New Head Coaches this fall (Chattanooga area)

CagleMtnVol

There will be two new head coaches when the teams hit the field this fall in the Chattanooga area and both will be out of the new District 7-AA. Notre Dame and Bledsoe County will both have new men in charge and both were hired from within each program.

Notre Dame didn't wait Less than one week after the resignation of head football coach Charlie Wiggins, Notre Dame High School has a new coach. Josh Sellers was hired on February 12th.

Sellers served as an assistant with Wiggins' and the Irish last season.

Bledsoe County after the firing (resignation?) of head Coach Hubert Roberson has promoted Jason Reel to head coach of the Warriors.

Who cares. Has nothing to do with volnation or the Tennessee Volunteers. Go to a Tennessee High school message board. Ur last name wouldn't happen to be Dunlap would it?

Who cares. Has nothing to do with volnation or the Tennessee Volunteers. Go to a Tennessee High school message board. Ur last name wouldn't happen to be Dunlap would it?

I his defense although I could also care less I have seen lots of posts on here regarding tennessee area high schools in the past.

Was also posted in the " tennessee high school sports" forum so I would equate your post to an unquestionable failure.

This is the High School Sports forum. It is relative to VolNation!

It is posted EXACTLY where it should be!

No need to be a jerk because you are not interested. Just overlook it and go on.

Last edited:
Kinda off topic... but .... Hmm - who does Ooltewah get in the next year or two? I think Ted Gatewood (former coach but came back to the staff and was coaching under Monroe) is moving to coach the new high school opening. I doubt Ted would leave that school after a year or 2 to come coach the Owls again.

I don't really think they should promote from within unless they promote Coach Henderson who is a high energy guy.

I played for Wiggins, he's a good coach, and a great playcaller on offense. He stayed a bit longer than most of us thought he would.

Wiggins is one of the best guys you could ever meet.....He also has a great offensive mind.....that last deep playoff run with the loss to Livingston......That game alone had some pretty impressive plays straight from the hip........I hate that he left ....

Kinda off topic... but .... Hmm - who does Ooltewah get in the next year or two? I think Ted Gatewood (former coach but came back to the staff and was coaching under Monroe) is moving to coach the new high school opening. I doubt Ted would leave that school after a year or 2 to come coach the Owls again.

I don't really think they should promote from within unless they promote Coach Henderson who is a high energy guy.
I would say Benny picks his sucessor....

I would be surprised. He hasn't won anything since being here and hasn't been here that long. Gatewood is the one that really build the program from crap.

Well looks like another position has opened in the area. The Grundy County Herald is reporting that Jim Swafford has resigned as teacher and head football coach at Grundy County High School effective immediately due to personal reasons.

If true this would mean that 3 of the 5 teams in the new District 7-AA would have new head coaches this fall.

Wiggins is one of the best guys you could ever meet.....He also has a great offensive mind.....that last deep playoff run with the loss to Livingston......That game alone had some pretty impressive plays straight from the hip........I hate that he left ....

That was a fun year, but I think we were better the year before. And yeah, he would just come up with stuff over the season, but he made everything so easy.

Be on the lookout for Signal Mountain's program and their coach Bill Price over the next few years. They are a new school and could only play JV this past season, but I've played for coach Price and if he stays there, I predict that he will build that program to elite status. He is a great high school coach.

I personally have a hard time rooting for a school that had no business being built in the first place, in a time when the county school board is now considering closing up to 10 schools next year because of lack of funding. There was no overcrowding at Red Bank. SMHS was built so all the kids up there didn't have to go to school with all those wretched middle class hoodlums in the valley. Cheers to Signal getting slaughtered in every sport.

Coach Wilson does adore his mom.

He won't be without a coaching job long. Some Knox area team will be lucky enough to get him.

is Marion County in the new 7aa
No they will be in District 6-A.

District 6-A

Richard Hardy*
Sale Creek*
Van Buren County*
Lookout Valley = 1A
Marion County = 2A
Signal Mountain = 2A
South Pittsburg = 1A
Whitwell = 1A

*-Non Football = These schools will join it for all other sports.

The # beside each school represents what class they will be in once playoffs start for Football.

District 7-AA

Bledsoe County = 3A
Chattanooga Christian = 3A
Grundy County = 3A
Notre Dame = 4A
Sequatchie County = 3A

thanks. thats kinda confusing. is van buren not big enough for a football team?
I think they are big enough for 1A but I think the cost it would take them to start a program (equipment, field, stadium) has kept them from it. Its my understanding that anyone who wants to play football can co-op (I think that's what they call it?) to White County (Sparta) and plays there. That's like what several kids from Sequatchie Co. has done the past couple of winters who wants to wrestle they get to grapple with Wrestling team at Whitwell.

I personally have a hard time rooting for a school that had no business being built in the first place, in a time when the county school board is now considering closing up to 10 schools next year because of lack of funding. There was no overcrowding at Red Bank. SMHS was built so all the kids up there didn't have to go to school with all those wretched middle class hoodlums in the valley. Cheers to Signal getting slaughtered in every sport.

:lolabove:

Another area coach has resigned, last Monday Whitwell Head Coach Tim Taylor resigned as head coach of the Tigers. He informed the team of his decision on Tuesday citing personal reasons.

The Tigers will now be looking for there 4th head coach in four years with Phillip Condra and Sam Montgomery the previous head coaches for the Tigers.

Some interesting news Grundy County has finally hired a head coach they have promoted from within the program and hired Nick Bryant a former Grundy County player who has been an assistant coach at Grundy County the past three years.

Danny Wilson who resigned as Head Coach at Cleveland has been hired as the Girls Basketball Head Coach at South Pittsburg High School. Wilson will likely also be an assistant coach for Pirate Football program. Wilson was Head Coach for the Pirates Football program before going to Cleveland.

Jesus, could they make it any easier for South Pitt? Marion County is the only threat in the region. And how the hell did Notre Dame get thrown into 4A?

VN Store

Back