching my head.

I cannot disagree. I have no idea on the Powell situation. I am just on assumptions of how I have seen budget systems work.

Last edited:
Typical of how our government works...money is budgeted for a school, military base, whatever, and if it doesn't get spent, they lose it, so they spend it. It doesn't really encourage wise spending. Go go government waste.

If it is for safety concerns, you have to do it...otherwise you have no spectators, no concessions, nothing...

Farragut did their stadium last year... it was literally sliding something like a foot year down the hill and was very dangerous.

I agree. In the town that I live in the Coach/community upgraded the bleachers/field for about $300,000-$325,000,and a BUNCH of people in the community put up the money,and many people co-signed for the rest of it at about a grand ( or 2)per person.The county isn't out a dime in this case.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back